The Student Room Group

Guys, would it really bother you if a girl couldn't help farting in bed?

I promise I'm not trolling here, this is a real problem :confused:

I have IBS and no matter what I eat I get bloated and it can be really uncomfortable. During the day I can obviously go to the toilet or 'let one off' when no-one's around which helps, but at night as I'm about to fall asleep they just slip out! I've woken myself up so many times by farting.
I was horrified when it first happened on one of first nights with my ex, but he started laughing and it made me feel more at ease even though I was still really embarrassed. I guess he got used to it because it happens almost every night and he used to just make a joke the next morning about how my farts kept waking him up.

The thing is that now that I'm single, I'm worried about meeting someone new and them thinking I'm really gross when it happens (and it's BOUND to happen).

Would you find it really gross if this were to happen? Not exactly the sexiest thing ever, is it? They don't normally smell, but are just loud.

I obviously could go to the toilet before bed and see if that helps, but if I'm at a guy's or he's at mine I could end up farting loudly on the toilet so he'd hear anyway, ahhhhh!

Scroll to see replies

I had this, sort out your diet and don't eat junk food or lots of oily and processed foods, do breathing yoga to also relive gas and walk.
Reply 2
That's pretty disgusting. It's okay to fart, but if you need to do it, always go to the toilet. Never do it in the company of others, especially when you're sharing a bed with someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
But if I'm asleep how am I supposed to go to the toilet? That's the problem! I don't know it's going to happen.

Tbh my IBS is normally worse after I've eaten salad and fresh fruit and veg. I do have the occasional bits of junk food, but do eat healthily most of the time, I'd say.
Original post by Cutty
That's pretty disgusting. It's okay to fart, but if you need to do it, always go to the toilet. Never do it in the company of others, especially when you're sharing a bed with someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rolleyes:

Original post by Anonymous

I have IBS and no matter what I eat I get bloated and it can be really uncomfortable. During the day I can obviously go to the toilet or 'let one off' when no-one's around which helps, but at night as I'm about to fall asleep they just slip out! I've woken myself up so many times by farting.
I was horrified when it first happened on one of first nights with my ex, but he started laughing and it made me feel more at ease even though I was still really embarrassed. I guess he got used to it because it happens almost every night and he used to just make a joke the next morning about how my farts kept waking him up.

The thing is that now that I'm single, I'm worried about meeting someone new and them thinking I'm really gross when it happens (and it's BOUND to happen).

Would you find it really gross if this were to happen? Not exactly the sexiest thing ever, is it? They don't normally smell, but are just loud.

I obviously could go to the toilet before bed and see if that helps, but if I'm at a guy's or he's at mine I could end up farting loudly on the toilet so he'd hear anyway, ahhhhh!

Not a guy but my boyfriend just says that farting around each other (obviously when it cannot be helped such as when you're asleep) is just normal and he has no problems with it. Anyone who has a problem is it is a bit odd in my opinion. If my boyfriend farted in bed I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.
Reply 5
I would not totally be cool with it happening, however, it's a body issue you are dealing with. I could probably put up with it for a bit. With your next guy perhaps open a window at bedtime and if its a big issue talk to him about it.
Original post by Cutty

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bf does it under the sheets all the time, don't know what to do I feel daft telling him to go to the toilet to do it.
Reply 7

So, bear in mind farting is a way of HUMAN life. I can guess it doesn't help the crazy rumour that women don't do it. But in reality it is a constant, but NON issue, for both sexes. Just relax, it will be fine
Not really, I'm a very deep sleeper.
Reply 9
Not an issue for me, would have the same attitude as your ex.
Id find it hilarious. Id get the dutch oven on the go a lot!
If someone isn't comfortable with farting around their significant other, either due to their view of it or the way their partner views it, then either they or their partner aren't mature enough to have a serious relationship if something so natural is considered taboo and something to be looked down upon.

You do realise that you fart in your sleep, right? My girlfriend farted on my leg the first time we spent a night together, it was near enough the perfect fart (all sound, no smell). I was thoroughly impressed.

I had some chinese chicken drumsticks yesterday, and the smells I produced were absolutely fantastic (in a "holy ****, what the **** is that smell?!?" kind of way). I laughed, she laughed, only the cat looked disgusted (and even then I have a feeling that was because she had just finished licking her arse).

Farting is completely natural, and there is nothing wrong with it. If your partner looks down on you for it then their maturity should be called into question.

See above. Perfect fart. Always hilarious, no exceptions.
Aw sweetheart, you can't help it, particularly when you're unconscious! Anyone who genuinely cares about you won't mind.

If you'd like to try and get it more under control, try keeping a food diary and a record of when your IBS flares up and see if it does seem to be anything in particular and how long it is after eating something that it affects you. You may find you can eat those things in the morning but be okay by bedtime, so obviously avoid eating them later in the day. If it's stuff like fresh fruit and veg I can see you don't exactly want to skimp on those!
If I had a girlfriend(ha I wish) I'd be too shocked by that fact to let a minor thing like farting be an issue :biggrin:

It's a natural process,nothing to be ashamed about,

On a different note
There are dietry changes ect. that can help IBS.
One of my friends kept a record of what and when he ate things and found some really bizarre stuff that made it worse,He'd done the cut junk eat healthy but then found some of the healthy stuff made it worse and some of the things he'd originally cut out had no effect,
Might be worth doing for a month or so and seeing if any connections can be made
Reply 14
Original post by Redfrost
My bf does it under the sheets all the time, don't know what to do I feel daft telling him to go to the toilet to do it.

That's just wrong, he really shouldn't be doing that!! You should speak to him about it, tell him he needs to either hold it or go outside to fart.
As Shrek once said; "Better out than in".
Reply 16

I have IBS and no matter what I eat I get bloated and it can be really uncomfortable.

This is a serious syndrome so I think you should tell him before, maybe he will understand that's not your fault and accept you with it.

Do you have already a treatment for it?
I like to think most guys would laugh it off, even if its just to make you feel better. Particularly if you explain the situation
Try something like Specific carbohydrate diet SCD. It work wonders. I got rid of my Crohn's disease :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't mean to sound insensitive to your genuine medical condition, but if you kept letting off loud farts I'd find it hilarious. I'm also a deep sleeper so no problem there. :biggrin:

I realize how childish this post makes me seem. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending