The Student Room Group

ISIS fighters destroy artifacts in museum rampage

Scroll to see replies

It is a sad day indeed. This is why we keep artefacts from around the world at the British Museum, it stops stuff from getting broken.
Original post by DiddyDec
It is a sad day indeed. This is why we keep artefacts from around the world at the British Museum, it stops stuff from getting broken.

What if that's their next target... :frown:
Original post by donutellme
What if that's their next target... :frown:

Then we are all ****ed
Reply 4

This reasoning is -at the very least- weak.

I am from Greece so you'll probably understand.
Original post by *Stefan*

Of course I understand.
Some people were hailing this as "The worst of ISIS's actions."

Which is ludicrous.
Reply 7
As much as destroying valuable history annoys me, I can't help but laugh about how much money those idiots just lost.
I heard they sell some of these artifacts to make money. I just want to smash them they way they did to these statues
Original post by *Stefan*

Pretty controversial opinion right there :tongue:
There should have been a ground intervention months ago, instead we let them grow and grow. What the **** are we doing
Reply 11

they only have artefacts from around the world in british museums because they stole it from other people smh destroying value history
Original post by ron202
they only have artefacts from around the world in british museums because they stole it from other people smh destroying value history

I don't like the word "stole". I prefer liberated.
Reply 13

Nice way to sugar coat it , doesn't really make a difference its still the sme thing
Slightly depressing but lets not forget that ISIS are not the only ones guilty of atrocities against antiquity. The Americans caused pretty heavy damage to the site of Babylon when they converted it to camp alpha during the Iraq war.
Reply 15
Original post by Zachary T-H
Pretty controversial opinion right there :tongue:

Well... what do you think? Should the British Museum keep, for example, the very controversial Elgin Marbles?

[We're probably derailing the thread, but I do want to know.]
Original post by ron202
Nice way to sugar coat it , doesn't really make a difference its still the sme thing

Obviously. There is no way of denying history.

In most cases bought (like the Elgin marbles), preserved or received as a donation would be the best description on how items were acquired for the British museum.
Reply 18
Obviously. There is no way of denying history.

Yes there is history is written by the victors. If Germany had won ww2 hitler wouldn't been seen as such an evil bastard would he ?
Reply 19
Original post by ron202

People didn't care at that time. The British Museum and the Louvre have probably saved thousands of artefacts from smugglers and wars. Three years ago there were also destructions in the Egyptian Museum, while they were claiming back some statues in the Louvre. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending