The Student Room Group

Norwich University of the Arts 2015 Game Art Design accepted applicants

Hello there! :biggrin:

Myself and my partner have been accepted onto the Game Art Design course at NUA.

I was trawling around on the forums looking for a thread like this, and I could not find one. I wanted to see if any other students that will be on this course would like to establish any communication!

This way, when it does come to finding accommodation, we will at least know a little about one another. Also we won't all be starting the course as complete strangers! :smile:

Perhaps we could set up a Facebook group?

Scroll to see replies

Hiya,

Moved this over to the correct forum for you as it'll be more likely to be seen by your future colleagues. :h:

Have you popped your details on the University Connect page? At the top of the NUA forum there's a link to the connect page and you can add yourself to it. :smile:

It turns out we don't have an NUA forum here, oops!
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh, thanks! :smile:

And no, I must have completely overlooked that. :biggrin:

(edit)
Oh I see! Hopefully this will help more than I thought it would, then. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Three of my college mates are definitely going to do this course. Also I know one guy who's already doing it. I can give you their facebook profile links. Text me if you're interested.
That would be absolutely great, I'll message you shortly. :biggrin:
:woo:

New friendships aplenty!
Indeed!

If anybody is interested in joining the NUA Game art design 2015 applicant group on Facebook, just ask, as I will have to invite you :biggrin:
Original post by XanthosDarxetta
Indeed!

If anybody is interested in joining the NUA Game art design 2015 applicant group on Facebook, just ask, as I will have to invite you :biggrin:

I am joining too! Can I join. My name on Facebook is Liam Reece Turton. Thanks
Yeah sure!!!! :biggrin: i'll send you an invite right away!!! ^_____^

(edit)

Oh, I almost forgot, I need your email to invite you, send me a pm! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by XanthosDarxetta
Yeah sure!!!! :biggrin: i'll send you an invite right away!!! ^_____^

(edit)

Oh, I almost forgot, I need your email to invite you, send me a pm! :biggrin:

This is the first time I have used this haha. How do I pm you?
If you just click on my username, then it should take you to my profile where you can message me :biggrin:
Ahoy there guys! My name's Charlotte and I'm currently a first year student at NUA studying Games Art and Design. Feel free to add me on Facebook if you have any questions! I'm also applying to be a PAL which helps new students settle in here, so you'll probably be seeing me on your first week.

It's really great to see some interaction on the forums here, as I did exactly the same when I was in your position and I was able to make lots of new friends before I started :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/CharlotteAlpacaChan
(Excuse the very old URL name haha!)
Hello!

Thanks very much for getting in touch :biggrin:

Could you share a little about your experiences on the course in your first year? What sort of projects you've done, what new skills have you learned, what are the tutors like and (above all) are you enjoying it?

Also, my names Charlotte too :tongue:
No worries! And what a cool coincidence haha :3

The first year is very focused on building your skill-set, where we work with 2D Concept art and 3D zBrush/Maya projects. So far we've been given the opportunity to design characters and environments, as well as doing so in an iterative process which is used throughout the games industry. We also have regular life drawing sessions situated within the university, which are incredibly beneficial! The media labs also have all the software you'll need while studying, as well as being a really great working environment. I would definitely recommend acquiring the software for personal use too though, especially as Autodesk software like Maya is free for students. We also will get projects involving game engines like Unity ( and possibly Unreal), but that's more-so focused in the second year.

I also started this course with an art and design background, knowing nothing of 3D modelling. However, the tutors teach you from the ground up. Regardless of your skill level, you'll learn so much from them. On the flip-side, my Swedish friend has over 7/8 years experience with 3D yet he's still learning a lot of technical information from the tutors. They're very knowledgable and it's so inspiring when they show us their processes.

Overall I'm really enjoying my time here and Norwich is such a historically beautiful city, rich with culture! ^_^
WOW, thank you for all that information! :biggrin:

I really cannot wait to start, I'm going to be practicing drawing relentlessly before I do. I've never done any kind of 3D modelling either so it's good to know that the tutors are so helpful. You've really given me a good insight into the course here.

Thanks so much! :tongue:
Reply 15
Hey guys! I got a conditional offer on the course too, hope I get on to the course, very scared about reaching the grades required for the offer! I only have 9 weeks left to push all my grades up, no pressure or anything, ohhh and there not marking the work mid way so its just a gamble on my future, nothing significant.
Hey there!

My partner's got a conditional offer too, he's very worried! If all goes well we'll all be seeing each other in Norwich this September! :biggrin: Feel free to post stuff on the Facebook group, or if you know anybody else who's going to be on the course, just send me their email and I'll invite them promptly.
Hello everyone! I'll be studying with you guys although I'm already at NUA (illustration at the moment). Charlotte Is also my current housemate. Hi Charlottaaahhhh!

Can I please get an invite to the FB group?

Thanks!
Alrissa
Hello!

That's fantastic, If you PM me your email I'll send you an invite soon! :biggrin:
Are you moving from illustration to game art? :eek:
Yeah. Illustration's not for me. Unfortunately the university didn't allow transfers at all this year because all the courses are so popular that they took in too many people.

Quick Reply