The Student Room Group

Madonna: Ageism is the same as racism and homophobia

This heifer thinks she can latch on to our struggle to show how bad she's got it as a rich white woman. She may be 56 but so what? It's not like people lynch or insult old people for being old.

Madonna is not going to stop performing and flashing her ass just because people say she's too old. In fact, in the new issue of Rolling Stone, Madonna, 56, said that the ageism she faces is as serious an issue as racism and homophobia.
"It's the last great frontier. We fought for the civil rights movement. We fought for gay rights," said Madonna

Scroll to see replies

she is trying to cloak her fear of mortality with these foolish pronouncements
Well, like sexism, homophobia and racism, it's discrimination based on something inherently unchangeable and what doesn't cause anyone any harm. People don't often insult people for being old, obviously, but they can mock those who are old and who don't 'act their age', like Madonna.

I do find her idea that it's the 'last great frontier' out of touch somewhat - sexism, homophobia, racism etc. obviously still affect a huge amount of people the world over and in more violent ways. But I do think, at least in this country for example, it's more politically correct to overtly show discomfort at someone who doesn't conform to typical age conventions (especially if you're a woman...) than it is to show discomfort at race, sexuality, gender... In regards to Madonna's fall at the Brits and the jokes of 'she's broken her hip'/ 'serves you right you old bag' and variations of the references to her age that it sparked, the same type of discrimination would not have happened to the extent it did sexuality, race or gender would it? Constraints to do with age are so engrained and accepted that people don't even notice that they're even constrained by them or mind that they are. I think this is what Madonna is getting at in this interview personally.
Reply 5
poor madonna.... maybe 20 year old models don't want her anymore

someone should tell her that.....
Original post by the bear
she is trying to cloak her fear of mortality with these foolish pronouncements

Icwhatudidthar
Aren't you the person who hates being black? Kind of hilarious that someone so insecure can also be so strongly opinionated.
as Ms Madonna enters early old age she will find increasingly large amounts of facial hair appearing. in fact the lower part of her face will soon look

Spoiler

:hat2:

:getmecoat:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by SiminaM
poor madonna.... maybe 20 year old models don't want her anymore

someone should tell her that.....

Ew the thought of that spindly old hag running her withered fingers over a teenage male... YUCK
Madonna is just in long line of white artists leeching and copying black talent, then records exec's putting it in a white package to make it more acceptable for a white auidence. Modern day examples : Jessie J, Adele, Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake, Iggy Azalea.

I could spend a long time on the issue of white musicians playing either “black” or “black influenced” music. In fact, there is a very good argument that, with the possible exception of Country & Western, virtually all popular music derives from black music.

After all, blues and jazz grew from the same musical root, and then begat rhythm & blues, which begat rock ‘n roll, which begat our entire system of popular music production and distribution.

She's also one of them white celebs that go to Africa to get a adopt black kid ? Why Madonna ? No black kids in the USA that need to adopting ? Or do you want to go and Africa and get a 'real' one ?

Madonna is dam near 60 years old but she has this thirst to be relevant. When her music first came on the radio in the early 1980s and no one knew what she looked like, people thought she was black, she sounded black and only black stations played her music.

That no one knew what she looked like at first was no accident. Her record company was trying to sell her music: putting a white face to black music would only make it harder. Madonna sang black music because that is what she grew up on. Once she had some success she began to appear on television. Then everyone knew. Another thing I noticed with these white artists who leech of black music is that when it comes to the serious issue of being black, their silence is deafening.

Sexism ? Or Homophobia ? Not to get into an oppression olympics, but sexism and homophobia is a different beast to racism. Does not matter what the system is racism cuts through it all. Sexism ? I don't know this for fact but I bet it's the white feminists on top and the black feminists on the bottom. The gay commiunity ? Again - I don't know this for a fact but I would bet it's the white gays on top and the black gays on the bottom.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kwamelondon2000
Madonna is just in long line of white artists leeching and copying black talent, then records exec's putting it in a white package to make it more acceptable for a white auidence. Modern day examples : Jessie J, Adele, Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake, Iggy Azalea.

I could spend a long time on the issue of white musicians playing either “black” or “black influenced” music. In fact, there is a very good argument that, with the possible exception of Country & Western, virtually all popular music derives from black music.

After all, blues and jazz grew from the same musical root, and then begat rhythm & blues, which begat rock ‘n roll, which begat our entire system of popular music production and distribution.

She's also one of them white celebs that go to Africa to get a adopt black kid ? Why Madonna ? No black kids in the USA that need to adopting ? Or do you want to go and Africa and get a 'real' one ?

Madonna is dam near 60 years old but she has this thirst to be relevant. When her music first came on the radio in the early 1980s and no one knew what she looked like, people thought she was black, she sounded black and only black stations played her music.

That no one knew what she looked like at first was no accident. Her record company was trying to sell her music: putting a white face to black music would only make it harder. Madonna sang black music because that is what she grew up on. Once she had some success she began to appear on television. Then everyone knew. Another thing I noticed with these white artists who leech of black music is that when it comes to the serious issue of being black, their silence is deafening.

Sexism ? Or Homophobia ? Not to get into an oppression olympics, but sexism and homophobia is a different beast to racism. Does not matter what the system is racism cuts through it all. Sexism ? I don't know this for fact but I bet it's the white feminists on top and the black feminists on the bottom. The gay commiunity ? Again - I don't know this for a fact but I would bet it's the white gays on top and the black gays on the bottom.

Kinda reminds me of fire squad by J Cole :tongue:

I also agree with you that she has a thirst to be relevant and this really annoys me. Also the fact she tries to ooze sex appeal is excruciatingly cringy.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Colonel Agansu
This heifer thinks she can latch on to our struggle to show how bad she's got it as a rich white woman. She may be 56 but so what? It's not like people lynch or insult old people for being old.

Madonna is not going to stop performing and flashing her ass just because people say she's too old. In fact, in the new issue of Rolling Stone, Madonna, 56, said that the ageism she faces is as serious an issue as racism and homophobia.
"It's the last great frontier. We fought for the civil rights movement. We fought for gay rights," said Madonna

what about height-ism:colone: this is quite bad as well.

Over exaggeration of the century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres

So virtually every single one of those derives from black music? Bull****.
Reply 14
Madonna, you ARE old. Which part of that you don't get?
Original post by DiddyDec
Over exaggeration of the century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres

So virtually every single one of those derives from black music? Bull****.

And who writes most of the pages on Wikipedia ? White people (Most likely white men) and do you really think a white man is going claim that most musical forms originate from black people ? Happen. Not. Gonna.

But you see wiki as neutral and unbiased but in truth it's just a white mans opinion, afterall I could open a wiki account and edit a page.
(edited 9 years ago)
And who writes Wikipedia ? White people (Most likely) and do you really think a white man is going claim that most musical forms originate from black people ? Happen. Not. Gonna.

But you see wiki as neutral and unbiased but in truth it's just a white mans opinion, afterall I could open a wiki account and edit a page.

Go for it. But you are still wrong. Music comes from around the world, not just Africa.

You are forgetting the huge influence that blues also had on country music.

Music derives from other genres and evolutions. Sure Rock n' Roll had its origins in Blues, but the artists took that influence from the blues and created something different, and from that a whole host of genres developed which on the surface don't have much resemblance to the Blues. Eleven years after the death of Buddy Holly we had Black Sabbath and the start of Heavy Metal. So long as a person doesn't directly plagiarise another's music I don't see anything wrong in being influenced and incorporating the styles of others in your music. If that didn't happen over the past few centuries we would all still be listening to either classical or traditional folk music.
i agree with her, you dont see many newspapers rave on about the age of many male celebrities, what makes her get this special treatment?
sure her plastic surgery is revolting and she does seem like she is having an eternal mid life crisis, but doesnt make it right putting her down because of her age.
Original post by kka25
Madonna, you ARE old. Which part of that you don't get?

she clearly does get it, since she's explicitly complaining about AGEISM.

Quick Reply

Latest