The Student Room Group

Binomial Expansion (Core 2, AQA)

Struggling with the following two questions, so if anyone could help that would be appreciated. Found most questions on binomial expansion relatively easy but I can't think of how to work out this question, as far as I know I haven't been taught how to, nor is it in the textbook, perhaps it relies on intuition (which I then clearly don't possess).

Anyway;
15. In the binomial expansion of(1+px)n, where p and n are constants and n is a positive integer, the coefficient of x is -12 and the coefficient of x2 is 60. Find the value of p and the value of n.

16. In the expansion of (1-x)(1+2x)n the coefficient of x2 is 198. Find the value of n and the coefficient of x3 in the expansion.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by monocleman1
Struggling with the following two questions, so if anyone could help that would be appreciated. Found most questions on binomial expansion relatively easy but I can't think of how to work out this question, as far as I know I haven't been taught how to, nor is it in the textbook, perhaps it relies on intuition (which I then clearly don't possess).

Anyway;
15. In the binomial expansion of(1+px)n, where p and n are constants and n is a positive integer, the coefficient of x is -12 and the coefficient of x2 is 60. Find the value of p and the value of n.

16. In the expansion of (1-x)(1+2x)n the coefficient of x2 is 198. Find the value of n and the coefficient of x3 in the expansion.

Thanks!

What have you tried

On 15 all you need to do is expand as normal ... You will have an expression = -12 and another expression = 60
Solve simultaneously

Anyway;

Thanks!

15. What are the x and x^2 terms in terms of p and n ? This should give you a pair of simultaneous equations in p and n to solve.
16. Which products of terms from (1-x) and (1+2x)^n will produce a term in x^2
Reply 3
Okay sorry guys, if you would be able to do so, some further prodding would be greatly appreciated; after considering the problem with your help I still can't think of how to answer either question.
Okay sorry guys, if you would be able to do so, some further prodding would be greatly appreciated; after considering the problem with your help I still can't think of how to answer either question.

What did you get when you expanded for question 15
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Let us try question 15 and see if we can see a patern in the various values that n can take:

Please do not give full solution
Original post by TenOfThem
Please do not give full solution

No full solution was supplied nevertheless. I left it up to the reader to deduce how it is known that the (px)^2 coefficient is given by n(n-1)/2.
No full solution was supplied nevertheless. I left it up to the reader to deduce how it is known that the (px)^2 coefficient is given by n(n-1)/2.

Perhaps you have not read the guidance on posting in maths

It is a sticky on the front page
Reply 8
Let us try question 15 and see if we can see a patern in the various values that n can take:

For n = 1, (1+px)^1 = 1 + px [coef of x is p]

For n = 2, (1+px)^2 = 1 + 2px + (px)^2 [coef of x is 2p]

For n = 3, (1+px)^3 = 1 + 3px + 3(px)^2 + (px)^3 [coef of x is 3p]

For n = 4, (1+px)^4 = 1 + 4px + 6(px)^2 + 4(px)^3 + (px)^4

Notice that the coefficient of x is given by np. For example, when n = 3, the coefficient of x is 3p etc.

So if the coefficient of x is -12, then 3p = -12, and therefore p = -4.

Thus we have (1 - 4x)^n, and we still need the value of n.

The coefficient of x^2 is given by pn(n-1)/2 = -4n(n-1)/2. Therefore set this to -60 to find n.

-60 = -4n(n-1)/2
30 = n^2 - n
n = 6

Therefore the original expression is (1-4x)^6

P is not -4. You have used n=3 to deduce that but then go on to say n=6
Reply 9
What did you get when you expanded for question 15

Just so you know, I haven't read the reply which gives me the full answer - though my full appreciation goes out to him for his help; essentially, though, I'm where I was before he replied.

So, I did the typical thing I do with binomials and got n choose 1 multiplied by px, and then n choose 2 multiplied by (p)^2(x)^2.
Just so you know, I haven't read the reply which gives me the full answer - though my full appreciation goes out to him for his help; essentially, though, I'm where I was before he replied.

So, I did the typical thing I do with binomials and got n choose 1 multiplied by px, and then n choose 2 multiplied by (p)^2(x)^2.

What do you understand n choose 1 and n choose 2 to be?
(edited 9 years ago)
What do you understand n choose 2 to be?

Erm well, I know it's related to Pascal's Triangle, rather embarrassingly it's just something I type in on my calculator when it is two known numbers. I also know of a formula, n!/k!(n-k)! = n choose k, but I'm not sure if that's related.
Erm well, I know it's related to Pascal's Triangle, rather embarrassingly it's just something I type in on my calculator when it is two known numbers. I also know of a formula, n!/k!(n-k)! = n choose k, but I'm not sure if that's related.

Ok

Try some values
3 choose 1
4 choose 1
5 choose 1

Etc

Can you see what n choose 1 is
Ok

Try some values
3 choose 1
4 choose 1
5 choose 1

Etc

Can you see what n choose 1 is

Well it would seem as though it would be n. I think I noticed this before but not sure what to do with it
Well it would seem as though it would be n. I think I noticed this before but not sure what to do with it

Ok so now you have

1 + npx + (n choose 2)(px)^2

So you know that np = -12

Now

Consider
3 choose 2
4 choose 2
5 choose 2

Look for a pattern there

If you are struggling try

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jordan97
P is not -4. You have used n=3 to deduce that but then go on to say n=6

Very true. I shouldn't have posted when I was so tired lol.
Ok so now you have

1 + npx + (n choose 2)(px)^2

So you know that np = -12

Now

Consider
3 choose 2
4 choose 2
5 choose 2

Look for a pattern there

If you are struggling try

Spoiler

Okay, well the pattern I see is that when you increase n by one for choose 2 the increase in the total goes up by one each time, based upon the previous increase (if that makes sense)

Also, (n-1) choose 1 + (n-1) choose 2 seems to equal n choose 2
(edited 9 years ago)
Okay, well the pattern I see is that when you increase n by one for choose 2 the increase in the total goes up by one each time, based upon the previous increase (if that makes sense)

Also, (n-1) choose 1 + (n-1) choose 2 seems to equal n choose 2

Ok

nC2 is n(n-1)/2

This is because, as you knew, nC2 = n!/2!(n-2)!

The n! And the (n-2)! Cancel leaving n(n-1) in the numerator
Ok

nC2 is n(n-1)/2

This is because, as you knew, nC2 = n!/2!(n-2)!

The n! And the (n-2)! Cancel leaving n(n-1) in the numerator

Sorry, would you be able to offer me some further help this particular point, I'm really quite stuck - nothing I've done in AS level seems to be of this difficulty! Phew. Thanks.

Edit: I think it's mostly because I haven't really done anything on factorials before. I searched for a similar problem and they just turned the smaller factorial into 1, and the larger factorial into the difference between them - so n!/(n-3)! would be (n)(n-1)(n-2) / 1 ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry, would you be able to offer me some further help this particular point, I'm really quite stuck - nothing I've done in AS level seems to be of this difficulty! Phew. Thanks.

Has your teacher explained how the factorials cancel in nCr

If not .... Ask

This is something that is far easier to explain in person

Quick Reply

Latest