The Student Room Group

Why people care so much what university you studied at?

I don't get why its so important.

Basically surely its much more important what you were studying when u actually went there and what grades you got when you were there.

So a FIRST in Maths at Birmingham should be worth more than a THIRD in Chinese Studies from Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

I agree!
Modern status anxiety phenomenon, accentuated by low status and insecure young adults such as students

TSR also naturally attracts students invested in their grades/career anyway, it is first and foremost a study platform and database
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by !BOSS

Basically surely its much more important what you were studying when u actually went there and what grades you got when you were there.

So a FIRST in Maths at Birmingham should be worth more than a THIRD in Chinese Studies from Cambridge?

1. In thay scenario, the 1st would be better anyway
2. It is generally a good indicator of what kind of student you are eg Oxbridge = hard-working, motivated (usually), whereas London Met will indicat you aren't as good a student
Reply 4
Original post by !BOSS

Its weird...I think its because where you go to university becomes part of your identity in a way.
Would it be OK to study Law at London Met?
A first from Cambridge in Maths is always far superior to a first from Birmingham in Maths. Lets get that out of the way first.

Cambridge tend to have better students, even enrolled onto their worst courses, the types of students who get into investment banking/consultancy with like a Chinese Studies degree.
Original post by !BOSS

Chinese studies is a bad example as Mandarin may become more and more useful in the business world. A third from anywhere really isn't great. But say you studied History at Man Met and got a 1st, that's probably not as good as a 2:1 from Cambridge in English.
Also if you compare the level of difficulty and depth of subject covered from a Russel group and from one at the bottom of the tables, the Russel group one will be more in depth and thus worth more.
Reply 8
Original post by Raymat

Lmao. I just met you, and this is crazy, but London Met are u ****ing having a giggle m8
Original post by !BOSS

You're so mis-informed. The grade you get DOES matter, which is why many Graduate schemes have 2.1 as minimum requirement. And depending on what you want to do the subject may or may not matter, for a highly quantitative role obviously the Maths degree would fair better.
Original post by Raymat

I wouldn't recommend it for employment purposes if you want to get a high quality job in law. You'd be much better off going somewhere like Manchester Uni if you can.
Original post by jakeel1
Lmao. I just met you, and this is crazy, but London Met are u ****ing having a giggle m8

I'm technically helping the OP answer their own question on why people care about what university they go to. The answer is purely from common sense.
Reply 12
So if I got a first from CAMBRIDGE, I'm basically unstoppable?
Original post by !BOSS

Pretty much yes!!
Original post by !BOSS

Have you noticed that all CEOs and Prime Ministers have firsts from Cambridge?
They have that premium image and employers know want to Employ the best person possible which they assume will be from the "best" university
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Modern status anxiety phenomenon, accentuated by low status and insecure young adults such as students

TSR also naturally attracts students invested in their grades/career anyway, it is first and foremost a study platform and database

To be fair, for many of the 'best' graduate jobs it does matter where you went to university.
Original post by jakeel1

nearly choked on my hot chocolate :giggle::giggle:
Original post by TurboCretin
To be fair, for many of the 'best' graduate jobs it does matter where you went to university.

"best" jobs?

Do you mean jobs that pay the most?
Original post by TheWaffle
I wouldn't recommend it for employment purposes if you want to get a high quality job in law. You'd be much better off going somewhere like Manchester Uni if you can.

That was a rhetorical question. Not too hard to notice.

Quick Reply

Latest