The Student Room Group

Do you like yourself?

Scroll to see replies

This thread has shocked me a bit really, I thought it was 'normal' to have a low opinion of yourself.

I'm ugly, don't achieve that much academically, awkward around people, don't really have a passion as such and say the wrong thing a lot of the time. Objectively I'm average weight but I see myself as being massively overweight. I'm gay as well which I have a really hard time coping with :s-smilie:
I think I'm ok with myself. After all the time I've spent not liking myself it only makes sense to have finally come to terms and accepted things as they are but of course there are still many dislikable aspects but that's part of accepting things as they are and embracing yourself, that is unless you're the type to be going out of your way to hurt others in which case - seek help.
Original post by Anonymous
This thread has shocked me a bit really, I thought it was 'normal' to have a low opinion of yourself.

I'm ugly, don't achieve that much academically, awkward around people, don't really have a passion as such and say the wrong thing a lot of the time. Objectively I'm average weight but I see myself as being massively overweight. I'm gay as well which I have a really hard time coping with :s-smilie:

It's not hard to feel like that considering the world we live in - it's really easy to not overlook things you wouldn't if you were happy.
Original post by Ki Yung Na
It's not hard to feel like that considering the world we live in - it's really easy to not overlook things you wouldn't if you were happy.

Usually I think of myself as being happy but I guess I'm not :dontknow:
No I don't. I don't like the person I've become.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah. I'm no longer the fun, bubbly person I used to be. Now I'm uncomfortable being around my friends, so I've become a recluse and basically I'm just really lonely and I spend too much time wallowing in self pity... Slowly feeling better about myself but I'm still not great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm okay with myself, and think I'm a really nice person who's quite strong and people point how much I will fight tooth and claw for something I feel strongly about, which I like. However, I don't like how lazy I can be sometimes, or how I can be grumpy with people when really tired (although it seems normal, I still feel terrible for doing it). I also hate the way I argued non-stop with my poor mother in the last few weeks before leaving home and it pains me every day to think about it (we haven't argued since Christmas, but I still hated myself for weeks afterwards and I still am cross with myself for it).
Ummm yeah actually I'm quite okay with myself these days.

I've gained a lot of weight since last year which I would like to get rid of, but I know I can lose weight, because I've done it twice before, so I'm not overly concerned about it. I don't like my appearance very much now that I'm kinda hefty again but it's temporary.

Other than that, are there things I dislike about myself? Sure, but not to the extent that I'm dwelling on them.

The older I get, the more I accept who I am, and I'm a pretty decent person. I have no health problems, I try my best to be a decent person, I might be only average in appearance but that's enough to get me through life, I'm fairly intelligent, I'd like to think I'm articulate with a decent sense of humour...and so on and so forth.

Life's too short to dislike yourself. You can't very well be somebody else, so you might as well get on with accepting who you are.
I like me even though I know I'm extremely irritating to everyone else. I am who I am :h:
Yep! Simple but easy, I do!
I hate myself 60 - 70% of the time.

I'm not good at what I want to be, I have low self confidence, I'm lazy, I'm unattractive, I can't take praise ect

But other times I am content. My mood switches often though so my perception of myself changes frequently.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not really, at all. I shan't go to great details and drive you all to beyond the point of depression, but I may go as far as to say I 'hate' myself.

With that in mind, and my repulse being due to my endless, expensive (frequently not in monetary terms) mistakes, I do just like to quote George Bernard Shaw (paraphrased): "success does not come from not making mistakes, but not making the same mistake twice."
Original post by The Legal Eagle
Not really, at all. I shan't go to great details and drive you all to beyond the point of depression, but I may go as far as to say I 'hate' myself.

With that in mind, and my repulse being due to my endless, expensive (frequently not in monetary terms) mistakes, I do just like to quote George Bernard Shaw (paraphrased): "success does not come from not making mistakes, but not making the same mistake twice."

Me too! Sometime I think, what person would I like? And then try and be that person but we are who we are.. If we can't change, why would we hate ourselves if we had no choice?
Original post by Anonymous
Me too! Sometime I think, what person would I like? And then try and be that person but we are who we are.. If we can't change, why would we hate ourselves if we had no choice?

It's great I'm not alone! That's exactly my thinking - we can't change who we are, so resign yourself to who you are and get on with life!
No, most of the time I feel like a failure who is a burden to everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest