The Student Room Group

Which uni for PPE? Work experience?

So I really want to do PPE and I'm doing IB right now, and I was going to apply to LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham and Warwick but apparently LSE and UCL ask for level 7 Maths HL, and in Durham it is strongly recommended to do Maths HL, and KCL is weaker and asks for 35 points only, Warwick is good but I expected to go to London... As for Oxford, I might apply there instead of one of the above, and it doesn't mention HL, it just says that it is good to have History and Maths as your subject. The thing is, I've heard quite a lot about offering more places to those doing Maths HL. I do SL and I'm not intended to do HL, and I have 7 predicted and I also had the top score for Senior Maths Challenge in school, do you think it will give me any chances? I also do History HL (6 predicted) and Economics HL (7 predicted).
P.S. In UCL Maths HL is needed if you are dropping Philosophy after and not Economics, but that is what I wanted to do.

My other question is, do I have to do volunteering or have working experience? Do any of these really count for Oxbridge? Or LSE/UCL? Does it increase my chances? And what kind of work experience can I get if it's PPE degree?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
PPE at LSE/UCL is new. From what I have read, they are quite different : at UCL you have to choose between Philosophy/politics or politics/economics in the 2nd year, while at LSE it is literraly a "PPE" course. depends on your preferences
And of course work experience is a plus, but I would say that the way you integrate it in your PS is more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Soekblas
PPE at LSE/UCL is new. From what I have read, they are quite different : at UCL you have to choose between Philosophy/politics or politics/economics in the 2nd year, while at LSE it is literraly a "PPE" course. depends on your preferences
And of course work experience is a plus, but I would say that the way you integrate it in your PS is more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But what kind of work experience can I get for PPE? It has to be connected somehow but I only imagine something connected to Economics, not the two P's.
I'm also looking foward to apply to PPE and doing similar IB subjects, english, history and econ at hl and maths, spanish b and physics as sl. The issue I'm having is that it seems some unversities require math at Hl. I think I'll apply to Oxford, UCL, Exeter, Warwick and Durham
Original post by Thousandmiles
So I really want to do PPE and I'm doing IB right now, and I was going to apply to LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham and Warwick but apparently LSE and UCL ask for level 7 Maths HL, and in Durham it is strongly recommended to do Maths HL, and KCL is weaker and asks for 35 points only, Warwick is good but I expected to go to London... As for Oxford, I might apply there instead of one of the above, and it doesn't mention HL, it just says that it is good to have History and Maths as your subject. The thing is, I've heard quite a lot about offering more places to those doing Maths HL. I do SL and I'm not intended to do HL, and I have 7 predicted and I also had the top score for Senior Maths Challenge in school, do you think it will give me any chances? I also do History HL (6 predicted) and Economics HL (7 predicted).
P.S. In UCL Maths HL is needed if you are dropping Philosophy after and not Economics, but that is what I wanted to do.

My other question is, do I have to do volunteering or have working experience? Do any of these really count for Oxbridge? Or LSE/UCL? Does it increase my chances? And what kind of work experience can I get if it's PPE degree?

Where was the first question?

Anyway, universities in the UK - especially oxbridge - care very little for work experience, absent it being something ridiculous, e.g. an internship at the UN, or the White House. It's generally a better use of time to become more academically competent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending