The Student Room Group

I don't understand what he meant?!

Me and a guy have been great friends for the past 7years, one night he tells me to sit down because he wants to tell me something important, and he says about how much he likes me, and tells me he loves me, then rambles on about how he doesn't deserve me. THEN HE LEAVES TO GO TO THE BATHROOM AND NEVER RETURNS LEAVING ME SITTING OUTSIDE ON MY OWN?! I get a message from him the next day saying "we cool?" And then he didn't reply to my reply.

Im so confused about the whole thing, what's wrong with him? We have just been acting like normal since, but it's killing me inside. Any thoughts/interpretations would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
would you just ask him? what the hell do we know?
Reply 2
Original post by catsis
would you just ask him? what the hell do we know?

I'm going to mention it to him but I'm afraid it'll ruin our friendship, just wanted some oppinions so I can mentally prepare myself for the response :P
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to mention it to him but I'm afraid it'll ruin our friendship, just wanted some oppinions so I can mentally prepare myself for the response :P

ah, fair. I don't think it will ruin the friendship. It shouldn't, in fact. That was bizarre for sure, he might have gotten a bit nervous after pouring his heart out.

Are you interested in him?
Reply 4
Original post by catsis
ah, fair. I don't think it will ruin the friendship. It shouldn't, in fact. That was bizarre for sure, he might have gotten a bit nervous after pouring his heart out.

Are you interested in him?

See that's the thing, I've really liked him for a few years, and when he started telling me all that I was really happy, but he didn't even give me a chance to reply when he stormed off! I would still rather have him in my life as a friend instead of things becoming really awkward between us. This happened at the end of January, I think I might have left it too long.
Reply 5
See that's the thing, I've really liked him for a few years, and when he started telling me all that I was really happy, but he didn't even give me a chance to reply when he stormed off! I would still rather have him in my life as a friend instead of things becoming really awkward between us. This happened at the end of January, I think I might have left it too long.

I don't think you left it too long. I'm kind of in a similar situation with a friend of mine so I get it. Personally, I would just go talk to him and talk things out. Have you seen him in person since that day?
Reply 6
Original post by catsis
I don't think you left it too long. I'm kind of in a similar situation with a friend of mine so I get it. Personally, I would just go talk to him and talk things out. Have you seen him in person since that day?

Have you talked about it with your friend?
Yes I've seen him dozens of times since, but never alone, we have the same friendship group. I was asked on a date by someone else a few days ago and the whole friendship group were discussing it, he didn't join in the conversation and sat there looking down, the only time he looked up was when I said that I told the guy no. So I think he does like me but I honestly don't know why he's being so weird about it.
Reply 7
Have you talked about it with your friend?
Yes I've seen him dozens of times since, but never alone, we have the same friendship group. I was asked on a date by someone else a few days ago and the whole friendship group were discussing it, he didn't join in the conversation and sat there looking down, the only time he looked up was when I said that I told the guy no. So I think he does like me but I honestly don't know why he's being so weird about it.

Aww bless him! I can't talk to my friend about it. We're very traditional people so I have to wait for him...
Reply 8
Original post by catsis
Aww bless him! I can't talk to my friend about it. We're very traditional people so I have to wait for him...

How about if I mention it to mine, you mention it to yours? :P
Reply 9
How about if I mention it to mine, you mention it to yours? :P

Do you mind? lol :tongue: Mine knows I had a crush on him in college. A few weeks ago he asked to visit me in uni and asked if I liked him and I stupidly said no. And I didn't realise it could be a sign until I told my best friend about it last week so... I need more help than you lol
Original post by catsis
Do you mind? lol :tongue: Mine knows I had a crush on him in college. A few weeks ago he asked to visit me in uni and asked if I liked him and I stupidly said no. And I didn't realise it could be a sign until I told my best friend about it last week so... I need more help than you lol

Right here's what we're going to do, I'll go ask my man what he meant. And you go ask your man if he likes you, if he says yes you're sorted! I bet I'll chicken out though :P
Reply 11
Right here's what we're going to do, I'll go ask my man what he meant. And you go ask your man if he likes you, if he says yes you're sorted! I bet I'll chicken out though :P

Haha. I would rather end up alone than asking him if he likes me. I love him too much to risk it. But good luck with yours!
If I was able to blurt out feelings for someone I'd feel awkward as hell and so maybe that's what he was thinking when he stormed off. Maybe he's just not great at understanding and explaining his feelings and so now he's unsure if he explained himself or he is doubting the action itself.

Be direct, this guy sounds like he's done what he can; now it's your turn perhaps? :smile:
Original post by Ki Yung Na
If I was able to blurt out feelings for someone I'd feel awkward as hell and so maybe that's what he was thinking when he stormed off. Maybe he's just not great at understanding and explaining his feelings and so now he's unsure if he explained himself or he is doubting the action itself.

Be direct, this guy sounds like he's done what he can; now it's your turn perhaps? :smile:

Thank you for the response! Yes I guess you're right, I don't think I could have done it. The bit I don't understand is when he started saying about how he didn't deserve me, and how I deserve much better than him. It nearly sounded as if he didn't want anything? I think I will mention it to him when I next see him :smile:
Original post by catsis
Haha. I would rather end up alone than asking him if he likes me. I love him too much to risk it. But good luck with yours!

I feel the same, ahwell, why is everything so complicated!
Reply 15
well he is into you the lad just doesn't know how to come about it #Cute
Original post by Lexy25
well he is into you the lad just doesn't know how to come about it #Cute

Do you think it'll be a good idea to bring it up to him? I hope he does!
Reply 17
I would say see how the next time goes with him and if he does not show any sign of anything, then casually bring it up into the conversation and see how things go from there. :wink:
Thank you for the response! Yes I guess you're right, I don't think I could have done it. The bit I don't understand is when he started saying about how he didn't deserve me, and how I deserve much better than him. It nearly sounded as if he didn't want anything? I think I will mention it to him when I next see him :smile:

No worries. I think its safe to say that it is something really personal to him and only he knows what he meant by saying that and so just ask him about it. Maybe it was his way of saying, don't feel like you HAVE to do something hence the "we cool?" text afterwards.
Like you he doesn't want it to be awkward and if it was he may have used it as if it was like a disclaimer in some really weird kind of way - he probably didn't realise it himself; just sort of said whatever the heck came in to his head.

*My own disclaimer; I maybe completely wrong. Take from this what you will. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lexy25
I would say see how the next time goes with him and if he does not show any sign of anything, then casually bring it up into the conversation and see how things go from there. :wink:

Okay thanks, I think I will! But I never get a chance to be alone with him anymore, don't really want to mention it infront of everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending