The Student Room Group

How long is too long?

How long is too long to wait when online dating before meeting the person?
There is no universal amount of time, everyone will have different boundaries and comfort zones.
Original post by SophieSmall
There is no universal amount of time, everyone will have different boundaries and comfort zones.

I see your point. I've been speaking to this person from a dating site. It's gone off site and we've communicated via calls and social media. It's approaching the 6 week mark. He's fairly busy so we've not met yet.
It's not become problematic yet. I'm just aware that a point might come where the chemistry dissipates because the time has passed.
Original post by keromedic
I see your point. I've been speaking to this person from a dating site. It's gone off site and we've communicated via calls and social media. It's approaching the 6 week mark. He's fairly busy so we've not met yet.
It's not become problematic yet. I'm just aware that a point might come where the chemistry dissipates because the time has passed.

Just try to arrange a date, see if he seems keen but just busy and try to work something out. If his reluctance is long term you may just have to move on.
Just try to arrange a date, see if he seems keen but just busy and try to work something out. If his reluctance is long term you may just have to move on.

I have tried to do this. He states he will get back to me and seems genuine.

It's the "long term" that I'm wondering about. I guess there's no precise times for these things. Le sigh.
I have tried to do this. He states he will get back to me and seems genuine.

It's the "long term" that I'm wondering about. I guess there's no precise times for these things. Le sigh.

I guess you just have to decide now how long you're willing to wait.
I guess you just have to decide now how long you're willing to wait.

At least you're not saying that the time I've given is obviously worrisome.
(edited 9 years ago)
At least you're not saying that the time I've given isn't obviously worrisome.

Nope. Everyone's situation is different, so I don't see a one size fits all time frame.
Reply 8
My interest will be liable to wane after more than a week or two without some form of escalation.
There's not much you can do but wait and see if he gets back to you on that. You should keep your options open for the time being incase he does end up being a time waster.

Anyways to answer your question there's no set time. I've met people online and seen them in person months or years later (these were not love interests mostly). Me and the last guy I met online met within a few weeks, I wanted to hold off for a while cos I thought it was too soon, but decided to go in the end. I think it's better to get things over with so it's not dragging on for ages, at least you can see if there's an attraction early on. I know you are worried about there not being chemistry over time, but if you've never met and it fades out then no big deal. It may be that it wasn't there anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Cheeky! 12-14 incs of course.
Totally didn't press anonymous for that one but okay...
How long is too long to wait when online dating before meeting the person?

TL;DR How long is too long? About twelve inches. After that, it's uncomfortable. Starts bumping into your cervix.
If you've met on a dating site/app then I'd imagine a few weeks, maybe after 2-3 weeks of talking you'd meet up normally? But as said above, everyone is different. Personally I wouldn't want to wait long because the longer you talk the more you build up an image of this person. But things could be different irl and you might not get along so well/be attracted - in which case you've wasted a lot of time.

Quick Reply

Latest