The Student Room Group

How can you tell when someone is insecure?

Hello,

What personality traits does an insecure person have and what would you do to become more secure?

Scroll to see replies

Insecure people? They keep trying to be more secure. They should just go with the flow and stop the "What ifs" running inside their heads
Original post by shawn_o1
Insecure people? They keep trying to be more secure. They should just go with the flow and stop the "What ifs" running inside their heads

Sometimes insecure people are very shy and especially when complimented they don't know how to take it as they don't believe the compliment that person has said to them. To be more secure you could act less bothered and don't let what other people think about you get you down however, it's easier said then done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think everyone is insecure about something.
Reply 4
They keep asking questions about themselves.
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1

Not in all cases. If I noticed I always act pessimistic and tried to disprove peoples' compliments to me, I would start to try and actually agree with them. If I hated seeing myself in pictures, I would maybe try and take more selfies to get used to my face and soon not care about what I look like. Being more willing to change your attitude can be good for you.
A lot of insecure people won't start conversations themselves and only really talk to people if someone else starts talking to them, don't like having pictures taken of them, very fussy about their appearance because they worry about how people will perceive them, afraid to embarrass themselves, sometimes they can't take compliments well.
Original post by tupper_ware
A lot of insecure people won't start conversations themselves and only really talk to people if someone else starts talking to them, don't like having pictures taken of them, very fussy about their appearance because they worry about how people will perceive them, afraid to embarrass themselves, sometimes they can't take compliments well.

Apart from the appearance bit that is me.
Not so sure but I use to have this friend who use to constantly put me off by what she use to say about me. My family and friends told me she was insecure.

- She always used to talk about herself and how beautiful she is. Oh my! That was something. She would tall about how she's fair and that my tanned skin means that I can't be pretty lol. I remember me and a few friends sitting down and she randomly started saying that she's so glad that she had braces and that cos of that she now has pouty lips. And oh yes, that was out the blue. My other friend later on got so annoyed and said that she's not vain, rather insecure. She always kept digging for compliments. I even remember walking down the corridor with her and 2 of my class fellows were looking at me and talking and I heard my name, they came and said that we weren't saying anything bad about you. Rather, that you are so beautiful and that friend of mine shifted the topic and had some weird expressions on her face. :/

I dunno, she used to always say that my features aren't good. I've small eyes and I'm a Pakistani and she used to call me 'Chinese' cos my eyes were not big. She was so rude. Plus, her lack of knowledge was just so much that she couldn't recognise the difference between a Chinese eye and a small eye lol. My other friend got to know how she used to say such things and once told me that she's insecure cos she's a bit heavy and you're slim.

Any ways, this is very immature of her. I'm still not sure whether she was an insecure being or not lol.
I don't think you can really tell off the cuff how insecure someone is. I think I've seen some really insecure people who have ranged from quiet and shy to loud and boisterous. You can't really say with confidence 'That person is insecure' just because they've been sneaky or have been aggressive.
Original post by tupper_ware

Original post by Arkasia
They keep asking questions about themselves.

meeee

Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
Not so sure but I use to have this friend who use to constantly put me off by what she use to say about me. My family and friends told me she was insecure.

- She always used to talk about herself and how beautiful she is. Oh my! That was something. She would tall about how she's fair and that my tanned skin means that I can't be pretty lol. I remember me and a few friends sitting down and she randomly started saying that she's so glad that she had braces and that cos of that she now has pouty lips. And oh yes, that was out the blue. My other friend later on got so annoyed and said that she's not vain, rather insecure. She always kept digging for compliments. I even remember walking down the corridor with her and 2 of my class fellows were looking at me and talking and I heard my name, they came and said that we weren't saying anything bad about you. Rather, that you are so beautiful and that friend of mine shifted the topic and had some weird expressions on her face. :/

I dunno, she used to always say that my features aren't good. I've small eyes and I'm a Pakistani and she used to call me 'Chinese' cos my eyes were not big. She was so rude. Plus, her lack of knowledge was just so much that she couldn't recognise the difference between a Chinese eye and a small eye lol. My other friend got to know how she used to say such things and once told me that she's insecure cos she's a bit heavy and you're slim.

Any ways, this is very immature of her. I'm still not sure whether she was an insecure being or not lol.

Yep. Watch American Beauty.
Original post by elmosandy
meeee

Yep. Watch American Beauty.

I don't get you. What's that about?
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
I don't get you. What's that about?

Just watch the whole of it and you'll understand why your friend was acting like that. Good flim about life too.

Seriously watch it
Reply 13
They always without fail walk around naked.

That's how you can tell.
Insecure people...

EDITED: UNREASONABLE
Original post by LTG
They always without fail walk around naked.

That's how you can tell.

Same! omg :biggrin:
Everyone's insecure, it's just a matter of finding out exactly what they're insecure about. It's easy to tell with those closest to you.
I guess they act like a whiney attebtion seeking pussy who spends 10 hours a day moaning to TSR about being beta rather than manning up and becoming alpha

Good thing they're in the ****ing gym now grrrr hope the bench press falls on them
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I guess they're a whiney pussy who spends 10 hours a day moaning to TSR about being beta rather than manning up and becoming alpha

Good thing they're in the ****ing gym now grrrr hope the bench press falls on them

Yet you're the one posting about 'if a girl does not like you, is it your fault for not being good enough? ' and ' do I have a victim mentality '?

I think tbh you shouldn't be so harsh really. Everyone is insecure about something and people have other ways of dealing with theirs.. You shouldn't think people are whiney pussies for havign whatever insecurites they have, what matters to you might not matter to someone else...
Body language gives people away I find. There's being confident and there's pretending to be confident.

Quick Reply

Latest