The Student Room Group

TOP 5 most prestigious degrees' ??

Scroll to see replies

Some of the most intelligent people I have ever met are historians. Some of our greatest academics are historians. History is generally overlooked by the dim-witted
Reply 41
Off the top of my head and in no particular order I'd have to guess Medicine, Law, Engineering, Maths, and then any of the main sciences or a degree related to Bio/Chem/Physics.

I'm a bit confused why someone has put Philosophy lmao. I'm not knocking it as a course or having a go at any Philosophy students, I imagine it's interesting to study but no offence, any degrees which don't involve learning a particular skill/trade or something essential for a particular career, aren't going to make it into top 5 prestigious subjects.
1) PPE - most, if not all, of our PM's have a PPE degree so if you have a PPE degree your in for a life of politics and government - which basically is how the world is run!
2) medicine
3) dentistry
4) engineering
5) economics/mathematics - not sure about 5th place but the first 4 are definitely the most prestigious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by abc:)

I mean I only know one Philosophy graduate and he currently works as a receptionist in a gym so...

Lol and people still study philosophy

I just fail to understand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GorlimtheUnhappy
Some of the most intelligent people I have ever met are historians. Some of our greatest academics are historians. History is generally overlooked by the dim-witted

I think you just summed up the flaw in the idea of prestige.
Reply 45
Maths
Astor physics
Medicine
Economics
Law

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. Medicine
2. Physics
3. Engineering
4. Chinese (or Arabic/Japanese)
5. Classics
Reply 47
WTF do economist do ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. Law
2. PPE
3. Medicine
4. History
5. Maths
Reply 49
Original post by AsandaLFC
Lol and people still study philosophy

I just fail to understand

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well like I said, no it's not prestigious but I don't think you should write it off as a subject.... I mean university isn't just about employability anyway.

I think his issue was that he didn't do anything outside of his degree so he had no skills or experience.... but he studied Philosophy because it interested him which I think is a good enough reason to study anything really... he could have just done with branching out at the same time.
Original post by JamesManc
1 Psychology
2 Medicine
3 Law
4 Architecture
5 Engineering

Hmmm....#1 looks out of place...I dont suppose you have a personal bias? :wink:

History is a pretty prestigious degree.....
Original post by AsandaLFC
1. actuarial science
2. Medicine
3. Engineering (all)
4. Astrophyics
5. Law

Yours ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dentistry ???
Politics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to mention a large number of city execs have History degrees. I seem to remember an article in the times about it a few weeks back!
Reply 54
1. David Beckham Studies
2. Star Trek
3. Surfing
1. Law
2. Medicine
3. Dentistry
4. Engineering (all)
5. Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) Medicine
2) Dentistry
3) Maths
4) Engineering
5) Physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just their way of making you think they're smart as they do an inferior degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
1. Medicine
2. Law
3. Engineering (particularly Electrical and Mechanical)
4. Economics
5. Physics/Astrophysics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yellowcopter
1. Maths
2. Physics
3. Medicine & Dentistry
4. Engineering & Computer Science
5. Law
50. Biology
100. Humanities excluding History and Philosophy
1000. Art/Textiles/Photography

I'm just going to defend Photography on this one. I don't disagree with the list, however there are very few actually 'good' photographers out there and they generally don't have degrees in it.

All the capture methods of photography etc can become quite complicated, take practise and a lot of patience to pull off anywhere near well.

It's one of those things that anyone can do by pushing a button but the outcome is complete trash. To actually be good at it and even to recognise what makes a good picture takes quite a bit of time and effort and it takes forever to master. Most people can't tell a good picture from a poor one.

There is a lot of flowery rubbish associated with it, instagram is a perfect example of this and that's why it probably gets hated on I guess but I woudn't say becoming a good photographer is easy.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending