The Student Room Group

Am I autistic? AMA

I just did an online test for autism and scored highly. Do I need to goto a doctor to see if I'm autistic? Or is that stupid considering its just an online test?
Original post by Paladian
I just did an online test for autism and scored highly. Do I need to goto a doctor to see if I'm autistic? Or is that stupid considering its just an online test?

One thing to consider is that "autism" isn't a black and white, it's-there-or-it-isn't condition, so even if you are "officially" autistic, there is a great deal of variance across the breadth of the "autism spectrum". Personally I think that in the West, we diagnose far too many people as autistic when really they are quite comfortably within the realms of "normality", and in doing so artificially hold back these people by planting the idea in their head that they're somehow mentally disabled.
Reply 2
Original post by UpInTheMorning
One thing to consider is that "autism" isn't a black and white, it's-there-or-it-isn't condition, so even if you are "officially" autistic, there is a great deal of variance across the breadth of the "autism spectrum". Personally I think that in the West, we diagnose far too many people as autistic when really they are quite comfortably within the realms of "normality", and in doing so artificially hold back these people by planting the idea in their head that they're somehow mentally disabled.

Yeah I suppose so, I just don't fit into the conventional social 'norm' as it were.
Yeah I suppose so, I just don't fit into the conventional social 'norm' as it were.

Well tbh I'm saying that you probably do, even if some overzealous clinician might have you believe you're autistic.

Perhaps, you have a high functioning autism.
Reply 5
Original post by perspiracious
Perhaps, you have a high functioning autism.

What's that?
Reply 6
Original post by UpInTheMorning
Well tbh I'm saying that you probably do, even if some overzealous clinician might have you believe you're autistic.

I do what - Fit into the social norm?
I do what - Fit into the social norm?

Yes.
What's that?

Aspergers

What's that?

Asperger's.
Reply 9
Original post by keromedic
Yes.

Do autistic people fit into the social norm?
Reply 10
Aspergers

Asperger's.

You's a funny man. :biggrin:
Aspergers

Asperger's.

High functioning Autism and Aspergers aren't the same thing.

Online tests mean very little.

Quick Reply

Latest