The Student Room Group

Should I Identify as a Bisexual?

Click-bait title. Just saying, but I do want to hear what y'all think.

So, over my lifetime there have only been 3 men I wanted to have sex with including those I have only seen via media and don't know IRL. Innumerable women. So 3/hundreds of thousands of men vs thousands and thousands of women. Seems silly to call myself bisexual.

But, I would have sex with 2 of them still and thinking about this earlier I also imagine that I wold enjoy being teased by a male (lots of males, not just the two I "fancy") when bound to the point of actually being able to orgasm from such. I feel this is more of a kink than a sexuality and I feel there is some sort of need to separate them even if they are related.

Also, I imagine lots of guys could orgasm from a machine when bound too. That doesn't make you a machine-sexual. Similarly, I bet some male rape victims orgasm to a male rapist. I imagine some men are able to orgasm to women which they don't actually find attractive. Sometimes the stimulus itself is sufficient to cause orgasm or just an erection or something similar. So this means that being able to obtain sexual pleasure from and being sexually attracted to something are distinct concepts. That's notable I think.

Must a man be bisexual if during an orgy he penetrates another man while already hard from a woman's presence, or even just the idea of an orgy if he would have had no desire to do that if it was just the two men alone? Or is he just extremely horny and very open minded? Or is everyone somewhat bisexual and so it's a bit of a needless question, as a so-called heterosexual man could still do that while being deemed heterosexual?

Then you have the topic of transgender and intersex people. Is sexuality based on the gender of the person you are attracted to or the sex? How do you define gender and how do you define biological sex? If you're attracted to an intersex person then how are you heterosexual still, even if its just one intersex person, or are you something else?

I think personally it would be absolutely ridiculous for me to identify as bisexual as that gives the impression that I actually would enjoy sleeping with guys. For 99.9999999999% of guys that wouldn't be true. So it seems inexplicably inappropriate and making an absolute mockery of the label "bisexual".

I think overall this all just goes to show how pathetic our labels of "sexuality" are in reality. People, especially men, get so insecure about no longer being heterosexual, but I don't even know why. The labels are so needlessly strict when it seems pretty obvious that sexuality is fluid and is affected by social factors as well as genetic ones. I think the taboo on these sorts of discussions needs to be removed so that more funding into research on it is created because I think sexuality is a massively important part of human living. We need to understand it better.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You say people shouldn't worry about it but it sounds like you might be kind of worried about it lol...
Reply 2
Well, I orgasmed deep into the second paragraph.

Ta.
Does it matter how you choose to identify yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seriously, call your self whatever you damn well please...
Reply 5
Original post by Ebony19
You say people shouldn't worry about it but it sounds like you might be kind of worried about it lol...

No, I just find sexuality really interesting. I've researched it a fair bit.

Wait, why do you say that I seem to be worried? Is it just because I've wrote so extensively about this and seem to be thinking about it quite deeply because if so, no worries my dear, I think deeply and write extensively about practically everything.
Reply 6
Original post by mojojojo101
Seriously, call your self whatever you damn well please...

This is a facile comment that I don't appreciate on the thread.

Sorry but you're missing the point. Of course, we are all individuals and can do whatever we want however I'm asking do you think I should, and also what do you make of the rest of the ramble?

Original post by DiddyDec
Does it matter how you choose to identify yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. What definitions we choose to use for certain words does matter. Not all languages are equally good in the utility they have. Going against the conventional definitions of words matters for an obvious reason.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TorpidPhil
No, I just find sexuality really interesting. I've researched it a fair bit.

Wait, why do you say that I seem to be worried? Is it just because I've wrote so extensively about this and seem to be thinking about it quite deeply because if so, no worries my dear, I think deeply and write extensively about practically everything.

Yeah sexuality is a social construct, we all have our own weird little quirks... There definitely isn't a label for every one.

Also maybe don't think too deeply, it can be a recipe for disastrous mental health.
Reply 8
Original post by Ebony19
Also maybe don't think too deeply, it can be a recipe for disastrous mental health.

It also makes one develop a tendency to find "normal conversation" really boring if inside your own head the world is fantastically complex but nobody else sees that...

I can't help it though, I wish I could, but it's just who I am so being such makes me most happy, most of the time.
No. You lean very heavily towards the heterosexual side of the spectrum.

Just go for whoever you're attracted to.
It also makes one develop a tendency to find "normal conversation" really boring if inside your own head the world is fantastically complex but nobody else sees that...

Trust me, your OP was about as interesting and complex as a potato you narcissistic sap.
Original post by macromicro
Trust me, your OP was about as interesting and complex as a potato you narcissistic sap.

lmfao. I have to say that make me chuckle out loud.

I didn't really mean to say that this thread's OP was particularly profound lol...
Say you're bisexual, but have a a lot higher attraction towards women.

Would you be in a relationship with a man?

What are you more attracted to emotionally?
What are you more attracted to physically?

Then say, for example, you're heterosexual homoromantic or homosexual heteroromantic.

Very many variations if you search them up.
Identify as whatever you wish, or as nothing at all. Nobody is forcing you to define yourself by putting a label on your feelings.
Original post by robthehero
Identify as whatever you wish, or as nothing at all. Nobody is forcing you to define yourself by putting a label on your feelings.

Nobody forces me to work out, eat healthy, educate myself and so on. Is it just purely down to whim whether or not I do those things? What about murdering someone? Nobody forces me to murder people or not? Is it just pure whim as to whether I should or shouldn't?
Bisexual it is,why do you care so much?
This is a facile comment that I don't appreciate on the thread.

Sorry but you're missing the point. Of course, we are all individuals and can do whatever we want however I'm asking do you think I should, and also what do you make of the rest of the ramble?

It's not facile! What I think about how you should identify is (or should be) completely irrelevant. I know what I'd identify as, but that doesn't mean you have to.

Attraction is not necessarily the same as identity is not necessarily the same as behaviour. Lots of people have an attraction or behaviour that differs from their identity. That's before considering how things change over time.
Nobody forces me to work out, eat healthy, educate myself and so on. Is it just purely down to whim whether or not I do those things? What about murdering someone? Nobody forces me to murder people or not? Is it just pure whim as to whether I should or shouldn't?

What is your argument?
Wow dude. Are labels really important?
Original post by A5ko
Well, I orgasmed deep into the second paragraph.

Ta.

I don't know what to say to this 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest