The Student Room Group

I'm allergic to fruit and vegetables - AMA

Apples, dragonfruits, pears and celery are the bane of my existence.

Fire away with the questions, TSRians.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Expired Potato
Apples, dragonfruits, pears and celery are the bane of my existence.

Fire away with the questions, TSRians.

How often do ye wear hats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you sure it's ALL fruit and veg?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Are you sure it's ALL fruit and veg?

I don't react to Lychees, oranges, bananas, mangoes.

So far I've discovered I'm allergic to apples, celery, dragonfruit and pears. Uncooked, that is. It's OAS.
Original post by channies
How often do ye wear hats?

Posted from TSR Mobile

About half of the time if it goes with what I'm wearing!

I'm just getting into hats tbh, but the black fedora in my display picture is my favourite.
Considering you are an expired potato, have you started chitting yet?
I doubt you're 'allergic' to fruit and vegetables, you probably just have an intolerance or never grew into liking fruits and vegetables like the rest of us had to :redface:

What actually happens when you eat them?
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I doubt you're 'allergic' to fruit and vegetables, you probably just have an intolerance or never grew into liking fruits and vegetables like the rest of us had to :redface:

What actually happens when you eat them?

My lips start stinging and burning and my gums go swollen, along with a throat itch.

I've always enjoyed apples and other fruits though, just a few years ago I began to get negative reactions from fresh fruits because of my hayfever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My lips start stinging and burning and my gums go swollen, along with a throat itch.

I've always enjoyed apples and other fruits though, just a few years ago I began to get negative reactions from fresh fruits because of my hayfever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps you really are allergic :lol: your antibodies suddenly turned on fruit and decided to attack them, how sad.

What did the doctors say?
Perhaps you really are allergic :lol: your antibodies suddenly turned on fruit and decided to attack them, how sad.

What did the doctors say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I havent actually gone to the doctors or my GP yet, I'm just learning which fruits and veg give me that reaction. If you look up Oral Allergy Syndrome that's what I have, so though other people'll react to certain fruits, everyone with OAS has different triggers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
Considering you are an expired potato, have you started chitting yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not yet, I'm an expired and different potato :no:
Reply 11
What are your symptoms?
I kinda know how annoying this is. I'm mildly allergic to bananas but I really like them so I just plough on through the reaction.
I havent actually gone to the doctors or my GP yet, I'm just learning which fruits and veg give me that reaction. If you look up Oral Allergy Syndrome that's what I have, so though other people'll react to certain fruits, everyone with OAS has different triggers.

Do you have reactions to fruit juices also?

If you go to the GP, I'm sure they might be able to save you some time and test for a few other common allergies rather than experiencing them beforehand.
Do you have reactions to fruit juices also?

If you go to the GP, I'm sure they might be able to save you some time and test for a few other common allergies rather than experiencing them beforehand.

I don't get any reactions to fruit juices or when any food has been cooked.

Funnily enough, smoothies I buy in the supermarket don't kickstart any reaction, but when my dad made me a smoothie I had an instant reaction to the apples he put into it. Weird, huh, Eva?
I don't react to Lychees, oranges, bananas, mangoes.

So far I've discovered I'm allergic to apples, celery, dragonfruit and pears. Uncooked, that is. It's OAS.

How do you get through the day knowing you won't have some sliced celery and cheese waiting for you at the end?
Original post by Birkenhead
How do you get through the day knowing you won't have some sliced celery and cheese waiting for you at the end?

I don't mind it, I just opt for the milk and oreos :sexface:
I don't get any reactions to fruit juices or when any food has been cooked.

Funnily enough, smoothies I buy in the supermarket don't kickstart any reaction, but when my dad made me a smoothie I had an instant reaction to the apples he put into it. Weird, huh, Eva?

I wouldn't say it's weird, it's actually quite understandable since home made smoothies are fresher, are more natural and might not be blended as thoroughly. Also a lot of supermarket smoothies aren't completely fruit based, there are usually added ingredients which might dull the effects.

Who drinks smoothies anyway? :cool:
I wouldn't say it's weird, it's actually quite understandable since home made smoothies are fresher, are more natural and might not be blended as thoroughly. Also a lot of supermarket smoothies aren't completely fruit based, there are usually added ingredients which might dull the effects.

Who drinks smoothies anyway? :cool:

I drink smoothies :cry2:

So what you mean to tell me is Innocent smoothies - aren't? :cry:
I drink smoothies :cry2:

So what you mean to tell me is Innocent smoothies - aren't? :cry:

They're as innocent as a thief in broad daylight :sad:

You didn't hear it from me :ninja:

Quick Reply

Latest