The Student Room Group

ISIS fighters destroy artifacts in museum rampage

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ron202
no I wouldn't disagree that Hitler and ISIS are evil however western colonialist and neo colonialist are worst than anything ever and things don't look like changing

I agree with you the western nations have committed the greatest crimes against humanity in history and continue to do so today
Reply 41
Original post by DiddyDec
What is Western?

First Great Western? Best Western? Western Power? Western Union? The West? Westerners?

Could you write a bit clearer I don't understand what you are saying.

The Historic entietes of WESTERN European countries such as France Britain Spain as well as many other who collectively colonised almost the entire world as well as modern day post colonial neo colonial superpowers geographically located in the WESTERN hemisphere such as Britain France Germany Nd the United States , who have also been almost entirely separate of other world super powers both geographically and ideologically
Reply 42
Original post by al_94
I agree with you the western nations have committed the greatest crimes against humanity in history and continue to do so today

That's true everyone knows that but most don't want to admit it
Original post by ron202
The Historic entietes of WESTERN European countries such as France Britain Spain as well as many other who collectively colonised almost the entire world as well as modern day post colonial neo colonial superpowers geographically located in the WESTERN hemisphere such as Britain France Germany Nd the United States , who have also been almost entirely separate of other world super powers both geographically and ideologically

I see. The West has pretty horrific stuff in the past and even to this very day.
Reply 44
Original post by Zachary T-H
They were still purchased, like it or not that still holds some weight to it, they were not stolen and if they are returned they will have to be bought back for the sake of fairness. We are not keeping them forcefully, we are refusing to return them because we have no obligation to do so.

Gain profit from the wealth of other nations? I think not, entrance to the British museum is free, it always has been and it always will be. Their has always been a thirst for knowledge in this country, the purpose of the museums are as a tool for education of other cultures, they are not an evil. Lacking history? The British history is rich and illustrious, I'm sure you will learn about it when you come to Britain.

According to you the people that want to learn about Greece already go there so why should we lose our sculptures if it wont make a difference? Most of the Parthenon sculptures are in the Acropolis museum anyway, the Elgin marbles make up a minority.

With all due respect to Greece I think there are more pressing issues in the relationship you have with us than the marbles. The large amount of money you owe us being one of them, the other issue being the fact that your new leader seems to think that he shouldn't have to pay us back. If Greece won't give us back what is rightfully ours why should we give you feel is rightfully yours?

They were in fact stolen from that perspective. They were bought from the invaders! If a country invaded Britain and sold everything from the British Museum to another country, would you consider that fair and just? I am sure you wouldn't.

They do gain profit. Entrance may be free, but the tourists it attracts will obviously greatly benefit the economy. It's not just the museum, it's the whole package with visiting a country -hotels, food, shopping etc. About Britain's history, it is great I agree. But it's no way near Greece's in terms of duration and progress. I didn't say it in a demeaning way though. It's just how things are.

That logic is wrong. You should lose them because they simply don't belong there. They were created by the Greeks and should remain with Greeks. Like above, I am sure you'd feel the same had something of significant historical value been taken from Britain.

That is a very long discussion you're opening now. Germany owes us billions from the WW2, yet we all know they'll never pay it back. Regardless, I don't want to go through this discussion because it always ends badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by jakeel1
You unfortunately endorse the silly history taught in schools, that tribes were all peaceful before the colonists came and ruined it. Tribes were just as brutal as the Western colonisers, the West commited atrocities but the reason many countries in the world are prosperous now is due to Western industry.

I disagree with you and I never said tribes were peaceful but I do know the Europeans commited genocides on tribes in North America, South America and Australia and even wiped out some indigenous populations from the face of the earth. The western industry only benefits the elite ruling class not the majority of the people. Most of the worlds wealth is in the hands of the ruling elite and they are the cause of worldwide poverty.
Original post by al_94
I disagree with you and I never said tribes were peaceful but I do know the Europeans commited genocides on tribes in North America, South America and Australia and even wiped out some indigenous populations from the face of the earth. The western industry only benefits the elite ruling class not the majority of the people. Most of the worlds wealth is in the hands of the ruling elite and they are the cause of worldwide poverty.

Yes the Europeans have commited genocides. The tribes also commited genocides against one another, as do many countries to this day.
Reply 47
Original post by jakeel1
There should have been a ground intervention months ago, instead we let them grow and grow. What the **** are we doing

So... naive.
Original post by shaka33
So... naive.

Absolutely. Getting rid of a savage terrorist group with the intention of destroying all the infidels before they grow is an incredibly stupid thing to do. Which is why we have been so successful so far in not doing anything.

What's the problem exactly? The UK army alone should be sufficient for these barbarians.
Original post by *Stefan*
They were in fact stolen from that perspective. They were bought from the invaders! If a country invaded Britain and sold everything from the British Museum to another country, would you consider that fair and just? I am sure you wouldn't.

They do gain profit. Entrance may be free, but the tourists it attracts will obviously greatly benefit the economy. It's not just the museum, it's the whole package with visiting a country -hotels, food, shopping etc. About Britain's history, it is great I agree. But it's not way near Greece's in terms of duration and progress.

That logic is wrong. You should lose them because they simply don't belong there. They were created from the Greeks and should remain with Greeks. Like above, I am sure you'd feel the same had something of significant historical value been taken from Britain.

That is a very long discussion you're opening now. Germany owes us billions from the WW2, yet we all know they'll never pay it back. Regardless, I don't want to go through this discussion because it always ends badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We had our main history at different times, classical Greece is the climax of your history. Our climax in history comes later from being the largest empire the world has ever seen. It's arguable whether they are truly invaders, at the time Greece was part of the Ottoman empire (before that the Byzantine empire and before that the Roman empire)- this is all part of your history, An independent Greece hadn't existed for over 1000 years. I feel they personally had the right to sell them. The whole ancient Greek ethos was about making your wealth from plunder, it's a fitting end that an Acropolis built from plunder should be plundered.

People don't come to Britain specifically to see them though so the profit from tourism would have to be broken down among all the attractions London has to offer, they really make a minute contribution to the economy, if anything, the museums are hugely expensive to run.

Things from Britain can be found around the globe, it delights me to see things from home abroad (antiquity's). I guess we share a different view on this.

The difference between WW2 reparations and The Greek debt are quite vast. As far as l know we have been paid out what we asked for. I understand their may be some Greek claim to the sum of $14 billion which Germany owes on a loan from the Greek central bank. The difference is the amount (you owe $330 billion) and the speed at which you are willing to renege on your debts. furthermore, Just because someone else doesn't pay doesn't make it okay.
(edited 9 years ago)
We had our main history at different times, classical Greece is the climax of your history. Our history comes later from being the largest empire the world has ever seen. It's arguable whether they are truly invaders, at the time Greece was part of the Ottoman empire (before that the Byzantine empire and before that the Roman empire)- this is all part of your history, An independent Greece hadn't existed for over 1000 years. I feel they personally had the right to sell them. The whole ancient Greek ethos was about making your wealth from plunder, it's a fitting end that an Acropolis built from plunder should be plundered.

People don't come to Britain specifically to see them though so the profit from tourism would have to be broken down among all the attractions London has to offer, they really make a minute contribution to the economy, if anything, the museums are hugely expensive to run.

Things from Britain can be found around the globe, it delights me to see things from home abroad (antiquity's). I guess we share a different view on this.

The difference between WW2 reparations and The Greek debt are quite vast. As far as l know we have been paid out what we asked for. I understand their may be some Greek claim to the sum of $14 billion which Germany owes on a loan from the Greek central bank. The difference is the amount (you owe $330 billion) and the speed at which you are willing to renege on your debts. furthermore, Just because someone else doesn't pay doesn't make it okay.

Byzantine collapsed 1453 (maybe later but thats when the main city collapsed) not 1000 years ago
No different to what the Wahhabists have done in Saudi Arabia.
They were still purchased, like it or not that still holds some weight to it, they were not stolen and if they are returned they will have to be bought back for the sake of fairness. We are not keeping them forcefully, we are refusing to return them because we have no obligation to do so.

Gain profit from the wealth of other nations? I think not, entrance to the British museum is free, it always has been and it always will be. Their has always been a thirst for knowledge in this country, the purpose of the museums are as a tool for education of other cultures, they are not an evil. Lacking history? The British history is rich and illustrious, I'm sure you will learn about it when you come to Britain.

According to you the people that want to learn about Greece already go there so why should we lose our sculptures if it wont make a difference? Most of the Parthenon sculptures are in the Acropolis museum anyway, the Elgin marbles make up a minority.

With all due respect to Greece I think there are more pressing issues in the relationship you have with us than the marbles. The large amount of money you owe us being one of them, the other issue being the fact that your new leader seems to think that he shouldn't have to pay us back. If Greece won't give us back what is rightfully ours why should we give you feel is rightfully yours?

Excellent comment, I totally agree
Original post by jakeel1
Byzantine collapsed 1453 (maybe later but thats when the main city collapsed) not 1000 years ago

I'm well aware of that fact my friend. perhaps I wasn't clear. Greece was invaded by the Romans in 150Ad (is0h, the Roman empire split and the eastern Roman empire lived on (Byzantine empire)- which was succeed by the ottoman empire. Greece wasn't independent until 1821. 150AD-1821 is over a 1000 years. I personally wouldn't class the Greeks as independent under the Byzantine empire as it was an continuation of the Roman empire.
I'm well aware of that fact my friend. perhaps I wasn't clear. Greece was invaded by the Romans in 150Ad (is0h, the Roman empire split and the eastern Roman empire lived on (Byzantine empire)- which was succeed by the ottoman empire. Greece wasn't independent until 1821. 150AD-1821 is over a 1000 years. I personally wouldn't class the Greeks as independent under the Byzantine empire as it was an continuation of the Roman empire.

Oh I see what you mean. I don't know much about it, but I don't think there was much resistance to (later) Byzantine rule and they all spoke Greek with no suppression of native customs right? The Ottomons in contrast systematically persecuted those who followed Greek customs.

Perhaps more importantly, the Ottomans were the legal occupying power (this is a genuine concept in international law) and thus had the plenary authority over all goings on in the Greek territory. Thus, any sales that occurred in the Ottoman period must be considered equally legal under Greek law, and cannot be legitimately outlawed ex post facto
Reply 56
We had our main history at different times, classical Greece is the climax of your history. Our history comes later from being the largest empire the world has ever seen. It's arguable whether they are truly invaders, at the time Greece was part of the Ottoman empire (before that the Byzantine empire and before that the Roman empire)- this is all part of your history, An independent Greece hadn't existed for over 1000 years. I feel they personally had the right to sell them. The whole ancient Greek ethos was about making your wealth from plunder, it's a fitting end that an Acropolis built from plunder should be plundered.

I am sorry but your first post is very insulting. Greeks were gathering -and some were killed in the process- to prevent the sale of the artifacts. They were actually enslaved during that period. How can you say they were part of that and so the sale was justified? It's almost unbelievable actually... And something I've never heard before.

Are you actually serious that the Acropolis deserved to be plundered? That only shows that you do not respect the pinnacle of human sophistication, which is very sad. And Greece offered a lot more to the world than it took -don't forget that. The saying that everyone would still be hanging on the trees had the Greeks not existed exists for a reason.

By the way, you can't accuse us of plundering when the whole of the British Empire was built on that principle. It's hypocritical. You had basically enslaved Africa and abused their natural resources like they were yours! And, unlike Classical Greece, you gave nothing in return.

Have you seen something magnificent though? Because I've never seen a truly significant piece of antiquity from Britain!

The sum Germany owes has been measured at around $180bn! Not $14bn. It basically covers the entirety of the debt. By the way, Britain owns a lot as well. Perhaps not to Greece, but it owns enormous amounts of money. I don't see you mentioning any of that though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Europeans invented the concept of archeology. Makes me laugh when racist non whites pretend they care about other peoples cultures.
Reply 58
Original post by LordMarmalade
Perhaps more importantly, the Ottomans were the legal occupying power (this is a genuine concept in international law) and thus had the plenary authority over all goings on in the Greek territory. Thus, any sales that occurred in the Ottoman period must be considered equally legal under Greek law, and cannot be legitimately outlawed ex post facto

I repeat that I am not talking from a legal perspective. I made that clear before. I'm talking about ethical values.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LordMarmalade

I was aware that we have no legal responsibility to return the marbles under international law (having read around the subject)- I tried to hint this to the Greek chap but didn't want to go into legal detail as I'm not educated in the law and don't wish to make legal faux pas. Thanks for the support, It helps having someone with legal knowledge coming to my aid. you must study law right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending