The Student Room Group

people who try desperately to conform to gender sterotypes

Sometimes does it annoy you when people try to conform to gender stereotypes or behave in a contrived why to fit into a masculine/feminine paradigm? My sisters boyfriend kind of does this. For example he always goes on about how much he likes beer etc. When my sister had her baby he had a bottle of beer in the house when I went round and then he said he would make a cot for her (woodwork). Kind of because the environment was feminine with all the baby stuff he kind of is going against it. In the same way his friends always drone on about how they like beer I find it so boring and cringey, Even though I like beer I don't go on about it or try to appear 'masculine'. Also when people wear football shirts in random situations etc. People are desperate to not be seen as gay. Other stereotypes exist like when people don't want to be seen as a geek or 'keener' so they try and pretend they don't care about their education.
I agree it is incredibly tedious. I lose respect for men who are like that if I'm honest. It shows a real inability to think outside the box.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Guy Secretan
Sometimes does it annoy you when people try to conform to gender stereotypes or behave in a contrived why to fit into a masculine/feminine paradigm? My sisters boyfriend kind of does this. For example he always goes on about how much he likes beer etc. When my sister had her baby he had a bottle of beer in the house when I went round and then he said he would make a cot for her (woodwork). Kind of because the environment was feminine with all the baby stuff he kind of is going against it. In the same way his friends always drone on about how they like beer I find it so boring and cringey, Even though I like beer I don't go on about it or try to appear 'masculine'. Also when people wear football shirts in random situations etc. People are desperate to not be seen as gay. Other stereotypes exist like when people don't want to be seen as a geek or 'keener' so they try and pretend they don't care about their education.

maybe they just really like beer?

most people grow out of stupid teenage **** like worrying about being seen as gay or nerdy.
Calm down, maybe he just likes beer. Thats hardly some secret plot to establish the patriarchy.
It can be annoying, yes.

But the person in your example doesn't sound like that.
No but if you like beer fair enough but why feel the need to vocalise it? Also if a bloke like wine it doesn't make them gay. Also a lot of gay blokes drink rose or wine just because they are conforming to a gay stereotype.
ikr and then they go thinking facial aesthetics >life

oh wait
A grown adult can do whatever they want in my eyes. I don't care if you want to drink beer to seem manly or whatever. But parents shouldn't force gender stereotypes on their children.

Quick Reply

Latest