The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Physics - CFE 2015!!!!

I know it's early, but I have decided to make a thread to discuss the new CFE Advanced Higher Physics.
I am aware that some school (including mine) sat the old SQA higher. Consequently, some of us have missed some of the vital topics which will enhance our knowledge in the New Advanced Higher. Therefore, it would be nice to discuss these topics in detail before the new qualification is valid after the old Higher Exam.

The Specimen Paper Link (Just came out last month, looks good)
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/PhysicsSQPAH.pdf

Course Assessment Specification Link: (Although, it says the exam is out of 100 marks in this, the specimen paper is out of 140... Can someone explain why?)
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCASPhysics.pdf

Course Specification Link:
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCourseSpecPhysics.pdf

Course/Unit Support Notes Link:
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHCUSNPhysics.pdf

Assessment Overview Link:
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/AHAssessmentOverviewPhysics.pdf

Looking good so far!

Discuss below.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Special Relativity. Can someone give me some example of possible questions which may be asked for this topic? (New CFE Higher questions)
Reply 2
Original post by Higherdude
Special Relativity. Can someone give me some example of possible questions which may be asked for this topic? (New CFE Higher questions)

I am studying CfE Higher Physics this year and can hopefully give you some insight into the Special Relativity topic.

Basically, you need to know about frame of reference (stationary/moving), time dilation and length contraction when considering objects moving at relativistic speeds.

The relationships for time dilation and length contraction calculations are given on the relationships sheet and are fairly self explanatory, provided you learn what each part represents and how to extract the required data from the question. All you have to do is essentially plug values into the equations.

Question 5 from Section 1 and Question 4 from Section 2 of the CfE Higher Specimen Paper are examples of questions on Special Relativity.

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
This is a late reply but since I start my new timetable on Monday I was looking for any helpful stuff- glad a thread has been made already! The reason it is out of 100 is because the exam will be scaled back so much (For National 5 it was like 2/3) and then they add the assignment mark- which is out of 30 I think. I too did old higher, but I bought a new higher textbook and during the summer I will learn the relevant stuff that I missed out on in CfE Higher

EDIT: I remember seeing some of the stuff I missed out on in CfE higher in some old Advanced Higher notes, so they may be useful as well
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone know what mark the investigation will be out of for the new advanced higher?
[QUOTE=WithoutMuchHope;56329183]Anyone know what mark the investigation will be out of for the new advanced higher?

I am sure it's out of 30
My chemistry teacher went insofar as to say that old higher students will have an advantage over new higher students when it comes to the new advanced higher chemistry course! I wonder if it will be the same for phyics?
Unfortunately I have to do this at another school so hopefully it won't turn out to be a pain! I really enjoyed higher physics.
Original post by wordshark
My chemistry teacher went insofar as to say that old higher students will have an advantage over new higher students when it comes to the new advanced higher chemistry course! I wonder if it will be the same for phyics?
Unfortunately I have to do this at another school so hopefully it won't turn out to be a pain! I really enjoyed higher physics.

It's an advantage for chemistry because they moved a lot of the harder stuff from the old one into CfE advanced higher- sadly a lot of old higher physics will be completely irrelevant to the CfE advanced higher. This is because the old physics had a focus on electronics whilst the new physics has a focus on space and radiation
Original post by UncertainPhoton
It's an advantage for chemistry because they moved a lot of the harder stuff from the old one into CfE advanced higher- sadly a lot of old higher physics will be completely irrelevant to the CfE advanced higher. This is because the old physics had a focus on electronics whilst the new physics has a focus on space and radiation

I'm glad about that then! Space and radiation>>>>electronics
I'm glad about that then! Space and radiation>>>>electronics

Agreed but the one part of electricity I like is electromagnetism, and resonance (tesla coils and stuff). I am glad this stuff is still in the new AH because I know they went over magnets in the new higher. I plan on doing my investigation on something electromagnetism related anyway
Reply 10
Yeah, electronics could get boring in the old higher physics course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Help! Today was my first period of physics and let's just say I've come out dumbstruck. Our teacher has already flung us straight into the investigation and I've been cornered into doing the gravity experimentation except I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to be do! How many experiments am I supposed to do? Do I have to think some of them up? From what I've gadhered he's expecting us to have started the first experiment by next week! Can anyone give me some advice? I'm utterly confused.
Help! Today was my first period of physics and let's just say I've come out dumbstruck. Our teacher has already flung us straight into the investigation and I've been cornered into doing the gravity experimentation except I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to be do! How many experiments am I supposed to do? Do I have to think some of them up? From what I've gadhered he's expecting us to have started the first experiment by next week! Can anyone give me some advice? I'm utterly confused.

You're starting your investigation already? I don't think we're starting until after summer. Your investigation should be something you'll enjoy and if you don't enjoy gravity stuff I'd bring it up with your teacher. Also is anyone going to the Glasgow university thing in like a week or so?
Reply 13
Original post by LLilliputian
You're starting your investigation already? I don't think we're starting until after summer. Your investigation should be something you'll enjoy and if you don't enjoy gravity stuff I'd bring it up with your teacher. Also is anyone going to the Glasgow university thing in like a week or so?

Is this like the theoretical physics or something along the lines of that lecture? We are meant to be going, but it seems unlikely. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=wordshark;56534091]Help! Today was my first period of physics and let's just say I've come out dumbstruck. Our teacher has already flung us straight into the investigation and I've been cornered into doing the gravity experimentation except I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to be do! How many experiments am I supposed to do? Do I have to think some of them up? From what I've gadhered he's expecting us to have started the first experiment by next week! Can anyone give me some advice? I'm utterly confused.

We aren't even starting ours until November at the earliest. Well if you are being forced to do it there are is a bunch of documents that give you details of what you need for investigation experiments, such as equipment and measurements- literally Google Advanced Higher Physics Investigation Ideas and some PDFs will show up- this can also show you other possible investigations you may want to do and you could ask your teacher if you could do that instead
Original post by UncertainPhoton
We aren't even starting ours until November at the earliest. Well if you are being forced to do it there are is a bunch of documents that give you details of what you need for investigation experiments, such as equipment and measurements- literally Google Advanced Higher Physics Investigation Ideas and some PDFs will show up- this can also show you other possible investigations you may want to do and you could ask your teacher if you could do that instead

You all should visit SSERC website on Adv. Higher Physics: link
your teacher may well be guiding you to investigations that they can supply equipment for or arrange a session at another location- school- Heriot Watt labs etc. You should bare this in mind.
Your investigation should be in two or three part experiments, research related to one topic or idea- generally relevant to the course.
I have attached the SQA AH investigation guidance document here.
Its 20% of your overall mark.

Good luck I refuse to get involved in detailed debate on suitability of this experiment or that- discuss with your teacher.

PS the Masterclass will be held on 15th June but spaces are limited and you should know by now if you are going (I think)- I am trying to go along there myself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tomctutor
You all should visit SSERC website on Adv. Higher Physics: link
your teacher may well be guiding you to investigations that they can supply equipment for or arrange a session at another location- school- Heriot Watt labs etc. You should bare this in mind.
Your investigation should be in two or three part experiments, research related to one topic or idea- generally relevant to the course.
I have attached the SQA AH investigation guidance document here.
Its 20% of your overall mark.

Good luck I refuse to get involved in detailed debate on suitability of this experiment or that- discuss with your teacher.

PS the Masterclass will be held on 15th June but spaces are limited and you should know by now if you are going (I think)- I am trying to go along there myself.

Thank you!
Reply 17
Original post by LLilliputian

Yeah, we're definitely going now. Should be interesting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had physics for the first time today. We discussed uncertainties (investigation) - already discussing it. Can't wait to begin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higherdude
I had physics for the first time today. We discussed uncertainties (investigation) - already discussing it. Can't wait to begin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lucky you! We've literally not discussed anything but the investigation and the teacher is wanting us to finish the experiments by the summer holidays.

Quick Reply

Latest