The Student Room Group

Suddenly pretty, it's confusing...

Okay so I'm a girl and all my life I haven't been considered attractive. I was overweight and had hairy eyebrows, a big nose and didn't know how to apply makeup etc, you get the jist! In college I used to envy girls with there perfect figure and perfect makeup and the fact boys oogled them, whereas I got no attention. In fact my friends got attention (as they were naturally beautiful despite not knowing how to dress/do makeup) and I had terrible low confidence.

Fast forwards to uni and I shed a load of weight, and learn how to do makeup. I can apply it very well and always have a made-up but not too over the top face and I dress well for my figure and basically put effort into my appearance.

This is where the confusion starts. All my uni friends complement me saying how beautiful I am and how I always look amazing, but I was the same girl who was side-lined and didn't know how to dress or anything. I get a lot of attention off guys in my course too and although some of these guys aren't super attractive, and my friends say I can do loads better, I still have that mentality from the past and secretly can't believe I'm getting all this attention and I appreciate it a lot, even from these so called 'average' guys, as I still feel below average.

What I'm trying to say is my mind can't adjust to this new me. I can't believe I'm the same girl that the good-looking, popular girls used to look down on and laugh at. I don't even know if this is making sense, but how can I adjust to this new me?
Reply 1
Pics or it didn't happen...
Original post by Enoxial
Pics or it didn't happen...

omf :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so I'm a girl and all my life I haven't been considered attractive. I was overweight and had hairy eyebrows, a big nose and didn't know how to apply makeup etc, you get the jist! In college I used to envy girls with there perfect figure and perfect makeup and the fact boys oogled them, whereas I got no attention. In fact my friends got attention (as they were naturally beautiful despite not knowing how to dress/do makeup) and I had terrible low confidence.

Fast forwards to uni and I shed a load of weight, and learn how to do makeup. I can apply it very well and always have a made-up but not too over the top face and I dress well for my figure and basically put effort into my appearance.

This is where the confusion starts. All my uni friends complement me saying how beautiful I am and how I always look amazing, but I was the same girl who was side-lined and didn't know how to dress or anything. I get a lot of attention off guys in my course too and although some of these guys aren't super attractive, and my friends say I can do loads better, I still have that mentality from the past and secretly can't believe I'm getting all this attention and I appreciate it a lot, even from these so called 'average' guys, as I still feel below average.

What I'm trying to say is my mind can't adjust to this new me. I can't believe I'm the same girl that the good-looking, popular girls used to look down on and laugh at. I don't even know if this is making sense, but how can I adjust to this new me?

Just be thankful that puberty has been kind to you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by _Charlotte15
Just be thankful that puberty has been kind to you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I am thankful honestly! It's just I'm in denial. I ac defensive with guys and pretend that I'm confident when in fact I'm very insecure.
Jameela Jamil has been through the same things, she said so herself on Radio 1 Surgery (that she was a fat teenager etc.). she's now a good-looking radio presenter who still struggles with anxiety at times
Reply 6
Original post by shawn_o1
Jameela Jamil has been through the same things, she said so herself on Radio 1 Surgery (that she was a fat teenager etc.). she's now a good-looking radio presenter who still struggles with anxiety at times

Ahh thanks for that I'll check it out. Wow can't believe it, she's gorgeous now
Reply 7
Congratulations on your change, however, you should learn to find yourself beautiful and be happy with who you are. Peoples opinions on your exterior self will always change and not everyone even with this new change will find you attractive. Hope your personality is as beautiful as your exterior and you don't suddenly become a b***h with this new look. Other then that its just another first world problem.
Reply 8
You will get used to it overtime :smile: you've been at the awkward stage for years, and this former view you have about yourself cannot change overnight as it has been a part of you. Overcoming anxiety isn't that easy at all.
Just be happy, enjoy life and be confident with yourself now. Confidence changes you..
Just be yourself. Don't let anyone change you now. Enjoy your life x:tongue:
lol thts like me, i suddenly got so many compliments recently
I experienced the same thing, so I know what you mean.

I've started to get used to it, but I still surprised when my girlfriends tell me they envy me or think I'm pretty.

I think that time plays a big part - if the change was quite recent then it's understandable that you're not used to it yet.

Something that played a big part in me adjusting to my attractive self was my boyfriend - having him as constant proof/reassurance that I'm genuinely pretty has certainly helped me to believe in my new self.
Reply 13
So we all play to our strengths and work on our weaknesses in the dating game. Just use it to find someone genuine and wholesome who you like. A good relationship is very important, in my experience, for feeling fulfilled..
Reply 14
It's not really 'suddenly' then is it, because you lost weight over a period of time and became more attractive in general over a period of time.

Most people naturally scrub up a bit better when they go to uni.
Reply 15
You have ugly duckling syndrome as long as you work on your confidence you will be fine and chances are much more humble and sweet than girls who have always been pretty you will probably make better girlfriend material!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending