The Student Room Group

Is STEP getting dumbed down over time?

So 2 weeks ago I started going through most of the pure questions and one stat paper in STEP 1 papers starting from the year 2000 and now I'm on 2007 and I feel like all the questions are getting dumbed down compared to the old ones. What is happening?

Scroll to see replies

In two weeks you claim you have completed most of the questions from STEP I 2000 to 2007? :lol:
Reply 2
lol
the earlier STEP questions are easier than the current ones
you might just be doing Question 1 only and saying it's easy :clap2:
Original post by ETRC
lol
the earlier STEP questions are easier than the current ones
you might just be doing Question 1 only and saying it's easy :clap2:

no. I've been doing those that I've listed in the thread.
Reply 4
They're getting more even, I think.

Questions 1-4 on the earlier papers tended to be very much easier than 5-8, which were really hard; whereas on the later papers, it's only 1-2 which are easier than the rest.
Original post by ThatPerson
In two weeks you claim you have completed most of the questions from STEP I 2000 to 2007? :lol:

What's so unbelievable about that? 2 weeks is a lot of time, and I'm omitting the mechanics questions
Original post by CancerousProblem
So 2 weeks ago I started going through most of the pure questions and one stat paper in STEP 1 papers starting from the year 2000 and now I'm on 2007 and I feel like all the questions are getting dumbed down compared to the old ones. What is happening?

Not really, it's probably cuz now you've practiced more so you see them as easier, try going back to the earlier ones and see how easy they'll be; unless, you've done every single question ever, then I don't know what to tell you other than good for you and good luck on your exams.
Reply 7
Perhaps you might change your mind once you see the 2014 paper.
Original post by Krollo

You done it bro? I am doing that for a mock in about a month. How was it ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatPerson

I did all step 1 questions pure questions 2000-2011 in two weeks back when I was preparing. Doing them all again for fun now, once you're back in the grove it's only 30-40 minutes per question, perfectly doable.

Original post by CancerousProblem

They don't get easier, 2012 was the hardest paper for me, 2010 was the easiest, but when you look at the grade boundaries they vary GREATLY, sometimes 20 marks difference for each grade. In the 2010 paper I completed and correctly answered 6 questions within the time limit, though in fairness I think S boundary was like 103/120, in 2012 I only got a high 2...STEP is hard. If you're having a bad maths day you can get screwed over.

Earlier poster is right though, you see progress very fast in your ability to answer STEP questions, but definitely try and mark them yourself and look what the grade boundaries are.
Original post by Wahrheit
I did all step 1 questions pure questions 2000-2011 in two weeks back when I was preparing. Doing them all again for fun now, once you're back in the grove it's only 30-40 minutes per question, perfectly doable.

Fair enough. Personally I felt that when I started I would not have been able to do the amount of STEP I questions that the OP is claiming to have done; at that point I was just getting used to the idea of spending hours thinking about challenging problems. Of course, it would be blindingly obvious to anyone who has the ability to find STEP I questions straightforward without any prior practice, that the questions have not gotten easier.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
please someone close this thread ...

pulling-hair-out.gif
Reply 12
Original post by physicsmaths
You done it bro? I am doing that for a mock in about a month. How was it ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've only done a couple of questions on it, but I know Kongshou did it last year - he said it was all about picking the nice questions, of which there were few. I think he got a middling 1 in the end, and he came top ten nationally in BMO2, so I can't imagine how bad it must be for us mere mortals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I've only done a couple of questions on it, but I know Kongshou did it last year - he said it was all about picking the nice questions, of which there were few. I think he got a middling 1 in the end, and he came top ten nationally in BMO2, so I can't imagine how bad it must be for us mere mortals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I know someone at Cambridge now who got 110/120 in that paper. He did 1 mechanics 1 stats and 4 pure questions. Ge got 11 in II/IIi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by physicsmaths
Ah I know someone at Cambridge now who got 110/120 in that paper. He did 1 mechanics 1 stats and 4 pure questions. Ge got 11 in II/IIi

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose that's why he's at Cambridge :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Honestly, I don't see it's that bad a paper. I have to ask if it's the paper you took "for real". Having overseen people on TSR taking STEP for 8 years now, there's a definite tendency for people to find STEP harder when doing it for real. Not entirely sure why.
Reply 16
Original post by DFranklin
Honestly, I don't see it's that bad a paper. I have to ask if it's the paper you took "for real". Having overseen people on TSR taking STEP for 8 years now, there's a definite tendency for people to find STEP harder when doing it for real. Not entirely sure why.

I suspect if you've never sat a 3 hour exam in "live" conditions before it's probably a shock to the system, however much practice you've had. Not a problem for our generation, of course, since 3-hour A levels were the norm :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by DFranklin

No, I'm doing STEP 1 this year and I haven't properly looked at the 2014 paper, I was just going off reputation and grade boundaries more than anything:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davros
I suspect if you've never sat a 3 hour exam in "live" conditions before it's probably a shock to the system, however much practice you've had. Not a problem for our generation, of course, since 3-hour A levels were the norm :smile:
True. The interesting thing is that back in 2007/2008 it seemed to be much less of an issue - people thought STEP III was tough (but not ridiculously so) but actually thought STEP II was pretty easy. But from 2010 or so every year has had loads of people proclaiming their exams were the hardest ever.
What is STEP?

Quick Reply

Latest