The Student Room Group

Funding and Loan for Scottish Student Studying in England?

Hey

I am currently studying a college course in Glasgow however plan to attend university in England.

There is not a lot of information online on finance for Scottish people attending uni in England. In terms of loans (maintenance and tuition fees) how much do you tend to get and what award body would I apply to etc?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by matl
what award body would I apply to

As a Scottish resident, you would apply to the SAAS for uni funding, regardless of where in the UK you plan to study.
Original post by matl
Hey

I am currently studying a college course in Glasgow however plan to attend university in England.

There is not a lot of information online on finance for Scottish people attending uni in England. In terms of loans (maintenance and tuition fees) how much do you tend to get and what award body would I apply to etc?

Thanks

You'd get your tuition fees paid through a student loan, which SAAS will organize. The maintenance loan and grant are dependant on your household income - you can find the combinations on the SAAS website.

I'm also heading down to England for uni this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Perhaps busking and begging? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
You'd get your tuition fees paid through a student loan, which SAAS will organize. The maintenance loan and grant are dependant on your household income - you can find the combinations on the SAAS website.

I'm also heading down to England for uni this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is SAAS still based on income?
Reply 5
Original post by matl
Is SAAS still based on income?

Yes, the core entitlement calculation is done in the same way for all UK student finance bodies.
Reply 6
Okay but surely you become an English resident when you start living down there....? I'm sure the SAAS website says you have to be living in Scotland during your course....
Original post by Shrap
Okay but surely you become an English resident when you start living down there....? I'm sure the SAAS website says you have to be living in Scotland during your course....

No, it is based on your parents residency as you are their dependant. If you/your parents have been living in Scotland for 3 years prior to starting your degree, you shall be classed as a Scottish resident no matter where in the UK you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
No, it is based on your parents residency as you are their dependant. If you/your parents have been living in Scotland for 3 years prior to starting your degree, you shall be classed as a Scottish resident no matter where in the UK you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Do you know if there are grants etc available? 9 grand a year seems like an obscene amount.
Original post by matl
Thanks. Do you know if there are grants etc available? 9 grand a year seems like an obscene amount.

You get the student loan for tuition: up to £9k that is paid immediately to the university - you never see that money.

Then you get a mix of maintenance loan/maintenance grant depending on your household income.

If you have a disability, are a young carer or have children you may be entitled to more help.

Also check out the unis websites, some may have scholarships or grants available.

Take a look here: http://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/ug/young/funding_available.htm
Original post by Shrap

Just to add to what has been said previously, it would have to a) the place you normally reside in and b) for reasons other than education. So, because I live in England, regardless of which uni I apply to, I have to apply to SFE because that's where I would normally reside in prior to applying and would have, as far as SFE (and the other funding bodies) are concerned, have moved there for education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending