The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by capitalismstinks
I'll answer the first question myself. No, I'm not a Nazi.

do you consider yourself to have "desirable genetics" ?
So how exactly do you wish you could re-engineer the human race?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by plasmaman
do you consider yourself to have "desirable genetics" ?

Yes. But if I am ever convicted of a serious violent crime then the answer would be no.

If i ever start defrauding people out of their pensions or life savings then the answer would also be no.

In other words, if it turns out I am a psychopath, then the answer would be no.
Can I hug you?? (I'm not gay though..)

I also believe in eugenics and consider myself to have desirable genetic traits, however everything I post on TSR gets censored so I would never get a chance to say this.
What do you constitute as a better society ? I would like to live in one where people didn't kill other people
Original post by Abstraction
So how exactly do you wish you could re-engineer the human race?

Posted from TSR Mobile

People reingineer animal stocks. It's common practice. You can breed certain character traits quite easily.

In Russia they did an experiment on foxes. They took the most aggressive and most passive fox cubs and bred them accordingly. Every time a new litter of foxes was born they took the most aggressive, and the most passive, and bred them. Eventually the foxes became completely different in personality. The passive foxes loved humans, licking their faces, and the aggressive ones literally attacked the cages whenever a human was near.

You can view the experiment here. It was featured on the BBC horizon programme 'the secret life of the dog':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pssgh

If you can't view the programme there is a wiki entry about the experiment here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_silver_fox

This is the essence of eugenics. Creating desireable traits that advance humanity.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sunnydespair
What do you constitute as a better society ? I would like to live in one where people didn't kill other people

Yes. This is the first goal of a better society. To eradicate those who commit gratuitous violence. Eugenics would not necessarily have to execute those convicted of violent crimes, but it would have to sterilise them and without exception.
Apologies for bursting your bubble, but those who are desirable are simply those who have babby without support from the state. We all commit a personal eugenics whenever we choose who to associate with and who to mate with. Both men and women will select partners based on their appearance and status for a reason: survival of the fittest. There is no need to "eradicate" anyone by force, merely cancel their welfare funds and wait 40 years.

I guess the tl;dr is I agree with eugenics too, but that we already live in one, simply weakened by a welfare state.
People reingineer animal stocks. It's common practice. You can breed certain character traits quite easily.

In Russia they did an experiment on foxes. They took the most aggressive and most passive fox cubs and bred them accordingly. Every time a new litter of foxes was born they took the most aggressive, and the most passive, and bred them. Eventually the foxes became completely different in personality. The passive foxes loved humans, licking their faces, and the aggressive ones literally attacked the cages whenever a human was near.

You our view the experiment here. It was featured on the BBC horizon programme 'the secret life of the dog':

http://www.smh.com.au/tv/Animals/The-Secret-Life-of-the-Dog-4320351.html

This is the essence of eugenics. Creating desireable traits.

Right, and I guess you plan to use an all-powerful state to control exactly who breeds with who? And then keep a constant watch on every child born, so as to make sure they are exposed to the right stimuli and learning in order to fit the mould you deem fit?

Humans are a lot more complex than foxes. Assuming you could even form an idea of a perfect human, it seems incredibly difficult to see how you could engineer most humans to fit that idea, and keep them that way forever. There is also no guarantee of a better society - you can't eliminate the very natural conflict of interest between all humans, like in the desires for wealth, power, status, sexual mates etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
how does your belief in eugenics relate to your thoughts on sexuality? are you against homosexuality etc
Original post by Abstraction
Right, and I guess you plan to use an all-powerful state to control exactly who breeds with who? And then keep a constant watch on every child born, so as to make sure they are exposed to the right stimuli and learning in order to fit the mould you deem fit?

Humans are a lot more complex than foxes. Assuming you could even form an idea of a perfect human, it seems incredibly difficult to see how you could engineer most humans to fit that idea, and keep them that way forever. There is also no guarantee of a better society - you can't eliminate the very natural conflict of interest between all humans, like in the desires for wealth, power, status, sexual mates etc.

We have an all powerful state in place at the moment. All it would would have to do to eventually breed out violent behaviour is sterilise those convicted of serious violent crimes.

As as as other kinds of psychopaths who crave power, status etc. Science shows psychopaths are born, not bred. Psychopaths, violent and non-violent, would also be sterilised.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zachary T-H
how does your belief in eugenics relate to your thoughts on sexuality? are you against homosexuality etc

Eugenics is about the advancement of humanity. Homosexuals are not blocking the advancement of humanity. Alan Turing has been in the news recently, this guy advanced humanities progress tremendously.
in on Friday night t l guy debate while mods are in bed

do you believe that people with inferior genetics should be removed from the gene pool by force, OP?
(edited 9 years ago)
Eugenics is about the advancement of humanity. Homosexuals are not blocking the advancement of humanity. Alan Turing has been in the news recently, this guy advanced humanities progress tremendously.

I know what eugenics is :tongue: I wanted to see the type of eugenics you believe in. evidently it isn't the 19th century Eugenics of De Gobbienau which ordered the races in terms of their genetic strengths- these types of Eugenics were used both as a justification for European imperialism and were the basis of racial antisemitism which Hitler used as a justification for the Holocaust. My question was to test the water, I wanted to asses whether you were an extremist or were actually basing your belief on true genetics. I'm glad to see that it is the latter.
Original post by Zachary T-H
I know what eugenics is :tongue: I wanted to see the type of eugenics you believe in. evidently it isn't the 19th century Eugenics of De Gobbienau which ordered the races in terms of their genetic strengths- these types of Eugenics were used both as a justification for European imperialism and were the basis of racial antisemitism which Hitler used as a justification for the Holocaust. My question was to test the water, I wanted to asses whether you were an extremist or were actually basing your belief on true genetics. I'm glad to see that it is the latter.

No problem. It's a touchy subject eugenics. I think it's about time we started reclaiming it from the nazi era. It's too important to let that legacy define it.
(edited 9 years ago)
No problem. It's a touchy subject eugenics. I think it's about time we started reclaiming it from the nazi era. It's too important to let that legacy define it.

It has defined it, It is almost seen as a pseudo science. I can understand elements of eugenics but I think selective breeding is something we have to think about very carefully, removing genetic variation from the gene pool could be fraught with danger.
I support eugenics too OP.

Do you agree with me that eugenics is actually compatible with a modern, liberal society and can be accomplished over several generations via genetic engineering, designer babies (valuable traits like intelligence increased, not blond hair), selective breeding and using financial incentives to encourage certain people not to breed.
I have never heard anything so DISGRACEFL in all me life.
I think in the long term eugenics would benefit the human race, however it cannot be done without severely impeding on other's rights in the short term.

I don't think it is possible to be done ethically.

Latest