The Student Room Group

Midwifery questions?

Hi, I have recently decided to be a midwife, and have a few questions?

Are there differences between midwifery uni courses across countries within the UK? I know they all have to meet NMC standards but I wondered if I would be at an advantage to choose England or Wales or NI over Scotland where I live?

I am aware that the NHS funds midwife degrees, does that mean I wouldn't have to pay tuition fees in England being Scottish?

Also, why do most universities have a "school of nursing and midwifery" even if they don't offer midwifery? for example Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow... I've looked on their websites and they only offer nursing. Is it possible to do midwifery at these unis? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for putting up with my silly questions! Much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
AFAIK there is only very little variation on the course content. There are different teaching methods and different unis teach different values. Eg York's course is a BA not a Bsc or Bmid, they view midwifery as an art.
You can look on websites and in prospectuses to get a feel for their values and their teaching style. There's also integrated vs block placements and assessments to consider.

However, it is hard to get a job in Scotland as after you do your year of preceptorship you aren't guaranteed a job. There are more jobs the further south you go.

Yes tuition fees are paid for.

The schools of nursing and midwifery that don't offer undergraduate courses may offer postgraduate courses. If it's not on UCAS then it doesn't exist.

Hope I've helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending