The Student Room Group

Imperial MSc Business Analytics vs LSE Management Science (Decision Science)

Hi everyone,

I have received MSc offers for the following programmes

LSE Management Science (Decision Science)
ICL Business Analytics
Warwick Business Analytics

I do not really mind about the fees, but am trying to search for a degree that will best get me into consulting firms in UK or US or Hongkong. My alternative plan is to apply for PhD in Management Science or Data Analytics. I am mainly interested into the fields of big data analytics, and management information technology.

Both schools are very appealing but I am having a hard time to decide, but I think I will choose either LSE or Imperial over Warwick. If anyone has an experience with any of the schools, please give me some insight.

Sincerely
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LSE is probably best in terms of international reputation for business/management degrees. I also prefer the location of LSE personally. Imperial doesn't appeal to me at all. You just need to evaluate it yourself though really, as it's very subjective.
Reply 2
Original post by Cal-lum
LSE is probably best in terms of international reputation for business/management degrees. I also prefer the location of LSE personally. Imperial doesn't appeal to me at all. You just need to evaluate it yourself though really, as it's very subjective.

Thanks for your opinion Cal-lum! Can you give me some reasons why Imperial doesn't appeal to you? I thought the school has a good reputation both in the UK and other countries too.
Reply 3
Original post by chbk
Thanks for your opinion Cal-lum! Can you give me some reasons why Imperial doesn't appeal to you? I thought the school has a good reputation both in the UK and other countries too.

When I visited I didn't like the feel, too science-like, like a conveyer belt of mathematicians and engineers. I'm a social science student and it was all alien to me. The opportunities at LSE (inspirational speakers, etc.) are fantastic. Also the new communal building is absolutely exquisite in my opinion, it was beautiful. Also I don't think I could deal with the male:female ratio at Imperial as most of my good friends are females. I'm stereotyping, and this is just a personal view but it may help you I guess! They are both world class universities, so at the end of the day you will be in a good position after your degree no matter what.

Best of luck anyway :smile:
Hi chbk,
I'm interested in the same fields, and so was wondering whether you've made a decision? I've only started researching programs, and to me it looked like the Imperial program was more practical, (LSE program seemed a little more stats heavy/cobbled together at first glance), of course none of that matters if recruiters are just going by brand/LSE wins, so I'm curious to know if you made your decision/what factors are going into it..
Reply 5
If a phd is what you aim for then def LSE. IC's program is more practice-oriented and can help you find a job in the industry. Also LSE has better academic reputation in terms of management.
Reply 6
Hi felicityy05

I have made my decision and I chose Imperial MSc Business Analytics based on following considerations

1) I believe business analytics and management science are two different types of fields. While management science focuses more on theoretical understanding of operational research and decision science, business analytics is a practical course focusing on the manipulation of big data in business setting. LSE's website on management science even specifically mentions that the programme is very theoretical, and has not much to do with big data. For my masters degree, I want to study in a programme that deals with big data, data analysis, and data science.

2) My career goal after my master degree is to get a job in London ideally or hongkong or singapore. I am an international student so I am in a different position to EU students. For international students, the prospect of getting a consulting job is low, so I am looking at my possibilities in hongkong and singapore too. I heard that Imperial is more renowned in these countries than LSE (not saying that LSE is not).

3) I think imperial's reputation and strength in science will be beneficial for my future career. Many business schools are focusing on the use of computer science and information technology.

Feel free to share your opinion.

Original post by felicityy05
Hi chbk,
I'm interested in the same fields, and so was wondering whether you've made a decision? I've only started researching programs, and to me it looked like the Imperial program was more practical, (LSE program seemed a little more stats heavy/cobbled together at first glance), of course none of that matters if recruiters are just going by brand/LSE wins, so I'm curious to know if you made your decision/what factors are going into it..
Reply 7
Hi Chbk,

I have an offer from both Msc Business Analytics at Imperial and Msc Business Analytics at UCL. I am evaluating my options and wondering if you or anyone considered UCL for this course. I am not planning for PHD and based on post Msc career prospects I am leaning towards Imperial. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply 8
I think it will be wiser for you to compare the course structure of both programmes and decide on which suits better for you

Original post by nyasri
Hi Chbk,

I have an offer from both Msc Business Analytics at Imperial and Msc Business Analytics at UCL. I am evaluating my options and wondering if you or anyone considered UCL for this course. I am not planning for PHD and based on post Msc career prospects I am leaning towards Imperial. Any thoughts or suggestions?
hi chbk,

thanks for the detailed reply! sorry for going awol, i got quite caught up with the Imperial application, submitted it, *fingers crossed, hope I get in even though I'm kinda late!* agree with your points re: lse being more theoretical, i too am aiming for industry and practical application of big data analysis techniques, so I quite like the way the Imperial program is structured (and I hope students get benefits from the kpmg partnership, the data science institute - and if I get in I might even crash MBA recruitment events if I could heh..both programs under the business school is a good value add i think)

I'm an international student too! consulting in london does rather look like a tough nut to crack, i'm looking to relocate to london for personal reasons as well though so whatever gives me a leg up in the London job market would be great...

good to hear from you that it is well known in certain Asian countries, I didn't have much of a feel for its reputation given I live in the Middle East
(edited 9 years ago)
chbk,

any interview preparation advice for the Imperial programme? :smile:
Reply 11
:smile::smile:
Do you have any tips for ICL Business Analytics interview, what kind of question they will ask perharps the interview? Waiting for the interview. Thanks a lot.
general questions, read up on firms doing big data initiatives that interest you
Reply 13
:smile:Thanks a lot!!! could I know what's background is yours, worry about whether they take finance student or not?
Reply 14
Oh,

I got stuck in the same situation as well. I got offer from Business Analytics in ICL and Warwick, Management Sciences in LSE. Actually I already denied LSE offer because when I mailed the team to ask for more details, the modules are not really practical. It should be more about Operational Research than about Data. And yes, I'm also particularly interested in Data Science as well.

I'm quite concerned because ICL offers BA course 1st time this year whereas Warwick has started the course several years ago and I met with some alumni as well. They gave really good feedback for the course in Warwick, including career prospects.

One of my concern is also the costing. The tuition fees of both courses are relatively the same however Imperial with London location might cost me more in stipends. However, I'm a international student and expect to get a job in Singapore/HK after graduation as well. Therefore, international reputation should be an important factor, right.

I'm asking for some scholarship in both schools as well. Hope I could get some scholarships. :frown:

Could you guys share with me your advices on this case?

Thank so much
Hello Guys,

I just came across your blog and eager to know what happened? Did you guys get confirmation from ICL? If so how easy/difficult was it in the interview process. Also I would like to know your plans once you finish the course. I did spend sometime trying to find about ICL career oppurtunities and it seems not much support.
Reply 16
Hi bigdataguy,I will start the Msc in Business Analytics at Imperial College this October. As promised by their website, it looks like the class is going to be around 50 people (judging from the number of active people in the facebook group), but it is still really early to say anything about the programme (we didn't receive the syllabus of courses yet, as they are still working on it). If you ask again in October/November, I would probably be able to answer you much better :smile:

Personally, I am doing this master straight after college (where I studied economics), but it looks like most people of the master already have work experience/another master, or at least some internships (i.e. the median age seems a bit higher than the other master programmes of the business school). My plans after that are to work in strategy consulting, hopefully specializing in the implementation of big data structures for supply chain management.

The interview was pretty standard, at the level of the other masters of the business school. I think that contrary to many US schools, most of the sorting at ICL and in the UK in general is done through the essay/CV rather than through the interview.
(edited 8 years ago)
Congratulations Astropi and also thank you very much for taking time to respond. I really appreciate your commitment.
Since ICL is launching this course and yours is the first batch, which might the reason for the delays. However ICL stands out when compared to other colleges. I can understand how difficult it must be to decide between Warwick and ICL, both being good. Even I would have opted for ICL, because of the college, faculty and also location.

Good luck with the new course and do let us know your experience.
Reply 18
Hey guys, I am currently a senior studying business at a liberal arts school in Vermont, US. I am an international student. I am interested to apply for Msc in Business Analytics at Imperial and likewise at Carnegie Mellon as big data is so much appealing to me. I haven't taken any standardized tests and am not sure if Imperial requires those for Msc in Business Analytics program. I maintained 3.9 GPA throughout my college years. I do not have much work experiences related to Analytics. But I have taken advanced statistics, Econometrics and projects that required data analysis in my past internships.

Please give me some suggestions on the candidate profile, attractive qualifications and possibly job prospects? Can I get accepted even if I do not have any related work experience?

Thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 19
Not sure if this is the right thread but out of curiosity, which masters programmes would the BSc Management degree at LSE get you onto?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending