The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Physics - CFE 2015!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by chopinfan
Anyone else utterly ****ed for this?? Only gonna have 6 days to basically learn this course from scratch cause I did nothing in physics all year... Pretty bad considering it's part of what I'm doing at uni too :redface:

I am ****ed for it. I've got 13 days after the maths exam to do 21 past papers from the old, revised and new courses. Have you made a typo? Cause the exam isn't until the 24th of May?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
I am ****ed for it. I've got 13 days after the maths exam to do 21 past papers from the old, revised and new courses. Have you made a typo? Cause the exam isn't until the 24th of May?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not too bad to be honest. Nah it's cause I've got Advanced Mechanics on the 17th and I have to study that after maths :/ That leaves me 6 full days to learn the course and then do past papers :eek: I'm not gonna be able to do it hahah
[QUOTE=chopinfan;64696809]That's not too bad to be honest. Nah it's cause I've got Advanced Mechanics on the 17th and I have to study that after maths :/ That leaves me 6 full days to learn the course and then do past papers :eek: I'm not gonna be able to do it hahah
What I advise you do then is for some past papers, do them but with your notes aside you so then as you tackle problems you can learn the theory and see how questions pop up- if you don't have notes use scholar. And as you go through each past paper slowly try and become more independent from the notes. Also since the revised AH is closely related to cfe I recommend you do them last, and if there's anything you aren't sure about learn the answer from the marking scheme and read up on scholar.
Original post by UncertainPhoton
What I advise you do then is for some past papers, do them but with your notes aside you so then as you tackle problems you can learn the theory and see how questions pop up- if you don't have notes use scholar. And as you go through each past paper slowly try and become more independent from the notes. Also since the revised AH is closely related to cfe I recommend you do them last, and if there's anything you aren't sure about learn the answer from the marking scheme and read up on scholar.

Thanks for this advice!! Really helpful :biggrin:
Reply 44
That's not too bad to be honest. Nah it's cause I've got Advanced Mechanics on the 17th and I have to study that after maths :/ That leaves me 6 full days to learn the course and then do past papers :eek: I'm not gonna be able to do it hahah

You'll know at least a unit of physics if you are doing mechanics surely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
You'll know at least a unit of physics if you are doing mechanics surely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know the majority of the first unit apart from general relativity and stellar physics. Doesn't help that we did the old higher last year at my school so I don't know a lot of the "assumed knowledge". Tbh it's my fault for not doing work in class but after getting offers and stuff I just wanted to piss about :laugh:

Did you do the new or old higher last year?
Reply 46
Yeah I know the majority of the first unit apart from general relativity and stellar physics. Doesn't help that we did the old higher last year at my school so I don't know a lot of the "assumed knowledge". Tbh it's my fault for not doing work in class but after getting offers and stuff I just wanted to piss about :laugh:

Did you do the new or old higher last year?

I'm the same, I did old higher last year. Ah well, we can only try our best 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
How is everyone feeling? Any of you troops done anything yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just had maths yesterday so I am taking today as a break from revising- tomorrow or Sunday I need to start my chemistry revision, but physics is my weakest subject so I'll do a little bit of physics in there as well. At least I have 6 days inbetween chemistry and physics as opposed to the 3 days between biology and maths!
Reply 49
Just had maths yesterday so I am taking today as a break from revising- tomorrow or Sunday I need to start my chemistry revision, but physics is my weakest subject so I'll do a little bit of physics in there as well. At least I have 6 days inbetween chemistry and physics as opposed to the 3 days between biology and maths!

Yeah I had Maths as well, how did you find the paper? I presume you took Adv? I really want to get all the past papers done in 11 days but it's so much effort XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298

Posted from TSR Mobile

Studying today.
Feeling confident, except with the waves/quantum unit.
Reply 51
Original post by Higherdude
Studying today.
Feeling confident, except with the waves/quantum unit.

Nice one, you done past papers yet? If so how many and how did you find them? I should probably start studying for it today, will do it in the afternoon I think...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
Yeah I had Maths as well, how did you find the paper? I presume you took Adv? I really want to get all the past papers done in 11 days but it's so much effort XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah doing 4 AH this year, been a bit hectic and have only done 2 exams as of now. Maths was good but I made some silly mistakes- but seeing the answers after wards and taking away all the marks from questions I got wrong I get 73%- which doesn't even take carry through marks into consideration- so I am pretty confident in it. I want to get all of them done for both Chemistry and Physics but if I don't take a day off right now I might just burn out. How did you find maths?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
Yeah doing 4 AH this year, been a bit hectic and have only done 2 exams as of now. Maths was good but I made some silly mistakes- but seeing the answers after wards and taking away all the marks from questions I got wrong I get 73%- which doesn't even take carry through marks into consideration- so I am pretty confident in it. I want to get all of them done for both Chemistry and Physics but if I don't take a day off right now I might just burn out. How did you find maths?

Yeah I thought it was good. 4 Adv Highers?! Jeezo, why so many?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You might take a look at questions (which are mainly homework - whole course) from Calderglen (link)

Here is a sample question paper (link) from SQA also!

Good luck you all.:goodluck:
Original post by JP298
Yeah I thought it was good. 4 Adv Highers?! Jeezo, why so many?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Needed to take 3 for medicine, and couldn't decided between 3 sciences at AH or Biology and Chemistry with AH maths- So I took all 4 hahahaha
I am so ready to be done with Physics- I always find myself doing reasonably well on the first half of papers but mucking up the latter bit (I hate electricity).
Reply 57
Original post by JonathanT
I am so ready to be done with Physics- I always find myself doing reasonably well on the first half of papers but mucking up the latter bit (I hate electricity).

I would have to agree with you, I've came up to this level and have no passion to study most topics any further in uni. The only one I would be interested in is Quantum mechanics. Not too long till the exam now, looking forward to it as it'll be my last!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually quite looking forward to this exam, two other advanced highers i picked have been a total let-down in all honesty. I've really enjoyed the course this year due to the abundance of interesting topics (investigation and electricity not so much). Our two advanced higher physics classes also got a trip to Geneva at the start of February to see the large hadron collider. I'll miss physics :frown:
Original post by MartinDUFC
Actually quite looking forward to this exam, two other advanced highers i picked have been a total let-down in all honesty. I've really enjoyed the course this year due to the abundance of interesting topics (investigation and electricity not so much). Our two advanced higher physics classes also got a trip to Geneva at the start of February to see the large hadron collider. I'll miss physics :frown:

WHAT

What the heck

you got a trip to geneva to see the LHC

what the actual ****

so jealous

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending