The Student Room Group

Railcard help!

I just booked return train tickets using Trainline and, when checking to see the difference in price, I ended up accidentally buying Railcard holder tickets instead of normal ones (I don't own a railcard)!

Does anyone know what happens if I get on the train without a railcard - am I charged the excess or will I be charged the full ticket price? I'm a bit worried I will be charged loads! I don't want to pay £30 for a railcard that will only be used this one time, when I could just be paying a tenner difference.
I'd guess you'd have to pay the excess but maybe you should ring up the train provider and ask them. Depending on what train you are on you might not have to show the railcard though anyway and so it might not be an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will be charged the full ticket price.

If you ask at the ticket office you may be able to pay the excess and get a new ticket.
Original post by cmcquade94
I just booked return train tickets using Trainline and, when checking to see the difference in price, I ended up accidentally buying Railcard holder tickets instead of normal ones (I don't own a railcard)!

Does anyone know what happens if I get on the train without a railcard - am I charged the excess or will I be charged the full ticket price? I'm a bit worried I will be charged loads! I don't want to pay £30 for a railcard that will only be used this one time, when I could just be paying a tenner difference.

Go to a ticket office and see if you can pay the excess to upgrade it to a normal ticket, it won't be valid if you get on the train without being able to show the appropriate railcard together with the tickets.

Alternatively, consider getting a railcard - they're worth it unless you hardly ever use the railways (spending less than £90 a year on tickets).
You would most likely have to buy a new ticket at full price if you were caught on the train without one unless the inspector was in a really good mood. Probably best to spend £30 and get the railcard though. I bought mine a few months ago and broke even on my first journey. And I'm at least £50 better off from it now after less than six months.

Quick Reply