The Student Room Group

Newbie full of questions

Hello everyone!

I'm beginning to ask myself that terrible, exhausting and life-changing question that everyone more or less has to cope with at some point or another in their life: what do I want to study at university?
It is quiet a riddle for me and I thought that knowing others experiences might be a great opportunity to find out...

Meanwhile, nice to meet you all :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by adynaton
Hello everyone!

I'm beginning to ask myself that terrible, exhausting and life-changing question that everyone more or less has to cope with at some point or another in their life: what do I want to study at university?
It is quiet a riddle for me and I thought that knowing others experiences might be a great opportunity to find out...

Meanwhile, nice to meet you all :wink:
The biggest question is, what do you enjoy most?

Because don't study it. Study something useful at uni, because if you stufy what you love you may find it spoiled, like I did.
Original post by Tootles

Because don't study it. Study something useful at uni, because if you stufy what you love you may find it spoiled, like I did.

The feels.
Original post by Tootles

Oh no.. What happens if I've already got a mental roadmap of what would be ideal for my future? I understand the implications that you must study something that will hold up well in the future but since I'm looking at Creative Arts stuff I don't know what kinds of courses or what should we (in this same boat as the Newbie) look for to help with our decisions?
Reply 4
Original post by thalikat
Oh no.. What happens if I've already got a mental roadmap of what would be ideal for my future? I understand the implications that you must study something that will hold up well in the future but since I'm looking at Creative Arts stuff I don't know what kinds of courses or what should we (in this same boat as the Newbie) look for to help with our decisions?
Well, follow your roadmap. But have a backup plan.
Reply 5
Original post by thalikat

That is exactly my problem. I have a strong inclination towards politics & economics but at the same time I have a passion for literature & philosophy... Problem is, I have no idea how to combine my passions without leaving out a part of who I am :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Tootles
Well, follow your roadmap. But have a backup plan.

That'd be the right thing to do but what do you suggest when your interests have nothing to do with each other (as I previously said to thalikat)? How can you follow both paths when they lead in so different directions?

Reply 7
That is exactly my problem. I have a strong inclination towards politics & economics but at the same time I have a passion for literature & philosophy... Problem is, I have no idea how to combine my passions without leaving out a part of who I am :frown:

What about PPE? That's 3 out of 4.
Reply 8
Original post by aoxa
What about PPE? That's 3 out of 4.

I've been thinking about it for a while now but from what I know admission is ridiculously competitive and being an outside-UK applicant thought that it might be even harder to get in...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I've been thinking about it for a while now but from what I know admission is ridiculously competitive and being an outside-UK applicant thought that it might be even harder to get in...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you've got good grades, and a good PS, there's no reason not to go for it.

Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? And are you looking at 2016 or 17 entry?
Reply 10
Original post by aoxa
If you've got good grades, and a good PS, there's no reason not to go for it.

Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? And are you looking at 2016 or 17 entry?

No problem at all, I'm from Italy and looking for 2016 entry (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have similar passions. I think I'll be applying for Philosophy, or Philosophy and Politics though as studying literature ruins the enjoyability of it for me, and I'm not mathsy enough for Econ at uni.

Welcome though, and best of luck! Always here if you need advice and such.
Reply 12
No problem at all, I'm from Italy and looking for 2016 entry (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm looking at 2016 entry too - I have no idea what to study either :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by Cal-lum
I have similar passions. I think I'll be applying for Philosophy, or Philosophy and Politics though as studying literature ruins the enjoyability of it for me, and I'm not mathsy enough for Econ at uni.

Welcome though, and best of luck! Always here if you need advice and such.

Thank you! (: 2016 or 2017 entry?

My idea is (if I get into PPE) to take P&P after one year but I still think Economy does give a strong and necessary basis to the understanding of our political situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by aoxa
I'm looking at 2016 entry too - I have no idea what to study either :tongue:

Have you already been checking out some specific courses or universities? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Have you already been checking out some specific courses or universities? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. I've been looking at Maths/Physics type courses :smile:

Have you been looking at any specific unis? I guess it's harder for you as it'll be harder/impossible to visit for open days?
Thank you! (: 2016 or 2017 entry?

My idea is (if I get into PPE) to take P&P after one year but I still think Economy does give a strong and necessary basis to the understanding of our political situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries :smile:

2016 entry. Yeah Econ is very important, just not my cup of tea really! Have you had a look at Political Economy courses too?

PPE just seems to be quite an elitist subject, at most universities. I don't think I'd get the A*AA that I'd need. Also I'm planning on doing a Law conversion(GDL) post degree, so it doesn't really matter too much.
Reply 17
Original post by aoxa
Yeah. I've been looking at Maths/Physics type courses :smile:

Have you been looking at any specific unis? I guess it's harder for you as it'll be harder/impossible to visit for open days?

Checked a couple of unis but haven't set my mind on any of them yet. Luckily, I'll be able to attend some of the open days during summer although it is hard to decide from so far away...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Cal-lum
No worries :smile:

2016 entry. Yeah Econ is very important, just not my cup of tea really! Have you had a look at Political Economy courses too?

PPE just seems to be quite an elitist subject, at most universities. I don't think I'd get the A*AA that I'd need. Also I'm planning on doing a Law conversion(GDL) post degree, so it doesn't really matter too much.

I did but I feel like I'd be missing something, do you know what I mean? I realize that PPE is a tremendously competitive course and that my chances are pretty low but I feel it'd be the only course that actually suits me (probably am too ambitious... most certainly :colondollar: ). I'm thinking about taking international studies afterwards and perhaps aim for a diplomatic career... Still not so sure about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Foo.mp3
I was strong at Economics at A-level + I chose to read Economics + I got a good degree in Economics = Profit

In Italy we don't have the chance to take Economics as a subject at school so I have no experience on the matter other then my personal interest... Wish it could have been that easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest