The Student Room Group

Do you ever pretend to be "skint" just to fit in?

Just wondering if other people find themselves doing this.

My housemates always talk about how broke they are and how much they worry about money. I'm by no means "wealthy", but I've never really struggled for money.

Whenever they mention money, I find myself doing the whole "Yeah, I'm so skint this month..." routine too, even though it's untrue.

Do you think it's become "cool" to be skint? Something that students bond over?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Just wondering if other people find themselves doing this.

My housemates always talk about how broke they are and how much they worry about money. I'm by no means "wealthy", but I've never really struggled for money.

Whenever they mention money, I find myself doing the whole "Yeah, I'm so skint this month..." routine too, even though it's untrue.

Do you think it's become "cool" to be skint? Something that students bond over?

Not at all. Personally, I'd not lie about my finance nor would I flaunt it.
Reply 2
I think some people complain regularly about being skint because they think it makes them look more like a "real student" - some of the people who did this to me weren't actually skint, they had jobs, contributing parents, or a decent amount of loan/overdraft left, and it came across as though they wanted to hide the fact that they had money so they could "fit in" (which made no sense in a lot of settings because the rest of the group had similar financial situations!)
Other people I know complained of being skint because they wanted money, it was an excuse not to do something, or because they were actually skint. The latter group were the ones who were irresponsible with money, with only one exception.
I've never said it to fit in, but I have asked to different social activities with people because I "can't afford it", when I actually can...but I'd have to forego something I'd planned to do, and would rather do, instead.

I don't see the point in pretending, to be honest. It just seems childish.
I wish I were pretending.
I always used to kek at the students who would go "oh no, I've only got £4 left to get me through to the end of the month".. brb £30pcm iphone contract.
If this is Juliet's house then she is even freakier than we thought? Who pretends to be poor? (c) Blair Waldorf

Wait a second, I'm not sure what is supposed to happen right now, if she is really in there, what is the plan what are we going to do just march up to her and pull her hair.

For starters (c) Blair Waldorf

Cue "Just a Dream" - Nelly

And then cue me :smug:

thumbs up if you cri evry tiem <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending