The Student Room Group

Why are my A-Level grades so much better than my GCSE grades?

Why are my A-Level grades so much better than my GCSE grades? Everyone says that A-Levels are so much harder than GCSEs, but here is what I got:

My A-Level grades:
A Psychology
A Sociology
B Media Studies

(AS-Level General Studies grade C)

My GCSE grades:
A* Sociology
A Psychology
B Drama And Theatre Arts
B Law
B Science (Single Award)
B Citizenship Studies (Short Course)
C English
C English Literature
C Geography (IGCSE)
C History (IGCSE)
C Mathematics
C D & T: Food Technology
E German

Scroll to see replies

Only you can answer that
Original post by _jarv_
Why are my A-Level grades so much better than my GCSE grades? Everyone says that A-Levels are so much harder than GCSEs, but here is what I got:

My A-Level grades:
A Psychology
A Sociology
B Media Studies

My GCSE grades:
A* Sociology
A Psychology
B Drama And Theatre Arts
B Law
B Science (Single Award)
C English
C English Literature
C Geography (IGCSE)
C History (IGCSE)
C Mathematics
E German

That's nothing bro, look at mine;
GCSE: AAAABBCCCD
GCE A level: A*A*Ab
Another guy;
GCSE: AABBBBCC (maybe 5 Bs)
GCE A level: A*AAb
Reply 3
Original post by unfathomableuser
Only you can answer that

Well you might be right but I still have no idea why. What would be the possible reasons?
Original post by _jarv_
Well you might be right but I still have no idea why. What would be the possible reasons?

You studied easy subjects at GCE A level. You probably wouldn't have got those grades if you did all facilitating subjects (Sciences, Maths, History, Philosophy, English Literature, Economics and Foreign Languages). I'm not sure if Economics is a facilitating subject but it is as hard as one.
(edited 9 years ago)
My A Levels are gonna be better than my GCSEs too. For me, it's because I've actually started to take my education seriously, I now realise what grades I need for university, and I've actually started to revise.
Original post by _jarv_

My A-Level grades:
A Psychology
A Sociology
B Media Studies

My GCSE grades:
A* Sociology
A Psychology
B Drama And Theatre Arts
B Law
B Science (Single Award)
C English
C English Literature
C Geography (IGCSE)
C History (IGCSE)
C Mathematics
E German

That is a good improvement seeing as A levels are harder. Anyway from your specific A level subjects you had fantastic grades for them at GCSE and maybe that is the reason for those A level grades? just guessing.
Original post by anonwinner
My A Levels are gonna be better than my GCSEs too. For me, it's because I've actually started to take my education seriously, I now realise what grades I need for university, and I've actually started to revise.

There's actually many cases of people performing better at GCE A level than at GCSE and I witnessed a lot of them at college. Some didn't even put much effort because they were doing easy subjects.
Original post by _jarv_

I don't see why you think your GCE A levels are more impressive than your GCSE. They both look equally impressive in my opinion.
Reply 9
Original post by Raymat
I don't see why you think your GCE A levels are more impressive than your GCSE. They both look equally impressive in my opinion.

Really? But all those C's...
Original post by _jarv_
Really? But all those C's...

But that A* and A for GCSE. You don't even have an A* for your GCE A levels so how does it look 'better'? Also the C for General Studies.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, you did worse.

In the subjects you took at A Level you got AAB, but in those same/equivalent subjects at GCSE you got A*AB, so you could argue that your results went down
are you complaining?
Reply 13
Original post by midgemeister7
No, you did worse.

In the subjects you took at A Level you got AAB, but in those same/equivalent subjects at GCSE you got A*AB, so you could argue that your results went down

Just out of interest what did you count as the 'equivalent' subject to media? As I didn't do media at GCSE
Reply 14
Oh and A* at A-Level didn't exist when I did them
Original post by _jarv_
Just out of interest what did you count as the 'equivalent' subject to media? As I didn't do media at GCSE

I counted Theatre Studies as equivalent, even though they are different of course but similar in a vocational sense
Original post by Raymat
There's actually many cases of people performing better at GCE A level than at GCSE and I witnessed a lot of them at college. Some didn't even put much effort because they were doing easy subjects.

I'm doing Maths, History, Business Studies (so one easy subject). Hoping to get an A* in maths whereas I only got an A in GCSE
Original post by anonwinner
I'm doing Maths, History, Business Studies (so one easy subject). Hoping to get an A* in maths whereas I only got an A in GCSE

It was the same thing for me but for Maths.
Reply 18
A* didn't exist when I did my A-Levels. What makes an A*? 90%?
Original post by _jarv_
A* didn't exist when I did my A-Levels. What makes an A*? 90%?
Usually a 90% average at A2 modules as well as an 80% average over AS and A2

Quick Reply

Latest