The Student Room Group

What subject?

I'm interested in learning about ancient ruins and temples etc. What A-Level subject (if any) would cover this? Archaeology perhaps?
Reply 1
Classics probably. My sister is taking it and she's learning all about ancient Greece and Rome. She also has to read things like the Iliad though, so it seems kind of like a mix of literature, ancient politics and ancient history.
Reply 2
Original post by chira07
Classics probably. My sister is taking it and she's learning all about ancient Greece and Rome. She also has to read things like the Iliad though, so it seems kind of like a mix of literature, ancient politics and ancient history.

Thanks. And maybe.
Do you think Archaeology would cover it too?
Reply 3
Original post by _jarv_
Thanks. And maybe.
Do you think Archaeology would cover it too?

oooh, I just looked it up and apparently there is an archaeology A-level. It looks really fun; I've copied the description from the AQA website below:

"Archaeology – the study of past human societies from the investigation of material remains – is one of the most exciting subjects in the curriculum. It is the ultimate subject for an 'all-round' student, in that it combines elements of many other academic disciplines, such as Science, Art, Technology, Geography, History, Sociology and Religious Studies."

Sound like it would definitely include ancient ruins and temples, so go for that if your college offers it :smile:
Reply 4
Depends what topics your school picks, I'm doing Classics atm and we're doing ancient ruins and temples
Wish I had an interest in it too bc i HATE IT!!!!! The lit side is so much better omg
Classics is fab, its the literature linked to the mythology at my school, it sounds that archaeology would suit your needs best or both? They are wonderful subjects, they are truly intellectual in a way stem subjects can never be.
Reply 6
Well... There's the Classics A-Level, which basically allows you to take anything from the OCR Classics specification (ie Latin/Classical Civilisation/Ancient History etc in one A-Level), and there's the Classical Civilisation A-Level, which follows a specific path, like Archaeology and Literature.

The difference is that in the former you're completely free to choose whichever modules you like, which is amazing! I personally took the Classics A-Level with Classical Greek Language & Latin Language at AS and Classical Greek Prose & Latin Prose at A2 (I'd strongly advise you not to do anything similar thought. It was enjoyable but extremely intensive!).

So if you'd like a mix of everything, perhaps a module from Ancient History and a literature module from Classical Civilisation, then the Classics A-Level is a perfect match.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest