The Student Room Group

Housemate treats me a bit like a kid :/ dont know what to do?

hi,

ive been living wth my housemate for about a month now. dont really know him that well, but myself and my friends have noticed ona few occasions that he seems a bit arrogant and patronizing. I always had a hunch that he was, but i was never sure and i didnt want to judge so quickly. this morning i was getting ready in the bathroom, and i was tying a ribbon in my ponytail. its just something i do every now and then to make it different. and my housemate came out of his room saw me and said . ' oh ur typing ur little ribbon'. i was kinda of surprised when he said this cos it sounded a bit patronizing ... so i just repeated 'did u say little?' and i said it wasnt that 'little' and he said ' i suppose, its pretty big' and we just left it at that. i just felt like he was treating me a little kid. even though we're more or less the same age . im a bit annoyed that he said that, but im not sure how to take it. does anyone have any advice? like he's called me 'kiddo' before , but i just joked it off because i didnt really want to tell hm off. but its abit annoying. he seems quite full of himself sometimes. :/ any ideas what i can do/not do?

Thanks in advacne guys :biggrin:
AC
Reply 1
You could act like a child. Maybe piss on his duvet covers?
If I was in your position, I'd probably be too polite to say anything unless I felt like I had a close enough relationship with him to tell him that I think he can be patronising. I might say in response to certain things, what do you mean by that? Etc, so I'd question him, but it probably wouldn't go much further than that. Some people are just like that, and I guess its something we have to get used to, but, depending on what would make you feel better, maybe approach him, but I could see that being really awkward, because its not like anything big has happened. What do you think?
I have a flatmate like that. Quite ignorant. Slightly racist. Huge ego. Control freak. Doesn't really affect me much though. I'm hardly ever in the flat lol.

I did confront him once when he was being annoying and he apologized a few days later. He's just one of those people who is a dick but doesn't know he's a dick.
(edited 9 years ago)
Speak to your housemate about how you feel. Not in a confrontational way, but just let him know that you feel some of his comments are a bit patronising. If you don't say anything then nothing will change.
Reply 5
Leave him to it. I find if you ignore these types they soon work out they are ********s and try to change [not all but some]

Ignore him
Reply 6
Kiddo is a pretty standard term of endearment where I'm from along with love, pet and boy. Obviously some people take offence to these words, especially the further south you go, but most of the time the person using them means no harm.

He could be a prat, or he could just be on a different wave length to everyone else. For some people taking the piss is just a standard form of bonding. But obviously he should read visual clues, and not use it if a person doesn't take well to it. My advice is that if he does something to annoy you again just ask him not to it again, and that you don't appreciate. Unless he is an utter prat he'll take the hint and treat you differently.
Original post by amicableocean
hi,

ive been living wth my housemate for about a month now. dont really know him that well, but myself and my friends have noticed ona few occasions that he seems a bit arrogant and patronizing. I always had a hunch that he was, but i was never sure and i didnt want to judge so quickly. this morning i was getting ready in the bathroom, and i was tying a ribbon in my ponytail. its just something i do every now and then to make it different. and my housemate came out of his room saw me and said . ' oh ur typing ur little ribbon'. i was kinda of surprised when he said this cos it sounded a bit patronizing ... so i just repeated 'did u say little?' and i said it wasnt that 'little' and he said ' i suppose, its pretty big' and we just left it at that. i just felt like he was treating me a little kid. even though we're more or less the same age . im a bit annoyed that he said that, but im not sure how to take it. does anyone have any advice? like he's called me 'kiddo' before , but i just joked it off because i didnt really want to tell hm off. but its abit annoying. he seems quite full of himself sometimes. :/ any ideas what i can do/not do?

Thanks in advacne guys :biggrin:
AC

Chances are he's not even consciously doing it. Make a joke out of it when he does it and he should get the message.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending