The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No more metaphors... please.
Lawz-
That's interesting, but a pity you won't be more specific.

However, my experience in regard to recruitment preference, rather than intellectual rigour, is that Hull would not be placed above any of those, or at least not above any of the following:

Oxford
Cambridge
UCL
KCL
LSE
Bristol
Nottingham
Warwick
Durham
Manchester
Leeds

IMHO:

Oxford
Cambridge
UCL
KCL
LSE
Bristol
Nottingham
Warwick
Durham
QMUL
HULL :biggrin:
Manchester
Leeds
Birmingham
Southampton
LauraWalker
Thanks for the vote of confidence but the course book that stated that tax does not involve computations was frankly telling porkies. This has not stood me in good ground shall we say. Infact I am on a marsh and I am sinking, I am skating on thin ice and I have a feeling it is going to crack and drown me. Um... may-be I should not have turned down the tabs afterall.

Do you need a hand with any maths ?
I am fairly adequate at that sort of thing.

What particularly are you having issues with ?
I'd have to agree with fundamentally's ratings (unsure over oxford and cambridge order) except I would put LSE above UCL, and move KCL down... probably to just after Durham. Also I would put Notts above Bristol, but that's a purely personal thing... plenty would go either way.

Manchester definitely above hull... so I guess I actually differ on quite a lot of things!
fundamentally
Do you need a hand with any maths ?
I am fairly adequate at that sort of thing.

What particularly are you having issues with ?

Well I should not really admit this but because numbers are not my strong point I drift off in seminars. When we use examples I find it hard to join in as much, then I worry that I come across like I am not contributing or caring much. I am going to sit down and really work at that subject over the holiday. Thank You for your kind offer of help. I will ask if there are any specific issues. At the end of the day, it is law not maths but I not as 'quick' when it comes to having a natter about numbers
Lewisy-boy
No more metaphors... please.

:frown:
What, I asked nicely and everything...
Reply 67
Lewisy-boy
I'd have to agree with fundamentally's ratings (unsure over oxford and cambridge order) except I would put LSE above UCL, and move KCL down... probably to just after Durham. Also I would put Notts above Bristol, but that's a purely personal thing... plenty would go either way.

Manchester definitely above hull... so I guess I actually differ on quite a lot of things!

My experience of firms' recruitment targets would contradict that.

I would say that LSE tends to be targeted a touch more than UCL and KCL, though the latter two are often viewed in an almost interchangible way. Further, I would certainly not place KCL below Nottingham, Durham or Warwick either (especially not Warwick).

Bristol is seen in a slightly inconsistent light, but is generally below the UoL colleges in my experience, though occassionally a firm seems to have a fetish for it, and I have encountered those who target it straight after Oxbridge.

I would however agree that Manchester is certainly seen as preferable to HUll by the majority of employers.

Regardless though, my original list was not intended to be in any sort of order.
Yeah appreciated... I think the marginal differences between these schools anyway (as we seem to have debated to death) means that a degree form any of them puts you on an identical standing... thereafter it is down to you. Non-one is going to recruit you because, for example, you have a KCL degree over a Warwick degree... personal characteristics are the most improtant aspect once you have your 2:1 from anywhere "at the top".

A lot of threads end up with discussions like this.
Reply 69
I'm just waiting for the first post which will equate a particular law department with a £5 Tesco value kettle...
Don't tempt me...
Reply 71
Really?
well, I am tempted. The University of Bolton if it has one
If you're all so worried about the impact of where you read your degree on becoming a lawyer, wouldn't you be better asking who is the best provider of the BVC or LPC?

If it were purely down to undergraduate credentials, then EVERY law student (with such a desire) would become a top lawyer (assuming that is their initial intention). This clearly isn't the case.
Well no, that's not true... there aren't enough places, some schools aren't rated as highly etc, in fact... nothing you said makes any sense.
Lewisy-boy
Well no, that's not true... there aren't enough places, some schools aren't rated as highly etc, in fact... nothing you said makes any sense.

Yes, I meant to say every student from a top law school.
I still don't see your point about best provider of the LPC or BVC, it clearly has a lesser impact provided you can show your reasons for having undertaken the course where you did...
I hate Bolton for personal reasons, too many enemies there. No dear, CWTF I did not think they could possibly do law yet.
How quaint!

Latest

Trending

Trending