The Student Room Group

Boyfriend and good college grades...

It's proving a struggle to say the least. It's demotivating not doing well at my A2'S and it's really getting me down :frown: HELP?!
Have an honest conversation with him about it. Tell him that you really like him and love spending time with him but at the moment you need a little more time to spend on your studies. He should be understanding about it if he's a nice guy.
If you struggle to balance both, focus on the latter. I'm sure you'd rather be a financially and emotionally stable woman with guys running after you than being in the job centre every other week trying to find a guy who'll be willing to spend £4 on someone who still hasn't yet found their own two feet to stand on.
Reply 3
He's the only thing getting me through it though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Study with him then, or study at your place then call him during breaks
Reply 5
Original post by beth_2810

In this context I agree with, thecatwithnohat. I'd suggest you draw motivation from the future.
Reply 6
I used to draw motivation from my best friend for studying too, until I realised that she was the one pulling me down, though unintentionally. I had to separate from her during study time and be my own motivation. I can only recommend you to do the same. Don't rely on anyone else to get u motivated.
YOU should call the shots in your relationship if he can't see this problem. Tell him to meet u after u come back from the library.
Original post by beth_2810

It is possible to have a healthy relationship and do well at college, you just need to find the right balance. If you're behind with work, then sacrifice some time you spend with your boyfriend and study instead. I was quite lucky because my girlfriend actively encouraged me to study; maybe you can ask your boyfriend to provide similar support?
Reply 8
I'm worried about losing him though, I love him. And I know everyone probably says that they're madly in love at college but I actually am... Help! I need these grades and I'm trying to motivate myself but meh A2's are hard :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I say break up. Sorry to be blunt but don't ruin your future over someone you will most likely not end up with. You will look back and regret not being to get into the uni of your choice or whatever, just because you couldn't focus.
Don't have a boyfriend when you're a student. It's one of the biggest mistakes people do. Relationships wear you down as you tend to expect things from your partner but when he fails to do so you get disappointed. It's a horrible feeling. You won't be able to study as you won't have the motivation, physical and mental strength to do so. Trust me, I know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Thanks for the advice guys, any more advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel the same im an A2 student with a 4 month boyfriend. I have applied for veterinary medicine. I had a boyfriend at GCSE and did very well, we both motivated each other and obviously did similar subjects. AS I was single, got good grades but was very lonely and depressed for the whole year to be honest. This year I am worried. He is a DJ and studies music at university but he doesn't do much work. He doesn't ask me to meet him all the time as his friends are a big priority whereas for me their not. I see him as a 'reward' after I've done my work but you can do it, you just need to be harsh. We see each other 2/3 times a week when I wont even do work anyway and would probably watch TV (7pm onwards).

I'd say the hardest bit is trying not to fall out or break up, but you need to maintain the 'love' for the relationship so there has to be some effort in it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending