The Student Room Group

AS revision tips

I'm starting to revise for my AS exams in the summer. I wanted to know if anyone had any tips or helpful revision methods?
P.S. I'm studying Spanish, Business, Media & English Literature

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hii,

I recommend you look at the specification and start making notes in each topic of what you need to know. The revise it and practise past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jtrueman16
I'm starting to revise for my AS exams in the summer. I wanted to know if anyone had any tips or helpful revision methods?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm studying similar subjects: English Literature, Business, Geography and philosophy and Ethics, obviously it depends on your exam board but...
1) for EL, I'm doing mind maps for struggle for identity and revision cards with quotes
2) for business we get our case study for the exam next week so I will properly start then and I will do mind maps
3) my friend took Spanish and she is just doing loads of revision cards and past papers
4) Not sure about media!
also for each one ive gone through the exam specification!
Also, gather revision books for each subject and make notes from them:smile:
Hope I helped and good luck!!
[h="2"]1. Get mentally ready for revision Begin by getting yourself motivated. Play a song that you find motivating; move around; get you blood flowing; mentally commit to the revision session being useful.

2. Go Dark Don’t underestimate the time you can be wasting if you revise near a computer. Email, twitter, facebook and that YouTube video of a really cute cat.... all waste considerable time. Put your phone in the fridge and turn your laptop off!

3. Put time limits on your revision Psychology shows if you put time limits on your revision it will be more productive. As the time draws to an end you will have a boost of productivity. You will work to make sure every minute counts. Also consider what you are revising. If you dedicate an endless amount of time to revising one subject, you are more likely to work slowly.

4. The power of 48 minutes Your revision should be in 48 minute slots. Each slot should be broken up by a 12 min break. In your break be active, move around, get some fresh air. Make sure you time both your study slot and your break!

5. Don’t just focus on facts and figures - When people think about revision they tend to focus on memorising content. However successful A-level students also recognise the importance of developing and practising the skills that will be tested in the examination. It is really important that you spend time practising these skills. Past exam questions and their mark schemes are key tools in this.

6. Use feedback - Teachers will have given you feedback on assignments don’t dismiss this, use it as part of the revision process. Re-read their feedback. What tips can you be thinking about as you revise?

7. The power of talk Psychological studies have proven that the best way to commit ideas to your long term memory is to talk about them. Your revision should be verbal as well as written. As you learn a concept, explain it to someone out loud. You might be lucky enough to have a friend or parent who is willing to listen; if not just teach your gerbil or an imaginary friend. Trust us it works!

8. Sleep When you are revising your brain continues to process and embed learning as you sleep. Make sure you are making enough time for sleep and that you are relaxing for at least 1 hour 30 minutes before you go to bed.

9. Make revision a habit Make a timetable and share it with your parents so they can help you stick to it. Use the lift app to record your revision sessions and motivate you.

10. The advice you know already.... Yes we had to include the old skool classic.... make sure your revision is active, simply re-reading notes and textbooks will not work! Be creative, chunk your notes, breaking them down into short pieces of information. Make mind maps, posters, use post its and don’t be afraid to stick them all over your bedroom.
[/h]
***From http://www.alevelmindset.com/ ***
Original post by Jtrueman16

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only subject I can help with (sort of) is Spanish. Learn how to talk in different tenses- present, future, etc. Learn the important grammar sections - e.g. ser y estar, por y para, adverbs and adjectives. Make a list of vocab for the main topics e.g. el cine o la alimentación sana and learn this vocab. Practice writing the essay under times conditions - try and aim for 30 minutes. Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest