The Student Room Group

Do sixth forms give day off for general election?

My first guess is no. But seeing as the majority of the upper year are 18+, shouldn't they give time off to cast your vote? Or do they just expect you to vote outside of school hours?

Scroll to see replies

They expect you to vote outside school hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Polls open at 7am and don't close until 10pm. No days-off needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ImNormal
My first guess is no. But seeing as the majority of the upper year are 18+, shouldn't they give time off to cast your vote? Or do they just expect you to vote outside of school hours?

Most companies give their workers the day off to vote.
I've never understood why sixth forms didn't too.
Original post by Quady

I would hazard that it's because nearly all schools have regular opening and closing times and are not too distant from the local polling stations of the pupils, while places of work could be far away and depending on the job the hours could be quite long.
Reply 5
Original post by Quady

No they don't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't see why they would, voting is open for about 7 hours afterschool.

Maybe if it was to help with polling stations or campaigning, but most people don't engage in that.
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
No they don't.

Who were you working for in 2010?
Reply 8
Original post by Quady
Who were you working for in 2010?

A large marketing agency.

And you?
No. They don't. Only possible reason they would do so is if the school had to be used as a polling station.

I remember going to vote after school in 2010. Polling station was on my route home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quady

I wish :frown: Polling stations open early and close late to allow everyone to vote in time. Or, you opt for a postal vote.
For the record, employers are not obliged to give workers a whole day off to vote, but a reasonable request to come in late/leave early in order to vote would be considered no ground for dismissal.
Reply 12
Original post by gladders
For the record, employers are not obliged to give workers a whole day off to vote, but a reasonable request to come in late/leave early in order to vote would be considered no ground for dismissal.

It depends entirely on the employer - yes it is unlikely many employers would dismiss someone but I bet some employers are strict on it.

There is nothing in law saying an employer must permit any time off to vote.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/may/04/time-off-work-vote-right
(edited 9 years ago)
True, I was under the impression that an appeal against dismissal on the grounds of needing to vote could work however, as long as it could be demonstrated they had no other opportunity to vote. I agree that it would be unlikely given the long duration in which polling stations are open.
Original post by ImNormal

Polling stations are open very late.

The majority of the electorate manage to vote and go to work.
Reply 15
Original post by Quady

Even if they did (which they don't) why would you need the whole day off?
as others have said polling stations are open 0700 -2200

i'm not aware of any organisation giving people time off to vote

most of the 'time off because of elections' stuff happens when a primary school is the only suitable venue for a polling station
As others have said, I think you will find most companies don't give people the day off to vote. The only people I have come across having time off are those who work in schools that are used as polling stations. Many of my local schools are polling stations so the kids have the day off school.

The MEP election was the first one where my boyfriend and I have been working, and we both went before going to work. Just meant we had to get up a bit earlier. In the last general election, I had a proxy vote as I was studying in the US at the time.
Original post by Quady

I have never heard of a company giving people the day off to vote before. It's certainly nothing any of my previous companies have done and none of my friends/family have mentioned theirs doing it either.
Original post by Quady

Why would you need an entire day off to do something that takes a few seconds? Even for those who live furthest away from their polling station I doubt it would be more than an hour in total for getting there and back.

While I think most sixth formers would welcome a day off school, having a day off just to vote is a pretty feeble excuse. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending