The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

First year Reading Psychology student- ask me anything!

Hey there.
I'm a first year Psychology student at Reading Uni.
If you have any questions about the course, the university in general, the social life, the area or any other questions feel free to ask me! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eloiseee
Hey there.
I'm a first year Psychology student at Reading Uni. I'm currently living in Mackinder Hall and loving it.
If you have any questions about the course, the university in general, the social life, the area or any other questions feel free to ask me! :smile:

Hey, I'm debating between Reading and Soton as my firm choice for Psychology and was just wondering how you found the course? whether you think what you learn is interesting etc?

And also, what is the town like? is it nice/have lots of things to do?

Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by nadinevictoria
Hey, I'm debating between Reading and Soton as my firm choice for Psychology and was just wondering how you found the course? whether you think what you learn is interesting etc?

And also, what is the town like? is it nice/have lots of things to do?

The course is extremely interesting. In first year, we are studying many areas of psychology, ranging from neuroscience to developmental and even sports psychology. There are compulsory psychology modules, but if you wish, you can choose up to half of your modules in other subjects, such as business, biology etc. Very cool!
The professors and tutors are very helpful and available. I have not encountered lack of support or help from anyone.

The town is nice. There are a LOT of night clubs to go out to in town, and you'll have your usual restaurants like Nando's, Pizza Hut, etc. Basically, there is everything you need in town. Reading is a small city though, so if you're from London or somewhere big it could be a bit of a change. :smile:
Hey there.
I'm a first year Psychology student at Reading Uni. I'm currently living in Mackinder Hall and loving it.

How is the transport in Reading? And how close are your classes and halls to the town centre?

Im also trying to decide between psychology at reading or psychology with law at UWE. Are there optinal modules to choose from and do you know if Law is incorporated at all in these optional modules?

Cheers :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aidangarrett12
How is the transport in Reading? And how close are your classes and halls to the town centre?
Cheers :smile:

I don't do psychology but I can answer your first question ( :tongue: ); the buses are fairly good, the number 21/21a goes from Reading Station through town and then goes straight onto campus. Buses are frequent and are every 5 minutes which is pretty decent when you compare it to other towns like Bath, Bristol etc. The 21 also runs 24 hours but of course isn't as frequent at night as it is during term time.

You could walk it into town from Benyon/Sherfield/St Pats/St George's (the off campus halls) and it would take you about 20-25 minutes but a bus would take you something like eight minutes :tongue: The halls on campus will take you a bit longer and whatever you do, don't go for Wessex or Bridges hall if you wanna be close to town as those two halls are the furthest away :tongue:

hope this helps!
The course is extremely interesting. In first year, we are studying many areas of psychology, ranging from neuroscience to developmental and even sports psychology. There are compulsory psychology modules, but if you wish, you can choose up to half of your modules in other subjects, such as business, biology etc. Very cool!
The professors and tutors are very helpful and available. I have not encountered lack of support or help from anyone.

The town is nice. There are a LOT of night clubs to go out to in town, and you'll have your usual restaurants like Nando's, Pizza Hut, etc. Basically, there is everything you need in town. Reading is a small city though, so if you're from London or somewhere big it could be a bit of a change. :smile:

Thanks, i'm really interested in forensic/clinical psychology and found that Reading offers modules more to my liking in these areas than Southampton does.

Also, do you think Reading is a safe town to live in? and in terms of buses, taxis etc to and from town, is it quite expensive to travel? and do you have food shops near by?

Sorry for so many questions haha :frown: i'm coming to Reading for an applicant day on Saturday - i'm very excited!
Reply 6
Thanks, i'm really interested in forensic/clinical psychology and found that Reading offers modules more to my liking in these areas than Southampton does.

Also, do you think Reading is a safe town to live in? and in terms of buses, taxis etc to and from town, is it quite expensive to travel? and do you have food shops near by?

Sorry for so many questions haha :frown: i'm coming to Reading for an applicant day on Saturday - i'm very excited!

The university area is really safe. I've heard of the odd robbery in town but you'll find that in any city you go. Are you planning on living in halls for your first year?
An all day pass for the bus is £2.40 and you can go anywhere as many times as you want in a day. You can also buy a term pass which makes it cheaper!
There is a supermarket on campus with most things you'll probably need, but town is a 25 min walk and 10 mins on the bus and there you will find sainsbury's, marks and spencer, etc!

Good luck on saturday!! :smile:
The university area is really safe. I've heard of the odd robbery in town but you'll find that in any city you go. Are you planning on living in halls for your first year?
An all day pass for the bus is £2.40 and you can go anywhere as many times as you want in a day. You can also buy a term pass which makes it cheaper!
There is a supermarket on campus with most things you'll probably need, but town is a 25 min walk and 10 mins on the bus and there you will find sainsbury's, marks and spencer, etc!

Good luck on saturday!! :smile:

I am looking to stay in halls, preferably ones which are very sociable and have a good vibe and are on campus - are there any that you would recommend? I am looking for an en-suite room :smile:

And that doesn't sound too bad :smile: thank you for the information it's been very helpful - do you like a lot of the shops that are there too for clothes etc?
Hey there.

What do you want to do after your degree?
Reply 9
I am looking to stay in halls, preferably ones which are very sociable and have a good vibe and are on campus - are there any that you would recommend? I am looking for an en-suite room :smile:

And that doesn't sound too bad :smile: thank you for the information it's been very helpful - do you like a lot of the shops that are there too for clothes etc?

Well there are premium en-suite and standard en-suite rooms.
Halls with standard en-suite are: dunsden crescent, benyon, sherfield, st george's, greenow and mccombie.
Premium en-suite rooms are in: mackinder, childs, stenton and bridges.
In these kinds of halls you will have your own bathroom. The main difference between the two is that in premium en-suite rooms you get a big bed (4ft wide!) but it is more expensive.
I live in Mackinder so I'll have a personal bias towards it! But it is extremely sociable and fun. I've also heard st. george's is quite sociable as well.

& Yes, there are a lot of clothes shops in town. The Oracle, the local shopping mall, is really big and you'll find lovely clothes shops there, like Zara, Topshop, Next, etc! You also get 10% student discount in most shops.
Reply 10
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
What do you want to do after your degree?

I'd like to go into Clinical Psychology. I definitely want to pursue a Master's degree and perhaps a doctorate.
Well there are premium en-suite and standard en-suite rooms.
Halls with standard en-suite are: dunsden crescent, benyon, sherfield, st george's, greenow and mccombie.
Premium en-suite rooms are in: mackinder, childs, stenton and bridges.
In these kinds of halls you will have your own bathroom. The main difference between the two is that in premium en-suite rooms you get a big bed (4ft wide!) but it is more expensive.
I live in Mackinder so I'll have a personal bias towards it! But it is extremely sociable and fun. I've also heard st. george's is quite sociable as well.

& Yes, there are a lot of clothes shops in town. The Oracle, the local shopping mall, is really big and you'll find lovely clothes shops there, like Zara, Topshop, Next, etc! You also get 10% student discount in most shops.

Awesome, you've been a really great help :smile: thank you so much for replying. Maybe see you later this year :wink: haha. xx
Reply 12
Awesome, you've been a really great help :smile: thank you so much for replying. Maybe see you later this year :wink: haha. xx

No problem!!! If you have any more questions, just let me know! :smile: And yes, hopefully! x
Reply 13
Hey! I guess my main issue I have with uni is that I don't really drink a lot and you could probably say I'm quite introverted, and I worry that I'm going to struggle at freshers because of this! Are there normally a range of activities at freshers that don't involve going out to the union every night?! Just wondering!
Reply 14
Original post by HollyWR9
Hey! I guess my main issue I have with uni is that I don't really drink a lot and you could probably say I'm quite introverted, and I worry that I'm going to struggle at freshers because of this! Are there normally a range of activities at freshers that don't involve going out to the union every night?! Just wondering!

Hey! I had the exact same concern before coming here! I am quite introverted myself. You don't have to go out every night, I went out maybe 3-4 nights out of 10 and was perfectly fine, made many friends and had fun! There are a range of activities around campus for meeting new people. Joining a society is strongly encouraged and there are over 40 I believe here, for all sorts of tastes and hobbies. I remember we also went out for some good food some nights with my flatmates, so there will be nights you just go out for a nice meal or stay in the flat :smile:
Reply 15
Hey! I had the exact same concern before coming here! I am quite introverted myself. You don't have to go out every night, I went out maybe 3-4 nights out of 10 and was perfectly fine, made many friends and had fun! There are a range of activities around campus for meeting new people. Joining a society is strongly encouraged and there are over 40 I believe here, for all sorts of tastes and hobbies. I remember we also went out for some good food some nights with my flatmates, so there will be nights you just go out for a nice meal or stay in the flat :smile:

Yay that's good! I'm definitely thinking of joining a few societies - do they do activities in the evening in freshers week? :smile:
are people noisy when they have sex/listen to music or does that depend on the hall? being serious since my current neighbours are really noisy sometimes and i cant get to sleep...

is there a low ratio of black people? asking because im black and dont really want to be left out...no problem with other races though

how flexible is reading on grade requirements for psychology?
Reply 17
Original post by scrawlx101
are people noisy when they have sex/listen to music or does that depend on the hall? being serious since my current neighbours are really noisy sometimes and i cant get to sleep...

is there a low ratio of black people? asking because im black and dont really want to be left out...no problem with other races though

how flexible is reading on grade requirements for psychology?

Hey! It definitely depends on where you live in terms of noisiness. I've been able to hear my flatmate having sex once or twice, and music can be heard even if its coming from outside in Mackinder. But I can only speak for this hall. When this happens, I just put some ear plugs in and that resolves it.

Reading University has a very culturally diverse campus. You'll see people from all races and nationalities around. Although most people are white I think there are many black people and many asian people since Reading recently opened a campus in Malaysia. Don't worry, you won't be left out at all! :smile:

I'm not sure how strict they are on grade requirements but I've met two people who got lower grades than expected in Psychology, ringed them and still got in.
Reply 18
Original post by HollyWR9
Yay that's good! I'm definitely thinking of joining a few societies - do they do activities in the evening in freshers week? :smile:

Hey!
There is a societies fair in freshers week where you can hear about each society (and get free stuff :P) and throughout the following days and weeks during the evening they have free trials for societies, such as trying the badminton society for a day to see if you like it!
Hey!
There is a societies fair in freshers week where you can hear about each society (and get free stuff :P) and throughout the following days and weeks during the evening they have free trials for societies, such as trying the badminton society for a day to see if you like it!

what do you study?

Quick Reply

Latest