The Student Room Group

Is it evil to feel good about someone having a miscarriage?

So this just happened IRL to someone I know. This is a serious topic so please don't troll.

And I felt like **** because my first thought was to laugh really hard. The person in question is someone I don't get along with but that still doesn't justify my initial reaction.

I'm really questioning whether I'm a good person or not because it's evil to be happy about an unborn child dying. I feel sick in my stomach and bile in my throat tbh.

I'm deeply saddened.
Yeah I really don't see anything funny about laughing at a miscarriage even if the person whose had it isn't someone you get on with
Reply 2
Original post by Colonel Agansu
So this just happened IRL to someone I know. This is a serious topic so please don't troll.

And I felt like **** because my first thought was to laugh really hard. The person in question is someone I don't get along with but that still doesn't justify my initial reaction.

I'm really questioning whether I'm a good person or not because it's evil to be happy about an unborn child dying. I feel sick in my stomach and bile in my throat tbh.

I'm deeply saddened.

You're feeling guilty of your actions, so I wouldn't go as far as calling you evil.
That would be an evil thing to do.

How can you live your life being evil?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Yeah I really don't see anything funny about laughing at a miscarriage even if the person whose had it isn't someone you get on with

True, I guess I'm not as good as I thought I was.

Original post by kkboyk
You're feeling guilty of your actions, so I wouldn't go as far as calling you evil.

You're right but it still does't make me feel better about myself. I honestly thought I was better than that, I'm a petty idiot. :frown:
Well it's certainly not the nicest of reactions; miscarriages can really affect people :redface:
Original post by Changing Skies
Well it's certainly not the nicest of reactions; miscarriages can really affect people :redface:

I think because I don't really know much about the issue I initially took it as something like failing IRL or breaking a knee something trivial but at the same time unlucky of course now I think about it the more I realise how it can have a bigger impact.
Reply 7
I am a person who smiles/laughs instinctively when I'm nervous or just stressed or in a situation that requires strong sad emotions (in public).

I remember the time when I was like 9 years old or something and my mom told me that her grandma passed away. I was really really close to her.

What was my first reaction? I smiled.

Of course I felt terrible later on, and I didnt smile because i was happy she died. But this is just an instinctive reaction I have whenever I am subjected to a bad/stressful situation.

I assume it is the same case with you. You are not a horrible or evil person, and if you truly were evil you wouldn't be so consumed with guilt that you post about it on TSR.

So, dont worry :smile:
Yep it's super mean to feel good about something so horrible. Can't imagine what she's going through at the moment.

At least you see it was wrong to feel happy and laugh? Don't beat yourself up about it too much.
I think because I don't really know much about the issue I initially took it as something like failing IRL or breaking a knee something trivial but at the same time unlucky of course now I think about it the more I realise how it can have a bigger impact.

That's fine. As long as you understand it now. :smile:
Original post by Huyan
I am a person who smiles/laughs instinctively when I'm nervous or just stressed or in a situation that requires strong sad emotions (in public).

I remember the time when I was like 9 years old or something and my mom told me that her grandma passed away. I was really really close to her.

What was my first reaction? I smiled.

Of course I felt terrible later on, and I didnt smile because i was happy she died. But this is just an instinctive reaction I have whenever I am subjected to a bad/stressful situation.

I assume it is the same case with you. You are not a horrible or evil person, and if you truly were evil you wouldn't be so consumed with guilt that you post about it on TSR.

So, dont worry :smile:

I think this is an explanation that can help me rest easy tbh even though I don't really believe this is the justification behind my shameful act.

:colondollar:
Original post by RHyoudon'kno
That's fine. As long as you understand it now. :smile:

I appreciate it more now I think. :biggrin:

I appreciate it more now I think. :biggrin:

Great. :console: Goodbye.

Quick Reply

Latest