The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
Labour does not equal Blair. Blair was a conservative and a Thatcherite. The party has shifted less.

Also pledges to give priority to the NHS UN contracts so that ain't happening any more!

So are well all just supposed to ignore the last 12 years when labour were in office? Pretend it never happened.

Also why do labour not defend theselves from accusations of courinsg the 2008 crisis? The Tories go 'labour created thye mess, need austerity'

People look to labour and they just say 'yep we did it'. Tories get all throffy about unions payrolling labour and playing a part in how the party runs, labour just nod thier heads in shame and don't even mention some of the dodgy **** that funds the Tories! (Probably since labour will have its fair share now they are the party for business MKII)

There is so much **** that labour could lambast the tories with but they just instead help the 'austerity is the only way' narrative which people just soak up even though it isn't working. Labour have effectively played part in the propaganda process that means they can not shift leftwards even if they wanted to. Why not point out that the debt to GDP wast 240% after world war II compared to 80% that it is now. It was much worse. Yet building hospitals and bringing in the NHS worked and even helped bring Britain out of the mess. But that would be too left wing.

Syriza did well since they managed to create a left wing narrative that touched with everyday experiences of ordinary people. But all we got is some green hippies and a bunch of far right thatcherites blaming immigrants. Working people know something is up, they feel it, but they only got Farage providing 'answers'

Plus Labour used to be a left wing party when they were voted in and brought in the welfare state and NHS!

I don't actually mean the left should start marching around with red flags with sickle and hammer on it, just for the record :tongue:

I've gone off topic and will stop now :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I've been on here for 10 years now.

In the 'golden age' that people hark back to, there was more nastiness about university snobbery. You still see it here today but back then it was a major theme. I remember being an undergraduate at Leeds, and getting all sorts of harassment on the economics forum about Leeds being a sub-par institution and basically that I wouldn't be able to get a job :lol:

The difference over time is that the university harassment became a smaller share of TSR activity and there was an increase in harassment of Muslims/Jews/immigrants/feminism.

It's always the same arguments from the same posters and they never move on they just carry on posting about it. We all know that if we come back in 5 years time the same posters will be on here saying the same things: Muslims are all terrorists/grooming rape gangs; there is a global conspiracy where Jews control everything; New Liebour and the EU destroyed white culture by mass immigration; women want too much equality and this is why men can't find partners any more.

Yes. Entirely this.

21st century neoliberalism has brought TSR and its kibd out of an insulated bubble of society and back to current affairs, albeit affairs utterly skewed by the generalised personality rype of those living in the bubble. I've been anticipating a move in society back to the Right since 2013.

Also the target demographic has becoming increasingly younger and inexperienced in life *cough* so no **** expect increasing immaturity (inb4 age discrimination)

Will respond in full to thread later when access to computer
Thread has gone off-topic and people seem to have said what they want to with regards to the OP. Thread locked :h:

Latest