The Student Room Group

can somebody help me ?

hello everybody !
this is my first time to post in the student room but i really need each and every single help. am a GCSE student and am studying as Chemistry . i have a big problem with paper 1 i can't cop up with the questions i can't find the key to the question . in other words , the idea that can help me to solve the question while am reading it doesn't come to me at all . so i thought of practicing more and more of paper 1 maybe i would improve and get new ideas of the questions that may come. so where i can find good Paper 1 questions so that i can practice more and more i don't mind even if i solve from other curriculum or syllabuses that is somehow related to the CIE syllabus .?
if anybody has any other advice that can help me with this problem it will much appreciated
and thanks in advance <3 <3 <3 <3
Reply 1
Its been a while since i did chemistry. But It sounds like your exam technique needs improving. the way you have described it seems to suggest you don't know what words in a question mean what? like solve, explain describe etc.

basic words are here http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/NQBusinessEducationCommandWords.pdf

if it does not make sense someone else can probably help you more than i can. if it still does not make sense ask your teacher/fellow students
Reply 2
Original post by Dr_Sir
Its been a while since i did chemistry. But It sounds like your exam technique needs improving. the way you have described it seems to suggest you don't know what words in a question mean what? like solve, explain describe etc.

basic words are here http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/NQBusinessEducationCommandWords.pdf

if it does not make sense someone else can probably help you more than i can. if it still does not make sense ask your teacher/fellow students

thanks for your advice. but you don't get my point . my point is that i can't get the idea of the question which is the key to solve it . for example , if the question has an idea about solublity of two metals in same group, while am reading the question i can't discover it out that the key of the question was to think about solubility i only . hence, i answer the question worng
Reply 3
Most exam boards use a question template, if you do enough of the questions you start to realize what type of question it is. we can never really know what the question will be asking until you look at the mark scheme.
Reply 4
Original post by OlaAlaa98
hello everybody !
this is my first time to post in the student room but i really need each and every single help. am a GCSE student and am studying as Chemistry . i have a big problem with paper 1 i can't cop up with the questions i can't find the key to the question . in other words , the idea that can help me to solve the question while am reading it doesn't come to me at all . so i thought of practicing more and more of paper 1 maybe i would improve and get new ideas of the questions that may come. so where i can find good Paper 1 questions so that i can practice more and more i don't mind even if i solve from other curriculum or syllabuses that is somehow related to the CIE syllabus .?
if anybody has any other advice that can help me with this problem it will much appreciated
and thanks in advance <3 <3 <3 <3

Hi there, I'm currently studying A2 Chemistry from CIE and know just how important it is to see what is being asked and the best way to answer it. My Chemistry teacher, has always said that you can answer all the CIE question with a bullet point answering system. this will not only help you structure your answer and keep them to the point, but will also allow you to answer the questions quickly and without hesitation (it feels odd the first few times so you may want to try a few past papers).
I would greatly recommend that you underline key words within questions, you said this was difficult, so see if you can pull aside one of you chemistry teachers and get them to go through it with you, ask them about any questions you are unsure of.
Finally, practice makes perfect. Look at the mark schemes and you'll see the same questions get the same answers time and time again. Practice those questions you find difficult, because I can bet that others are in the same position and those questions will come up time and time again.

tl;dr Bullet point answers, use your teachers as much as possible and practice makes perfect!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest