The Student Room Group
Ravensbourne University London
London

Ravensbourne or LCC???

I've applied for graphic design at ravensbourne and lcc but im really torn between the two - i loooove ravensbourne but obviously lcc has such a good reputation and offers more traditional facilities... anybody have any opinions on the two?
Also does the fact ravensbourne is highly digital and possibly not as well known effect employment and opportunities after uni?
Reply 1
Original post by Georginamay96
I've applied for graphic design at ravensbourne and lcc but im really torn between the two - i loooove ravensbourne but obviously lcc has such a good reputation and offers more traditional facilities... anybody have any opinions on the two?
Also does the fact ravensbourne is highly digital and possibly not as well known effect employment and opportunities after uni?

I had interviews in both of them and I personally didn't like the idea of an open working space in Ravensbourne. I would get easily distracted without any private corner or separate rooms. Also the need to have a laptop sounds really bad. They give this £300 laptop bursary which is only enough to buy an outdated laptop. The fact that you always need to carry it with yourself sounds even worse. Instead of that they could focus on expanding their pc and mac studio facilities. They currently have only couple of rooms with computers available.

When you open their website it looks like they're only proud of their building and the location. Oh, also the 3D printers and multimedia equipment.

I believe Ravensbourne is an amazing place to study if you're into filming, music, product design, etc. However, for graphics courses LCC offers way more than just nice tables with several sockets to plug your laptop.

That's my opinion. :smile:

By the way, the interview in Ravensbourne was very unorganized compared to LCC.
(edited 9 years ago)
London
Original post by Georginamay96

Hey Georginamay96 :biggrin:

As a student at Ravensbourne, I've chosen to come here because of the offers that Ravensbourne has to give. In my opinion, I enjoy the open space because it allows us to re-range the equipment and use the space more effectively especially when events take place such as the Degree Show, Freshers fair etc :smile:

Ravensbourne offer software that benefits us for free such as Adobe Photoshop, illustrator, InDesign etc. :u:

We also have people who come in and give public talks about what they have experienced within the industry (also known as Ravensbourne Lates), such as Lyn May who is a graphic designer and a professional software trainer and college lecturer. She came in and taught us a bit about some of the Adobe programmes and provided us with information on some of techniques and skills we can use or develop.

The talks that are advertised are open to all courses so if you're interested in events that are not hosted by your subject area department you can still attend them. :biggrin:

Some upcoming lecturers that are at Ravensbourne are linked here if you want to find out a bit more about them. Our next Ravensbourne Late is Jake Dow-smith (a Graphics Designer).

Ravensbourne also has are partnered up with some companies such as M&S, Ogilvy, Samsung etc, who we collaborate with. (Click here if you want to see more)

I hope that this helps.

Kay :h:
Reply 3
I've done a year at LCC and am now at Ravensbourne , Ravensbourne is muuuuuuuch better !!!

More personal
Smaller classes (in LCC there were 300 on the course in Rave there is 25)

Building is a lot nicer doesn't feel like a dungeon

Everybody on all the other courses are really friendly and no one is really hard to talk to I'm on my 3rd day there and have already made more friends than I did at LCC, LCC was very rushed less organised and just not as sharp as ravensbourne in general everything is just much more planned out here.

Also ravensbourne freshens is dope aswell , it's almost none existent at LCC apart from one rave in Peckham.
Which did you choose!? have you enjoyed it???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending