The Student Room Group

I'm actually not ready for employment :/

Hey, I heard that Employment Support Allowance for those with mental health problems, learning disabilities and other health conditions interfering with their being in the workforce, are being cut by the government this year. Is this true? There's already quite a harsh ATOS test for disability benefits which many have failed. As it happens I am part of the WRAP program which means I do some therapeutic volunteering in the week (up to 16 hours) to get basic JSA rate i.e. £57 a week. I'm on it due to my anxiety issues, hypochondria and some depressive symptoms among other insecurities. I've been on a waiting list for treatment for 5 months but it's not budging. I don't really know whether I deserve to be on this scheme and maybe it will be good for it to get scrapped idk, some people really do need it though (maybe not me) :/ :s-smilie:
Just get a job. I've read enough of your posts to realise that you are not so crippled by mental illness to justify being on benefits, you just enjoy being pathetic.
Original post by Birkenhead
Just get a job. I've read enough of your posts to realise that you are not so crippled by mental illness to justify being on benefits, you just enjoy being pathetic.

I don't truly enjoy it, not in an empowering sense if that's what you believe. But yeah fair enough.

What then counts as 'so crippled'? It's on-off, I believe the depression element is mostly under control, the anxiety and obsession is terrible still hence the addiction to TSR
Reply 3
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Hey, I heard that Employment Support Allowance for those with mental health problems, learning disabilities and other health conditions interfering with their being in the workforce, are being cut by the government this year. Is this true? There's already quite a harsh ATOS test for disability benefits which many have failed. As it happens I am part of the WRAP program which means I do some therapeutic volunteering in the week (up to 16 hours) to get basic JSA rate i.e. £57 a week. I'm on it due to my anxiety issues, hypochondria and some depressive symptoms among other insecurities. I've been on a waiting list for treatment for 5 months but it's not budging. I don't really know whether I deserve to be on this scheme and maybe it will be good for it to get scrapped idk, some people really do need it though (maybe not me) :/ :s-smilie:

If you can cope with volunteering 16 hours per week then you can cope with working part time 16 hours per week.

Actually i'd wager that something stress free like retail might be good for you, at least you'd feel like your earning and paying your way.
Original post by Rakas21
If you can cope with volunteering 16 hours per week then you can cope with working part time 16 hours per week.

Actually i'd wager that something stress free like retail might be good for you, at least you'd feel like your earning and paying your way.

Retail, stress free? Are you for real? That's the absolute worst advice I've ever read on here. Have you actually worked in retail? The very last thing I'd describe it as is 'stress-free'.
Reply 5
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Retail, stress free? Are you for real? That's the absolute worst advice I've ever read on here. Have you actually worked in retail? The very last thing I'd describe it as is 'stress-free'.

Worked in retail for 2 and a half years and a bar for 18 months all before uni. Retail was by far the least stressful thing I've ever done.
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21
Worked in retail for 2 and a half years and a bar for 18 months all before uni. Retail was by far the least stressful thing I've ever done.

I'd vouch for this. Similar experience, retail isn't really a stressful field.
Original post by Rakas21

I'd be interested to know what retail company you were at and in what capacity because retail is not stress free at all. I've worked in busy city center retail stores as customer facing staff and it is incredibly stressful (esp at xmas) so much so that our staff turnover was always high. If your experience of it truly was stress free then you either didn't work in major stores or you are in the minority who enjoy retail and shouldn't be advising someone with mental health issues to go into it because it's 'stress free' - that is such a misrepresentation of the industry. Just because something is typically minimum wage and doesn't require many qualifications does not mean it is stress free - it's usually the opposite.

My advice, OP, would be to continue with voluntary and if you enjoy it and feel well enough try to find a paid position doing what you already do. Do something you feel able to cope with.
Reply 8
I'd be interested to know what retail company you were at and in what capacity because retail is not stress free at all. I've worked in busy city center retail stores as customer facing staff and it is incredibly stressful (esp at xmas) so much so that our staff turnover was always high. If your experience of it truly was stress free then you either didn't work in major stores or you are in the minority who enjoy retail and shouldn't be advising someone with mental health issues to go into it because it's 'stress free' - that is such a misrepresentation of the industry. Just because something is typically minimum wage and doesn't require many qualifications does not mean it is stress free - it's usually the opposite.

My advice, OP, would be to continue with voluntary and if you enjoy it and feel well enough try to find a paid position doing what you already do. Do something you feel able to cope with.

On the contrary, I first worked at the biggest Sports World in Yorkshire (J27 - left for higher pay at a computing shop that was opening but that went nowhere since it ended up never opening and I'd quit a month or two earlier to enjoy the summer since I had savings), then I worked for a sole trader clothes shop where I was essentially in charge when the owner was out and then I worked at the Currys/PC world megastore which for Christmas period 09 was the 8th busiest in the country. I heavily resent the notion that I did nothing since I was offered a supervisor position in another store to stay at Sports World and likewise at the bar, I've also always been gifted hours by management because I'm dependable and frankly good. Being rushed is not stress really.

That being said, you may be right about me not being the norm since I've always being quite stress free. I don't dislike retail, I just don't like it because it's never challenged me mentally. The idiocy of people not knowing what a USB was in PC world as well.. Arghhh.
Original post by Rakas21

I was in retail for 3 years before going on benefits after graduating, I ended up choosing benefits due to my manager refusing to give me extra hours over summer, as well as indirectly discriminating against my disability, etc. Ideally I'd like to work towards a more exciting sector than retail, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Original post by Rakas21
On the contrary, I first worked at the biggest Sports World in Yorkshire (J27 - left for higher pay at a computing shop that was opening but that went nowhere since it ended up never opening and I'd quit a month or two earlier to enjoy the summer since I had savings), then I worked for a sole trader clothes shop where I was essentially in charge when the owner was out and then I worked at the Currys/PC world megastore which for Christmas period 09 was the 8th busiest in the country. I heavily resent the notion that I did nothing since I was offered a supervisor position in another store to stay at Sports World and likewise at the bar, I've also always been gifted hours by management because I'm dependable and frankly good. Being rushed is not stress really.

That being said, you may be right about me not being the norm since I've always being quite stress free. I don't dislike retail, I just don't like it because it's never challenged me mentally. The idiocy of people not knowing what a USB was in PC world as well.. Arghhh.

Original post by pjm600
I'd vouch for this. Similar experience, retail isn't really a stressful field.

I reiterate retail was quite stressful and my employer was rather condescending to me, although I would return to it if I had to, and I do not think I'm at your stage yet Sir Rakas. :redface:

Thanks for the advice somethingbeautiful :smile:
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Sir Rakas. :redface:

)

That does have a nice ring, i must say. :colondollar:

I've often wondered if i should change my username to reflect my virtual stature. Perhaps Lord Rakas instead though. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest