The Student Room Group

Any guys identify as feminists on here?

I only made an account on here a few days ago and I'm a bit shocked at how some guys just seem so sexist. It seems so subtle and common on here, sometimes not so subtle with one forum I read being called something like "what is wrong with girls". It's actually kind of upset me a bit, I had more faith in our generation.

Scroll to see replies

I'm a feminist, yes.

I think women are capable of more than aping male behaviours, so i don't support the modern feminist movement, which basically reduces women to second rate testosterone wannabes.

True feminists think women have their own path to take.
Reply 2
TSR is not a reliable source for anything other than study materials. Don't try to derive public opinion from here, the forum outside of the study areas is made up of roughly 50% trolls.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a feminist but I don't support radical feminism, double standards, misandry or the common belief that all men must now be punished and branded as woman-hating rapists in the making for the wrongs of their fathers and forefathers.

I also believe that popular culture encourages misandry and misogyny simultaneously-but most importantly glamourises superficial materialist outlooks on relationships at the pinnacle of society as a whole, moulding some impressionable young people. I largely blame the decline of religion and the family unit in the West for this; money is the new god, money and power. (Of course to some extent power via money was always the god of the masses…anyway)

I could go off on one about liberalism which is intimately linked to feminism but in practice would rather not be in a more feudal era...

Although marriage is primarily a flawed misogynist concept of acquiring property at heart, underneath the spiritual facade, I do think that its decline has given plenty of opportunity for forms of hypergamy in LTRs (which is a thing, but not because women are evil, because security). Many men are displaced by this, and combined with the media age, facing less realistic expectations form women than ever before...

Finally I believe gender is largely a social construct, but not entirely, which is why as a whole straight women prefer relatively masculine men and vice versa. Yet ironically the late 20th to 21st century has brought in an Information Age which created a sharp decline in the male-dominated industries e.g. building, and left men feeling further disillusioned and confused…

Many men complain that feminism has 'emasculated' men, rather I think it has brought out the inner child in them, and led to a regression from maturity, perhaps out of fear of the realities.

Of course I just like to project, why would you trust me?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not a feminist; I'm a gender equalist.
I find the number of extremely misogynistic threads on here that seem to be appearing everyday pretty sad. I'd advise you to take no notice of them, I don't doubt that many of these boys have little experience with women, much less the wider world.
Before feminism:

After feminism:

Original post by KingStannis

Just briefly, what exactly do you believe the genders should be equal in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
No, but I am an egalitarian.
Original post by Abstraction
Just briefly, what exactly do you believe the genders should be equal in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In opportunity for any and all employment sector which they do not have physical limits to doing.
Reply 10

That is literally what a feminist is.
Reply 11
Original post by capitalismstinks
Before feminism:

After feminism:

You do realise feminism started in like the early 1900s? Or possibly even before that? What a moron you are
In opportunity for any and all employment sector which they do not have physical limits to doing.

I don't see how they do not have this already in the West.
The pictures are a symbolic representation of how feminism has degraded women.
Original post by CJKay
TSR is not a reliable source for anything other than study materials. Don't try to derive public opinion on here, the forum outside of the study areas is made up of roughly 50% trolls.

Never ceases to amuse me how those with opinions radically opposed to the current dogmas are immediately labelled trolls. So you want an echo chamber where everyone is a yes-man saying they love feminism and women?
Reply 15
Original post by capitalismstinks
The pictures are a symbolic representation of how feminism has degraded women.

No it hasn't at all. How can wanting gender equality degrade you?
Original post by kiki37

That's not what my universities feminist society were doing when they held a women's only event.
Reply 17
Original post by Abstraction
Never ceases to amuse me how those with opinions radically opposed to the current dogmas are immediately labelled trolls. So you want an echo chamber where everyone is a yes-man saying they love feminism and women?

I'm not even a feminist.

Anything else you'd like to say?
(edited 9 years ago)
I call myself a pro-feminist rather than a feminist. Partly because of the whole "feminism is a women's movement" thing, but also because I don't really do any feminist-related activism or suchlike.
Original post by kiki37

No it isn't. You can believe in equality without accepting feminist theory. You can't be a feminist without accepting some form of feminist theory.

Feminism is more sensibly defined as "a set of theories and actions pertaining to the attempt to gain gender equality for women".

This definition takes into account the actual beliefs feminism holds.

The definition "feminism is the gender equality between men and women" is an abstract definition which may or may not hold for feminist activities and beliefs. I am of the opinion that, as a matter of fact, feminist academia and organisations posit statements which are not true, and actions which are not equitable. If I accept your definition, I am left with the argument that "feminism (as it is in reality) is not feminism (as it is by definition)". However, this is ridiculous. There is no point accepting a definition of something which does not accurately reflect the object of reference.

Quick Reply

Latest