The Student Room Group

Miliband's promise to lower tuition fees - do you believe him?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't give a damn if he reduces it from 9000 to 6000.

Instead make my uni life financially easier. No party has ever thought about that have they?
Original post by TorpidPhil
I believe he will do it, however I think it's a bad idea. The rate at which you pay interest on your £27k from a degree is very fair I think. Why should tax payers for my superior education? I mean, they already do of course. A chinese student I know studying at my uni is paying £80k for her degree - no government subsidy. Honestly it's fair. I will earn more from getting this degree. It helps me out in life big-time, I should pay for it myself and in doing I spend on a decent cause, you know, university research and the education of others.

It would be different if the debt burden was overwhelming, but 0.5% interest is a joke, that's under the rate of inflation most of the time and you won't pay it back if you aren't earning 21k a year, that's low, I know, but seriously the amount you have to pay each month is so tiny it is ridiculous to cry about it when you're earning over 21k a year. Then if you haven't paid it off after so many years the government just does it for you anyway.

Also, I think it's very unfair to just say "nick clegg lied". He didn't get "in power". I am sure if lib dems got a majority they would have cut tuition fees, but there you go.

Original post by Quady
No students have 0.5% interest on their loan, at the minimum its 1.5% under the old system. New style loans have a higher interest rate.

Which is quite a lot less than CPI right now at 0.3%.
Having being paying off my loan for many years now, I'm pretty sure it's had significantly more than 0.5% interest on it and often appears to be above inflation. Not sure who decides on the interest, but it's hardly ever what it's claimed to be.
Original post by Knugs
I don't give a damn if he reduces it from 9000 to 6000.

Instead make my uni life financially easier. No party has ever thought about that have they?

The Labour plans also include and increase in the maintenance grant of £400 if you're family earns less than £42,000 a year.

Not sure if you'd fall in to that group, but it will help make life at uni a bit financially easier for many people.
Reply 23
Original post by RK
The Labour plans also include and increase in the maintenance grant of £400 if you're family earns less than £42,000 a year.

Not sure if you'd fall in to that group, but it will help make life at uni a bit financially easier for many people.

Most of us struggling are not the ones with below 42,000 household income but the families that earn just above it, have mortgages, other siblings going to universities and whatever costs. There is no way a family like that can help out students covering their expenses of universities.

For me this is a better solution.
Increase the available amount of maintenance loan that can be taken out
Treat families with more children at university completely different.
Increase the age from 50-60.
Keep the tuition fees the same

However, I do appreciate Labours effort to do something for students. We havent seen that from any other parties at all. No idea why there are soo many people voting on the blues in the poll.
Reply 24
I think the current system is fair.

I have no idea how the government would afford this, and the backlash from universities would be huge. I remember reading how universities like Oxbridge are already making a loss on educating students, so I can't image any prestigious university would like this move. Lowering fees would also make international applicants more attractive to universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
So if this happens how do the unis raise the missing £3k per student? By getting central funding from the government. Which has to be paid for from tax. How?
Reply 26
It's almost as if he's trying to be an idiot.

How do we have so many terrible politicians?
If he does it, they had better reimburse those of us who paid £9000 for three years. Until there is that promise, I will vote conservative.
Reply 28
Original post by curiousc@t
If he does it, they had better reimburse those of us who paid £9000 for three years. Until there is that promise, I will vote conservative.

That makes no sense. It wasn't labour policy to increase the tuition fees (it was the Conservatives, supported by LibDem) so why would Labour reimburse them?

If you don't like the fees why vote Conservative?
(edited 9 years ago)
It makes total sense.

labour introduced tuition fees in the first place.

why should my cohort get screwed over by paying £9000 and everyone gets away with paying less.

dont tell me thats life and it isnt fair. it is morally wrong and i will not vote labour if they dont reinburse us.
Original post by TorpidPhil

Also, I think it's very unfair to just say "nick clegg lied". He didn't get "in power". I am sure if lib dems got a majority they would have cut tuition fees, but there you go.

The horrible reality is people in the UK arent used too coalitions, hence when parties enter a coalition and inevitably cant fulfill every single policy, it drives their supporters berserk.

Labour and the Tories would have made tuition fees far worse if they had entered government alone.
http://www.libdems.org.uk/get_the_facts_student_finance

But this goes against everything that they are being told by labour HQ unfortunately. I had the pleasure of informing a group of labour students that Labour introduced tuition fees int he first place, which funnily doesnt seem to register.
Reply 31
Original post by RK
Not sure who decides on the interest, but it's hardly ever what it's claimed to be.

Really?

Mine was always what it claims to be.

Surely you should contact SLC if its wrong (unless its less than it should be, then keep quiet!).
Reply 32
Lets pretend an election isn't coming up.....
Reply 33
It makes total sense.

why should my cohort get screwed over by paying £9000 and everyone gets away with paying less.

dont tell me thats life and it isnt fair. it is morally wrong and i will not vote labour if they dont reinburse us.

why vote conservative if you don't support paying £9k?
Reply 34
Original post by RK
I'm pretty sure Labour will go through with it if they get in to power.

In addition, Labour have very little to lose from offending wealthy pensioners. Very few will support Labour any way, so nothing to lose there.

Now they've announced how it'll be funded I doubt there will be much kick back, and they'll go through with it.

Wealthy pensioners never looked in the frame to get hurt, those on over £42k in work might ahve been though, but thats not was announced. A fair chunk of higher rate tax payers vote labour.
Reply 35

Should people under the £3k fees system who earn less than £20k be reinbursed too?

How about people who bought a house on slab rate stamp duty?

How about people who bought beer when duty was higher?
Reply 36
Original post by jneill
So if this happens how do the unis raise the missing £3k per student? By getting central funding from the government. Which has to be paid for from tax. How?

haven't you followed the speech?

And it won't all come from tax, some of it will come from higher interest on student loans.
Reply 37
It makes total sense.

Why did your cohort get away with being offered a fee loan?
It makes total sense.

it makes no sense at all. If I buy a car from Al for £12000 and 3 months later Bob takes over the showroom and starts selling the same model for £11000, can I ask Bob for the difference? Would you give it if you were Bob?

you're not going to pay it anyway, the large majority of you. Your cohort will owe £27000 and on the average pay off £15000 and the next cohort will owe £18000 and on the average pay off £15000. Perhaps they should protest that you're having a greater write down than them ;-)
Reply 39
Original post by O.Ozz
HOLY ****!!! :eek:

I Will support Labour if he does this!!!!!

If you're under 18 you don't get a vote.

If you're 18 or over then you'll be paying £9k for the first year.

So I'm confused why you're so excited.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending