Advanced Higher Physics - CFE 2015!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WithoutMuchHope
WHAT

What the heck

you got a trip to geneva to see the LHC

what the actual ****

so jealous

Despite it being for only 4 days, we're still very lucky to experience such a trip. Personally I didn't find the LHC the best feature of the trip, didn't really get much insight and was toured around the smaller factories. I found the UN building to be much more interesting. Each to their own though.
Reply 61
Hi, I would be very grateful if someone could help out with this question taken from scholar:

In a standard air wedge interference experiment, calculate the thickness of the wedge which gives the 10th bright fringe for light of wavelength 456 nm.
Reply 62
Original post by RB2016
Hi, I would be very grateful if someone could help out with this question taken from scholar:

In a standard air wedge interference experiment, calculate the thickness of the wedge which gives the 10th bright fringe for light of wavelength 456 nm.

Never mind, I literally just got it. If anyone's interested the answer is 2.2*10^-6m
Original post by WithoutMuchHope
WHAT

What the heck

you got a trip to geneva to see the LHC

what the actual ****

so jealous

My physics TEACHER got a free trip to Geneva a little before prelims, but the pupils (all two of us) didn't seem to be invited. I'd probably have been a little more enthusiastic about the course if it involved a holiday/"serious" educational trip abroad.
Reply 64
How's everyone doing? I've only done three past papers, 2008-2010. What's everyone else done?
Original post by JP298
How's everyone doing? I've only done three past papers, 2008-2010. What's everyone else done?

I've only done half the exemplar paper so far :redface: Planning to do the specimen paper after and then 3 or 4 Revised AH Physics past papers. The exemplar paper seems too easy compared to what I was expecting :s-smilie: Not the explain questions but the calculation questions seem to be 3 marks for plugging numbers into an equation. I can't really answer the explain questions properly yet cause I still don't know the content well :laugh:
Reply 66
Original post by chopinfan
I've only done half the exemplar paper so far :redface: Planning to do the specimen paper after and then 3 or 4 Revised AH Physics past papers. The exemplar paper seems too easy compared to what I was expecting :s-smilie: Not the explain questions but the calculation questions seem to be 3 marks for plugging numbers into an equation. I can't really answer the explain questions properly yet cause I still don't know the content well :laugh:

Exact same hahaha. I find the problem solving is very easy which is odd as I thought it would of been at least difficult at AH level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
Exact same hahaha. I find the problem solving is very easy which is odd as I thought it would of been at least difficult at AH level

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah exactly haha, it's really weird. Bit worried that the SQA will just throw out some belters and not follow the specimen papers.
Reply 68
Yeah exactly haha, it's really weird. Bit worried that the SQA will just throw out some belters and not follow the specimen papers.

Is this your last exam? What's your plans for after school?
Original post by JP298
Is this your last exam? What's your plans for after school?

I've still got Higher Modern Studies after this and then I'll be finished! Going to Edinburgh Uni to study Geophysics & Meteorology, still need to apply for accommodation though. How about you? :smile:
Reply 70
I've still got Higher Modern Studies after this and then I'll be finished! Going to Edinburgh Uni to study Geophysics & Meteorology, still need to apply for accommodation though. How about you? :smile:

That's my last exam, thankfully! I'm going to Edinburgh as well to study Computer Science + AI, haha. I've already got my offer through for accommodation! Your degree sounds really interesting, how long is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
That's my last exam, thankfully! I'm going to Edinburgh as well to study Computer Science + AI, haha. I've already got my offer through for accommodation! Your degree sounds really interesting, how long is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yasss might see you there then :biggrin: AI is so interesting!! Really wish I'd taken computing at some point cause I definitely would have enjoyed it. Wow that's quick - what accommodation did you get? It's a 5 years integrated masters. I applied for Astrophysics at Edinburgh as well but what I've always been interested in is Meteorology so had to go with that!
Reply 72
Yasss might see you there then :biggrin: AI is so interesting!! Really wish I'd taken computing at some point cause I definitely would have enjoyed it. Wow that's quick - what accommodation did you get? It's a 5 years integrated masters. I applied for Astrophysics at Edinburgh as well but what I've always been interested in is Meteorology so had to go with that!

Yeah, but to be fair i did apply in March, when applications first opened, hahaha. Yeah a might do XD. You'll do a fair bit of programming in your course if I can remember correctly! I got Sugarhouse close so I'm happy with that. Is Physics taught near kings building or is it George Square?
Original post by JP298
Yeah, but to be fair i did apply in March, when applications first opened, hahaha. Yeah a might do XD. You'll do a fair bit of programming in your course if I can remember correctly! I got Sugarhouse close so I'm happy with that. Is Physics taught near kings building or is it George Square?

Oh right that explains things then :biggrin: Yeah I'm pretty sure there's a lot of programming involved in meteorology! Makes me wish I'd taken computing even more. That's great, Sugarhouse Close looks sooo nice! That common room though :^_^: I'm debating between Sciennes, Darroch Court and Sugarhouse Close. Didn't think I'd be able to afford Sugarhouse Close but I got a couple of bursaries from Edinburgh Uni so might be able to! All the space has probably been taken up by now though :frown: I think Physics is taught at George Square for the first year and then at King's Buildings after.
Reply 74
Oh right that explains things then :biggrin: Yeah I'm pretty sure there's a lot of programming involved in meteorology! Makes me wish I'd taken computing even more. That's great, Sugarhouse Close looks sooo nice! That common room though :^_^: I'm debating between Sciennes, Darroch Court and Sugarhouse Close. Didn't think I'd be able to afford Sugarhouse Close but I got a couple of bursaries from Edinburgh Uni so might be able to! All the space has probably been taken up by now though :frown: I think Physics is taught at George Square for the first year and then at King's Buildings after.

Yes, sugarhouse close will still be available. You have no advantage by applying early, they say that it is fair system in which they give out offers. Bear in mind you need to put down 5 choices 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interference by division of amplitude
Interference - application of oil films
Interference - Thin wedge interference
Interference - division of wavefront

Please help me! Any good notes or educational videos? I just can't do any of the explain questions for these!
Reply 76
The day is finally here, Best of Luck troops!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what did everyone think?? Anyone got a copy of the paper?
Reply 78
The paper was not bad! Fair i would say. I hope everyone is happy with how it went

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought it was pretty good! Some tricky parts, but on the whole a very fair paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending