The Student Room Group

Different engine size driving experience?

Newbie question as I'm still to buy my first car, using parents automatic atm (will buy manual). Was looking to get a 1.6 Ford Focus but unfortunately was sold by the next day...

But just curious, most cars I've been looking at are 1.4-1.6ltr, some 1.8-2, couple of 1-1.2.

What is the actual difference in driving experience between say a smaller 1-1.2ltr engine, and something 1.6+, is there anything significant? I assume larger engine means more acceleration, but bar that?

One thing I was curious about is in learning in a diesel, if in crawling traffic you could just crawl along by raising the clutch, where as in my GF's Ford KA that seems a no go. Is that purely a diesel thing, or do larger petrol engines have more torque, which I believe is involved in the ability to do this? (probably totally wrong, I know sweet **** all about cars).
Lazier gear changes mainly.
Reply 2
You have to consider the the weight of the car. On a like for like model though you're generally right. More torque means you can use higher gears more often. Pulling away requires fewer revs and it's easier to avoid stalling. You'll generally still want to use a bit of throttle though.
Reply 3
In traffic I use a bit of throttle to move off, only about 1000-1200rpm though. Once moving I can let off the throttle and idle is enough to keep it going. That's a 1.8 petrol focus.

If you're doing a lot of long journeys then a larger engine will be smoother and more comfortable. But can be more expensive to run and more to tax. Swings and roundabouts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joey11223
Newbie question as I'm still to buy my first car, using parents automatic atm (will buy manual). Was looking to get a 1.6 Ford Focus but unfortunately was sold by the next day...

But just curious, most cars I've been looking at are 1.4-1.6ltr, some 1.8-2, couple of 1-1.2.

What is the actual difference in driving experience between say a smaller 1-1.2ltr engine, and something 1.6+, is there anything significant? I assume larger engine means more acceleration, but bar that?

One thing I was curious about is in learning in a diesel, if in crawling traffic you could just crawl along by raising the clutch, where as in my GF's Ford KA that seems a no go. Is that purely a diesel thing, or do larger petrol engines have more torque, which I believe is involved in the ability to do this? (probably totally wrong, I know sweet **** all about cars).

I know what you mean, I learnt in a Yaris 1.4 diesel and now driving a 1.4 polo diesel. I tried my mates 1.2 petrol polo and it's the same as my diesel polo in that you can move off with the clutch only. I drove 1.0 Yaris/Clio before for a very short time and they both needed some gas to move off. My mate has a Type R and it's an absolute animal, with the clutch only it moves off like a jet lol.
Larger petrol engines are also torque-ier.

For example, there is enough torque so that I can drive at 40MPH (even with slight inclines) at less than 2000RPM in my petrol-engined car.

The downside is less MPG, whilst fuel prices continue to increase lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ryanhhh1
Exciting time buying a first car :-).
But again to put it in 'first car' perspective, for a 1.4, road tax, maybe £140 per year, and insurance possibly closer to £2000 for your first year. Fuel costs would be slightly higher.

Aye it is lol,

nah not worried about that due to my favoured car from an initial selection being a 1.6 Ford Focus, got sold sadly. I had a quick look on insurance comparison and I can get it at a tad over £1000 (I'm over 21 which does it I think) so don't think engine size is too much of an issue, maybe more the model of car.
Original post by joey11223
Aye it is lol,

nah not worried about that due to my favoured car from an initial selection being a 1.6 Ford Focus, got sold sadly. I had a quick look on insurance comparison and I can get it at a tad over £1000 (I'm over 21 which does it I think) so don't think engine size is too much of an issue, maybe more the model of car.

Also do specifically look up the engine itself.....as two different 1.2, etc engine are not the same in terms power, pull, etc but also depends in the car it is in.
Here's my run down:

The type of fuel and engine size should be based on your use of the car. Here's what I've had and how they were best suited.

Vauxhall Corsa C 1.4 petrol:
Great little car for jetting about in the town centre. Returned decent MPG for town/city driving but not great on the motorway as the little 1.4 really struggles around the 70 mark. a 1.2 would even more so, etc etc. Nice to drive though, but when coming onto a dual carriageway etc, you really could feel the limitation of the engine with slow acceleration.

Toyota Yaris 1.0 petrol:
Ideal for purely town/city. No power whatsoever on motorway. Small engine size delivers lovely MPG though on city roads.

Vauxhall Astra J 1.4 petrol:
Utterly bloody useless. This car should NEVER have been made. The same engine that the Corsa C used, was put into the astra J. To get the car past 40 on the motorway, you need to stick in third. To get from 40-70 takes about 20 seconds in fourth gear. Horrid, horrid car. Even in city driving, this car is awful. See a gap in a the roundabout? Too bad, you'll need a 10 second pause in traffic to pull out in this thing. My drive that's 50 miles (mostly motorway) would use nearly £12 of fuel; since every time you brake on the motorway, you had to ram it into a low gear to get ANY speed back - which aint good for the gearbox either.

Vauxhall Astra J 1.7 Diesel:
Totally different car from the 1.4 petrol. Pulls alright, decent mpg (not great though as the astra is HEAVY car). Worlds apart from the rubbish 1.4 petrol. By no means rapid, but decent.

Ford Fiesta 1.5 Diesel:
Nice little car, pulls well and has the oomf when you push the revs high enough. Gets good motorway mpg and is ok to drive in the city. Again, being a bog standard diesel engine size, it's not mega fast, but has the power to move when you need it.

Seat Leon FR+ 2.0 Diesel:
Only had this car for a day before a transit rear ended it, but this thing was rapid. Incredible pulling power from still even in high gears. Turbo kicks in nice and early so you're rapid from the get go. Easily overtakes and picks up speed even at 70+ in sixth gear. Absolutely loved it. My dads 2.5 petrol Mazda 6 struggled to keep pace with it; which in itself is a rapid car.

Ultimately it comes down to, what car is the engine in and what sort of driving is it going to be doing?

Town/city = small petrol
Town/city with some motorway = mid size petrol 1.6-1.8
Mixture of all and if you want power and aren't a fan of diesels = 1.8+ petrol

Mainly motorway with VERY good mpg = mid diesel
Mainly motorway with better than petrol MPG and very fast = large diesel

I wouldn't recommend town/city driving on a diesel as you need to give diesels a good blast at high speed to clear out the filters etc or you'll run into some costly trouble.
Reply 9
Meh its all the same basic stuff. I've had experiance driving some nutty cars (I work for a car tuning and detailing company we do dyno and some light real world testing on client tunes) to be honest the biggest difference you can get well driving is A. Physical size and B. Automatic vs Manual.

For physical size i think it is important that you try to get a shot of this. Not is it an elighting experience trying to low speed maneuver a larger car (i.e Parking it :biggrin:) but its also interesting once you get up to speed how much more planted some larger vehicles feel compared to smaller city cars.

As for Auto vs Manual it depends on your driving style. I reckon id get into a lot more trouble with a quick auto (although ive never used one as a personal daily). If your like me then the first time you try a car its always nice to find a nice quiet bit of road and just plant your foot on the gas, just too see what happens. In a manual you get a true sense of speed through your own driver input, with an automatic is quiet easy to get up to high speed without really noticing especially in a higher performance car.

I mean the biggest difference you will feel going from a 1.0 to 1.6 or 2.0 petrol is the lazyness of the engine, a 1.6 / 2.0 will require a lot less gas to do the same thing as your 1.0 although the basic concept will be the same. The biggest difference i found personally when changing my daily driver was going from a 2.0 petrol to a 1.9 diesel. I know it sounds silly but the difference between the petrol and the diesel was massive. The petrol did 0-60 in 9 & a bit seconds and the diesel was 8 and a bit (lighter car). However it was the way the power was delivered which was so different and i found extremely enjoyable. In a petrol your peak torque and peak power are usually both high in the rev band and are reletivly close together (i.e peak torque at 4500 and peak power at 6000 as it was in mine) so you can really feel the engine climbing onto the power as the revs rise. However in the diesel your peak torque was at 2000 and peak power at 4000. Same 2000 RPMish difference however the range of revs of the diesel where much narrower so it was far easier to climb onto the torque band since it was also a FAR torquer engine it creates some interesting handling characteristics and makes the car feel a lot faster than it is during everyday driving.

I could also go into the merits of different engine configurations. I4 (what most cars have) V6s, V8s all have very power delivery. Then throwing turbo's into the equation and you have a whole different ballgame. There is also the tune of the engine, sporty cars have a more aggressive cam profile meaning they will have more power higher in the revs and the engine will always feel tight and highly strung under power. There are so many factors that effect the feel and performance of an engine the displacement is only a very minor one that many (mainly inexperienced) drivers make way to much of a big deal out of.

TLDR: Engine size (displacement) means very little. Every car will feel different but the biggest difference will be from manual/Auto gearbox and physical size.
Original post by ToastyCoke

Seat Leon FR+ 2.0 Diesel:
Only had this car for a day before a transit rear ended it, but this thing was rapid. Incredible pulling power from still even in high gears. Turbo kicks in nice and early so you're rapid from the get go. Easily overtakes and picks up speed even at 70+ in sixth gear. Absolutely loved it. My dads 2.5 petrol Mazda 6 struggled to keep pace with it; which in itself is a rapid car.

Hey Toasty

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1489514&mid=430671&nmt=New+car+in+a+smash+within+12+hours+-+write+off%3F

You wouldnt happen to be this guy on Pistonheads would you? :biggrin:

Also my fabia is essentially a rebadge the older version of that car (with the PD130 1.9). Will agree its a fantastic car.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CAElite
Hey Toasty

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1489514&mid=430671&nmt=New+car+in+a+smash+within+12+hours+-+write+off%3F

You wouldnt happen to be this guy on Pistonheads would you? :biggrin:

Also my fabia is essentially a rebadge the older version of that car (with the PD130 1.9). Will agree its a fantastic car.

That would be me mate haha! Had to ask for advice as the insurance company I'm dealing with are COMPLETE cowboys. Assigning the car to garages that refuse to work with them because "we don't appreciate how they do business" etc.

Gutted isn't the word! But had my little Corsa since I passed my test, even with owning all the other cars too, but had to let it go for the drive way space after 6 years, so think I'd have been even more gutted had I seen the corsa as a write off!

Been given a Vauxhall Mokka 1.7 as my courtesy car. Soccer mum wagon :rolleyes:

Totally agree that one of the most important factors is the car that the engine is in; i.e. my experience with the 1.4 corsa and 1.4 astra.
(edited 9 years ago)
"£1000 p/y" Lol where do you live mate. Insurance is now like £3000 p/y.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRHalley
"£1000 p/y" Lol where do you live mate. Insurance is now like £3000 p/y.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For me a in 1.4 Corsa Exclusiv as a new driver, I was £800 a year. Large cities = more crime. Rough postcodes = more crime. This equates to higher risk, ergo, higher premiums. I live in a town of about 130,000 people.

That being said, sometimes you could live in the best area in the country and still get a high premium.
Original post by ToastyCoke
For me a in 1.4 Corsa Exclusiv as a new driver, I was £800 a year. Large cities = more crime. Rough postcodes = more crime. This equates to higher risk, ergo, higher premiums. I live in a town of about 130,000 people.

That being said, sometimes you could live in the best area in the country and still get a high premium.

Read your pistonheads thread, disappointed to find out about the lowball offer they gave you. (£11k)

I hope your repair job turns out decent.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Read your pistonheads thread, disappointed to find out about the lowball offer they gave you. (£11k)

I hope your repair job turns out decent.

Yeah mate, I called a £10.5k offer, so £11,000 wasn't too far off the mark eh!

Thanks bud, I'm sure it will, the garage seem to be really quite decent and it's going for a full check to the dealer after, to make sure it's top notch!
Difference between a 1.2 and a 1.4 is a 1.4 is a lot more nippy (different engine size, same model). You have to be more careful when pulling out on a roundabout/ junction in a 1.2 because you might not get there quick enough.

Also, what you said about crawling along in traffic using the clutch, it's more about the car, rather than the engine size. I'd easily do that in a diesel Fiesta, but I can't in my Micra, it hasn't got enough torque, so I need to accelerate. However, it's not ideal to ride the clutch anyway, it wears the clutch. So I wouldn't say it's a bad thing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
A modern 4 cylinder turbo diesel drives just like a large capacity N.A petrol V8.
Gobs of torque but it doesn't like to rev.

Quick Reply

Latest