The Student Room Group

Feel nervous about going to doctors...

So I wouldn't normally feel nervous about seeing my gp but I am going on Tuesday morning because I am worried about some skin tags/flaps I have noticed hanging down from inside my vagina hole.

I haven't been to see a doctor about this kind of thing before and I don't really know how to word things. This is going to sound so stupid but when she asks "what can I do for you?" Shall I say well firstly it's a gynological issue? If that's what it's called? Or should I just say straight out "I have noticed some fleshy skin tags growing inside my vagina hole and I want to get them checked out to make sure its nothing abnormal"? I just feel like that's quite graphic? Like is there something I can say just like a sentence to introduce so she knows it's going to be an issue like that, for example saying well firstly it's a....issue? ...being an appropriate word ie gynological.?

I dunno I just think so many people see doctors about things like skin rashes and stomach problems and I don't want her to feel shocked when I straight away say it's a vaginal issue. Or am I being paranoid? I don't know how often doctors deal with these kind of issues. Also I was thinking of getting tested for a bacterial infection at the same time because I am worried about that - I have a few symptoms. Should I mention that first and say, when she asks me what the problem is "I think I may have a vaginal infection" just to start off then when I have chatted about that for a bit then mention the skin tags?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ps. Is it ok do you think to discuss a potential infection at the same appointment as the skin flaps? I mean they are kind of related and she would need to do a pelvic exam for both anyway?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I wouldn't normally feel nervous about seeing my gp but I am going on Tuesday morning because I am worried about some skin tags/flaps I have noticed hanging down from inside my vagina hole.

I haven't been to see a doctor about this kind of thing before and I don't really know how to word things. This is going to sound so stupid but when she asks "what can I do for you?" Shall I say well firstly it's a gynological issue? If that's what it's called? Or should I just say straight out "I have noticed some fleshy skin tags growing inside my vagina hole and I want to get them checked out to make sure its nothing abnormal"? I just feel like that's quite graphic? Like is there something I can say just like a sentence to introduce so she knows it's going to be an issue like that, for example saying well firstly it's a....issue? ...being an appropriate word ie gynological.?

I dunno I just think so many people see doctors about things like skin rashes and stomach problems and I don't want her to feel shocked when I straight away say it's a vaginal issue. Or am I being paranoid? I don't know how often doctors deal with these kind of issues. Also I was thinking of getting tested for a bacterial infection at the same time because I am worried about that - I have a few symptoms. Should I mention that first and say, when she asks me what the problem is "I think I may have a vaginal infection" just to start off then when I have chatted about that for a bit then mention the skin tags?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ps. Is it ok do you think to discuss a potential infection at the same appointment as the skin flaps? I mean they are kind of related and she would need to do a pelvic exam for both anyway?

Your GP won't feel embarrassed or put out by you having a gynaecological problem. Trust me they really have seen it all before. If you are worried you could start by saying this is a bit embarrassing or something similar as that will highlight to her that this is something that you are finding uncomfortable and she might be able to ask more direct questions to make things easier for you. If it was me I would probably say something along the lines of I have noticed some growth of skin around the entrance to my vagina and I am worried that it could be caused by an infection (also mention any other infective symptoms). Worth mentioning the concern about infection as she might want to take a swab :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest