The Student Room Group

1 A level and 2 btecs. Please help, I can't stop crying

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
No one gives a crap after a few years post graduation.

It's all about your experience and previous success at that point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Russell group is a marketing technique then? Research has little link with undergraduates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cookies4623
Too old. By the time i left college i would be approaching my 20th birthday.

What do you mean too old? I'm changing courses in September and I'll be approaching 20 when I start uni too. It's only a year out, there are some people who start uni at like 23.
Original post by Binary Freak
Yeah ability is a great factor. I do take that back. But students that're trying, and putting an attempt into their future shouldn't be subject to being called a waste. Like many people consider a BTEC. For some it is an entry to something. For others it is an extra year for benefits (This annoys me beyond belief) and for others it is just purely because they want to go straight onto something specific. Or because the field they wish to enter is more vocational. (I won't explain this further because I feel as though it'd be going off topic).

Of course, we shouldn't ridicule people for their career choices; live and let live, and all that.

Original post by Binary Freak
But those that're genuinely trying to make something of themselves shouldn't be subject to scrutiny by those with skewed vision.

I don't see why anyone should be free from scrutiny if they make their choices public. Free from targeted harassment, perhaps; not criticism.
I don't understand difficult words like;

-genuinely
-skewed
please could someone explain them to me?

I am only 17 you know
Original post by 08.f.poswal
I don't understand difficult words like;

-genuinely
-skewed
please could someone explain them to me?

I am only 17 you know

Posted from TSR Mobile
So is there any way to resit my as/A level exams alongside my degree? Yes i know, a levels arnt really useful after degrees, yes I know it'll cost, yes I know the effort involved is massive, but im willing to do all that.
can someone tell me how I would go about resitting my AS exams without resitting the year? Is there a way I can do it alongside me degree if i was willing to self teach?

I don't think taking A levels alongside your degree is your main concern. I think your main concern should be to get some counselling to work through why you are prepared to pay and put yourself through all that just to get A levels because of what people might think of you! You're starting to sound insane!

And you'd never be able to do A levels alongside a degree. I don't think that would be humanly possible. It would also be ludicrous to do it for the reasons you want to do it for. I'm not trying to be mean, I know how you feel because I myself went through a stage where I felt that people would judge me because if my educational choices, but you HAVE to get over it. I'm just trying to make you see how crazy you're being. Why put yourself through all that stress just to impress other people? Seriously, life's too short!
Original post by TheUrbanTurban
Lol I never said Law was difficult but it still takes more brain power than: "the lighting upon the actor is used to make him appear scary"

First of all, it's horrible to call someone a 'degenerate', especially on their thread asking for help. Secondly, you are clearly uneducated because if someone wrote "the lighting upon the actor is used to make him appear scary" on a theatre studies A level or degree essay/exam paper they would be marked with a D, possibly lower. It takes a lot more than that to get a decent grade. You have clearly demonstrated how little you know about the OP's current and future subjects, so I think you'd be well advised to keep your prejudice, ill informed comments to yourself.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Of course, we shouldn't ridicule people for their career choices; live and let live, and all that.

I don't see why anyone should be free from scrutiny if they make their choices public. Free from targeted harassment, perhaps; not criticism.

This is what I was getting at. My choice of words can be quite bad sometimes :smile:
...thats actually true!! After gcse i dont think (other than results day) anyone asked me what I got during my time in sixth form. Maybe because it's the general attitude that 'youre in sixth form so you couldnt have got bad grades.' Youre saying its the same attitude in Uni. 'Oh youre in Uni so you couldnt have got bad grades.' ( particulary if its a good uni).
so, would you say that Gsces merely 'build the bridge' to A levels, and A levels merely 'build the bridge' to Uni?

Yeah, that is what I mean exactly! :smile:
Okay so I took A level theatre studies and double btec business. ive always had good grades my entire life and i chose them unaware of the 'unequality' even though the ucas points are considered the same. But now ive become aware of this I'm in a panic because now I am convinced that people will look down on me and lose respect simply because I took btecs. I plan to go to uni and get a masters, but thats another story. It would be okay if it was 2 a levels and 1 btec, as it shows I would be leaning towards 'acadmic' skills rather than 'practical'. It too late to resit the year and choose different courses. What am i going to do?? Am i going to be considered 'dumb' by employers and people in general? I'm predicted distinction*distinction*A* but i feel like that's not going to be enough now. I know im a little frantic right now but I feel like I've unintentionally ruined my life and employment chances and theres nothing I can do.

I feel like I'm in a similar position :frown:. I was homeschooled until I was 16 (19 in August- Year 14) amd was accepted to do English, Photography, Music and P.E at 6th Form, but my parents wouldn't allow it.

Instead I had to go to my local colllege and do a Level 2 Diploma in Music Technology and I've now just finished the Level 3 Entended Dioloma in Music Technology (both BTECs...). When studying the L3 qualification I also started A-Level music- and I'm so embarrassed!

I've been offered a place at Durham University (DDD) and I know I will easily get that as I'm predicted D*D*D*, but what if I get a blummin awful grade in my A Level? I'm not a particularly thick person, well I hope I'm not, but I don't think I deserve my place at all. My insurance is the University of Nottingham and I was accepted into Birmingham Conservatoire to study Double Bass but I decided against it for various reasons...

I just feel so thick :frown: I know I tell other people that they aren't if they do a BTEC but I can't rid myself of that thought. I have put practically zero effort into my BTEC, even finihing it early and 'tutoring' other member sof the coass, but I put quite a bit into my A Level. Does this mena I'm stupid and that I shouldn't e going to University?
Original post by NellieCornelia
I feel like I'm in a similar position :frown:. I was homeschooled until I was 16 (19 in August- Year 14) amd was accepted to do English, Photography, Music and P.E at 6th Form, but my parents wouldn't allow it.

Instead I had to go to my local colllege and do a Level 2 Diploma in Music Technology and I've now just finished the Level 3 Entended Dioloma in Music Technology (both BTECs...). When studying the L3 qualification I also started A-Level music- and I'm so embarrassed!

I've been offered a place at Durham University (DDD) and I know I will easily get that as I'm predicted D*D*D*, but what if I get a blummin awful grade in my A Level? I'm not a particularly thick person, well I hope I'm not, but I don't think I deserve my place at all. My insurance is the University of Nottingham and I was accepted into Birmingham Conservatoire to study Double Bass but I decided against it for various reasons...

I just feel so thick :frown: I know I tell other people that they aren't if they do a BTEC but I can't rid myself of that thought. I have put practically zero effort into my BTEC, even finihing it early and 'tutoring' other member sof the coass, but I put quite a bit into my A Level. Does this mena I'm stupid and that I shouldn't e going to University?

Nope, it just means that the BTEC way of studying is better for you and that it suited your talents. You would not have received offers from those universities unless they saw talent and potential. Just get onto your degree and don't worry about it. A BTEC won't hold you back.
I DID research them. I was told by my teachers that even though they were different courses they were worth the same amount of UCAS points and would be considered 'equal' by most unis. It was only after being on here for a while I realised what peope truely thought of them, and it sent me into a panic. Can you not see things from my side of the story?

Yeh on here.....Its full of people whom have no idea about the world.

Don't worry about it. You'll do okay.
What Uni did you end up going to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My btecs bring all the boys to the yard, damn right, they're better than yours
Reply 214
Honestly you'll get into most universities that you have the entry requirements for. I've got 3 A levels grades AAC and got into my university of choice but if I could go back and do it again I would have 100% chose BTEC to save myself the stress. Take a look on ucas at some courses you are interested in, if they are saying the accept BTECs they won't look down on them. Don't stress yourself out about things you don't need to, just focus on getting the grades.
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
During year 11, did you not think to research what your options were after finishing school? Seems a bit silly to me tbh.

Even if true that's not helpful.
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
During year 11, did you not think to research what your options were after finishing school? Seems a bit silly to me tbh.

We're still kids at that age, and you never know the circumstance.

Quick Reply

Latest