The Student Room Group

ISIS fighters destroy artifacts in museum rampage

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
How can you say they were part of that and so the sale was justified?

Justified or not, the sale was/is legal; the Sublime Porte (the Ottoman government) issued a permit for their removal. Being the legal occupying power of Greece, the Ottoman government had the right to do so, and Lord Elgin and his legal heirs and successors (the British Museum) have every right to rely on the legality of that permit.

It cannot legitimately be withdrawn ex post facto. And whatever the morality of the situation, the legality is clear. And that's all we can rely look to; there are plenty of things that are immoral but not illegal (adultery, for example)
Original post by Zachary T-H
I was aware that we have no legal responsibility to return the marbles under international law (having read around the subject)- I tried to hint this to the Greek chap but didn't want to go into legal detail as I'm not educated in the law and don't wish to make legal faux pas. Thanks for the support, It helps having someone with legal knowledge coming to my aid. you must study law right?

No worries :smile: Yes, I'm a law student.

As I pointed out to Stefan, we really only have the law to look to in these situations. There are plenty of things that might not be entirely moral but are nonetheless legal (like sleeping with another man's wife or boyfriend)

I can't see that there's really any basis to demand their return. They can ask nicely, but there's certainly no obligation
Original post by LordMarmalade
No worries :smile: Yes, I'm a law student.

As I pointed out to Stefan, we really only have the law to look to in these situations. There are plenty of things that might not be entirely moral but are nonetheless legal (like sleeping with another man's wife or boyfriend)

I can't see that there's really any basis to demand their return. They can ask nicely, but there's certainly no obligation

Oh awesome, where do you go? I'm going to start a history degree next year and may follow up with a law conversion but don't know where to go for it. Yes, my problem is that they don't ask nicely :tongue:
Oh awesome, where do you go? I'm going to start a history degree next year and may follow up with a law conversion but don't know where to go for it. Yes, my problem is that they don't ask nicely :tongue:

I'm at BPP Law School.

Very cool that you're studying history :smile: I'm a mad history buff, and if you enjoy history and dig the English language, you'll love law
Reply 64
I'm well aware of that fact my friend. perhaps I wasn't clear. Greece was invaded by the Romans in 150Ad (is0h, the Roman empire split and the eastern Roman empire lived on (Byzantine empire)- which was succeed by the ottoman empire. Greece wasn't independent until 1821. 150AD-1821 is over a 1000 years. I personally wouldn't class the Greeks as independent under the Byzantine empire as it was an continuation of the Roman empire.

The Greeks were not considered "enslaved" under the Byzantine Empire. The two had become almost identical, with regards to the language, religion and the arts. Hence why you'll see historians calling the Byzantine Empire the Christianised Romans of the Greek nation (the term "roman" had become synonymous with "Greek Christians" at that time).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Justified or not, the sale was/is legal; the Sublime Porte (the Ottoman government) issued a permit for their removal. Being the legal occupying power of Greece, the Ottoman government had the right to do so, and Lord Elgin and his legal heirs and successors (the British Museum) have every right to rely on the legality of that permit.

It cannot legitimately be withdrawn ex post facto. And whatever the morality of the situation, the legality is clear. And that's all we can rely look to; there are plenty of things that are immoral but not illegal (adultery, for example)

Need I repeat myself? Please pay closer attention.

Regardless, I'm ending this here. The worldwide support for their return is all that's needed right now. Two-three people arguing is pointless. Next time though, try being nicer when discussing national issues. At least have some respect for the country that marked the beginning of western civilization.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Need I repeat myself? Please pay closer attention.

You're losing your temper unnecessarily. You claimed they were stolen. Theft has a very specific meaning, one which a sale conducted under the lawful authority of the ruling power does not cover.

Are you actually serious that the Acropolis deserved to be plundered? That only shows that you do not respect the pinnacle of human sophistication, which is very sad. And Greece offered a lot more to the world than it took -don't forget that. The saying that everyone would still be hanging on the trees had the Greeks not existed exists for a reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to answer your points in chunks. I didn't say it deserved to be plundered, however it is arguable that the removal of the marbles has preserved them better than leaving them on the Parthenon with the others. My comment about plundering was meant to be Ironic- I study classics as an A-level and the honorable way to gain riches was through plunder so its slightly Ironic that the wealth was plundered right back :tongue:

At least have some respect for the country that marked the beginning of western civilization.

This has nothing to do with respect for the Greeks; I adore classical culture. In any case, the modern Greeks are not really the same people as the ancient Greeks.
Reply 69
You're losing your temper unnecessarily. You claimed they were stolen. Theft has a very specific meaning, one which a sale conducted under the lawful authority of the ruling power does not cover.

I am not. Honestly. I know my position and am certainly not surprised with Britons taking this stance. It's natural to defend your country.

You're also perplexing the situation with the legal terms. I did not colour the word in the same way you seem to do. I wouldn't even know that yet.

The fact that there is national outrage is enough to prove that the marbles were not taken with the support of the Greek, whose legacy they are after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

By the way, you can't accuse us of plundering when the whole of the British Empire was built on that principle. It's hypocritical. You had basically enslaved Africa and abused their natural resources like they were yours! And, unlike Classical Greece, you gave nothing in return.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As before, it was a joke. You do know that the acropolis as you know it was built with money that Pericles stole from the Delian league right? I fully accept the plundering or Britain, it is the nature of war- that is not hypocritical, just an observation. I think you'll find that you got some rather significant technological advancements have come from Britian, these were enabled by our power and wealth as an empire. for one thing, the industrial revolution stemmed from Britain.

Have you seen something magnificent though? Because I've never seen a truly significant piece of antiquity from Britain!

Posted from TSR Mobile

stone henge? any of the major palaces/ stately homes. The crown jewels? take your pick, there are plenty.
Reply 72
As before, it was a joke. You do know that the acropolis as you know it was built with money that Pericles stole from the Delian league right? I fully accept the plundering or Britain, it is the nature of war- that is not hypocritical, just an observation. I think you'll find that you got some rather significant technological advancements have come from Britian, these were enabled by our power and wealth as an empire. for one thing, the industrial revolution stemmed from Britain.

The Delian league was Greek as well! It's just that it didn't, at first, fall at the immediate authority of Athens.

Well, that's what I'm trying to say. Just like we got the significant technological improvements, in the same way the whole world benefited from our philosophy, from out language and of course from the history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
stone henge? any of the major palaces/ stately homes. The crown jewels? take your pick, there are plenty.

I meant in another country, since you said you love seeing British artifacts in other countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 74
This has nothing to do with respect for the Greeks; I adore classical culture. In any case, the modern Greeks are not really the same people as the ancient Greeks.

Well, I agree. But that is not relevant. We were talking about what is rightfully, in my opinion at least, ours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The sum Germany owes has been measured at around $180bn! Not $14bn. It basically covers the entirety of the debt. By the way, Britain owns a lot as well. Perhaps not to Greece, but it owns enormous amounts of money. I don't see you mentioning any of that though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, the war debt. The interesting issue.

Britain's debt is bigger but a lesser proportion of GDP- we can afford it and are willing to pay it where as Greece don't want to pay theirs.

its not most of it, it's just over half (using your figures which are wrong).

The correct figure is $14 billion, the debt owed was part of a 0% loan to the Nazi's (accoriding to Tspiras), $14 billion is the amount of money they "didn't" pay back adjusted to inflation, the figure Tspiras uses are supposedly calculated including interest which breaches the terms of an interest free loan- at most they owe $14billion. If Tspiras is claiming that the money he want's isn't for the loan and is for war damages then the claim is invalid as it would be null and void due to "the agreement on German external debts".

I meant in another country, since you said you love seeing British artifacts in other countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a lot of British art abroad- arguably the Parthenon sculptures are art. you also have the spectacular buildings dotted around the world that we built.
The Delian league was Greek as well! It's just that it didn't, at first, fall at the immediate authority of Athens.

Well, that's what I'm trying to say. Just like we got the significant technological improvements, in the same way the whole world benefited from our philosophy, from out language and of course from the history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know the Delian Leauge was Greek, the finances were intended to be used to help the Greek citys states repel the Persians, Pericles moved the Delian league to Athens, used the funds to re build the Acropolis and city and then extorted money from other states to keep up his projects. You can't knock the Greek contribution to society but as time passes you have progress, for example Ancient Greece gave us democracy but democracy has developed from then to the modern day where it is actually fair. Similarly with Philosophy- philosophy has developed with inspiration from Greece. We can't really argue about the significance of the contributions to the modern day as they are not in the same relative time periods- Both have made significant contributions though. (I do love ancient Greece- I'm not quite sure how we got this far from the central issue)
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm at BPP Law School.

Very cool that you're studying history :smile: I'm a mad history buff, and if you enjoy history and dig the English language, you'll love law

English is okay, I don't do it as an A level though! (Classics, History,Philosophy and biology). Is BPP good/ do they do the law conversions?
Reply 79
Ah, the war debt. The interesting issue.

Britain's debt is bigger but a lesser proportion of GDP- we can afford it and are willing to pay it where as Greece don't want to pay theirs.

its not most of it, it's just over half (using your figures which are wrong).

The correct figure is $14 billion, the debt owed was part of a 0% loan to the Nazi's (accoriding to Tspiras), $14 billion is the amount of money they "didn't" pay back adjusted to inflation, the figure Tspiras uses are supposedly calculated including interest which breaches the terms of an interest free loan- at most they owe $14billion. If Tspiras is claiming that the money he want's isn't for the loan and is for war damages then the claim is invalid as it would be null and void due to "the agreement on German external debts".

1. It's about 90%. Of course better than us, but not exactly good. "Want" is possibly the worst word you could have used here. Do you really think we're able to pay it back? I hope not.
2. My mistake here.
3. Do you have a source for that number? Even if we account the debt, Greece owes about €9.4bn to the UK, which is tiny compared to other countries. It's not exactly something you can use in your favour. Regardless, the debates about the debt are off topic. [Notably though, one important fact the whole of Europe seems to forget is geopolitics. We're literally the breaking point between Europe and the terrorists. Everyone always focuses on the economics, that unfortunately everything else becomes irrelevant.]

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending