The Student Room Group

Vote for the REAL green party in 2015

The Independent on Sunday Editorial has credited the Lib Dems for helping the low carbon agenda, and called on the greens to "sort themselves out".

The Lib dems have as a minority party in government helped the environmental cause massively:

Creating 200,000 new green jobs by investing in renewable energy. We have already doubled the amount of electricity generated from offshore wind.

Planting 1 million trees in England, the first government tree planting programme since the 1970s.

Introducing a 5p plastic bag charge to help clean up our environment and protect Britain’s natural habitat.

Whilst the "Green" party cant even deliver in their one constituency:

" Greens claim to do politics differently: yet the administration has been a shambles. The recurrent refuse crises are just the tip of the iceberg; the record on recycling and air quality, core Green issues, is poor and lags badly behind other authorities. The Seven Dials Elm Tree episode probably marks the point where the Green administration turned into a laughing stock; a Green Council seeking to cut down a historical elm tree to facilitate a traffic scheme, a Green MP standing underneath it giving press conferences to save the tree, two Green Party activists camped in the tree, the Council Leader in whose ward the tree was situated nowhere to be seen and a councillor for the adjoining ward admitting to voting for the policy because she hadn’t read the papers"

https://notesbrokensociety.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/no-confidence-an-epitaph-for-green-politics-in-brighton-and-hove/
Reply 1
Whilst I admit you make a point,
are you trying to get Students to vote for the Lib-Dems?
Because as the Student Room poll currently backs up, you're kinda flogging a dead horse.

Also as the Greens have never held Westminster power I'm not entirely sure you can say "look at everything the Lib dems have done in power for the environment and yet this one Green council isn't very "Green" therefore the Greens aren't going to deliver if they're in power"

The Greens can't force the people in the constituency to recycle more, if it's a dense population/in a city air quality will be worse, again not much one council can do.

Some of the other issues admittedly are fixable but in my opinion I don't think your drawing a fair contrast at all .
Reply 2
Original post by JJL10
Whilst I admit you make a point,
are you trying to get Students to vote for the Lib-Dems?
Because as the Student Room poll currently backs up, you're kinda flogging a dead horse.
[\quote]

People should vote for whose right not in who is currently popular or not.

Also as the Greens have never held Westminster power I'm not entirely sure you can say "look at everything the Lib dems have done in power for the environment and yet this one Green council isn't very "Green" therefore the Greens aren't going to deliver if they're in power"

The Greens can't force the people in the constituency to recycle more, if it's a dense population/in a city air quality will be worse, again not much one council can do.

Some of the other issues admittedly are fixable but in my opinion I don't think your drawing a fair contrast at all .

The main point I am making is (although this isn't always the case) is that most people who say they vote green usually say that concern for the environment as their main point and that other parties aren't doing enough.

The only thing positive I've heard about Bennett and the green MP are that they are nice. Not being nasty, but my nan is very nice too and frankly judging by the shambles in Brighton could probably do a better job. The greens promise wonderful things but simply can't deliver.
Reply 3
To be honest, the Lib Dems promised a lot to students back in 2010, and were very popular with the student vote.
They then joined a coalition with the tories and allowed for the tripling of tuition fees, extreme austerity (despite quantative easing for banks - but that's another story), benefit reforms and NHS privatisation.
Essentially, they failed us.

Whatever your argument against the Greens, you can't expect students to trust the Lib Dems for another 20 years.

Greens are popular 'cause those on the left have no other viable options left to vote for. This is largely the fault of the Lib Dems.
Reply 4
Original post by Jakkson
To be honest, the Lib Dems promised a lot to students back in 2010, and were very popular with the student vote.
They then joined a coalition with the tories and allowed for the tripling of tuition fees, extreme austerity (despite quantative easing for banks - but that's another story), benefit reforms and NHS privatisation.

Whatever your argument against the Greens, you can't expect students to trust the Lib Dems for another 20 years.

Greens are popular 'cause those on the left have no other viable options left to vote for. This is largely the fault of the Lib Dems.

Iwould recommend you go to Greece sometime to see what extreme austerity is. NHS privatisation has risen by only 1%. True the benefit reforms and NHS reforms were wasteful - given the state of affairs in Brighton I don't see this being reversed by the greens who want the NHS to use homeopathy. Or the greens proposed benefit reforms which would hit the poorest in society fail.
Reply 5
I'm not saying the Greens are perfect, and you're highlighting some serious issues.
What I am saying is that the Lib Dems have proved they're not the solution.
The Greens are all the left has left, so to speak.
Reply 6
Original post by Davij038
The Independent on Sunday Editorial has credited the Lib Dems for helping the low carbon agenda, and called on the greens to "sort themselves out".

The Lib dems have as a minority party in government helped the environmental cause massively:

Creating 200,000 new green jobs by investing in renewable energy. We have already doubled the amount of electricity generated from offshore wind.

Planting 1 million trees in England, the first government tree planting programme since the 1970s.

Introducing a 5p plastic bag charge to help clean up our environment and protect Britain’s natural habitat.

Whilst the "Green" party cant even deliver in their one constituency:

" Greens claim to do politics differently: yet the administration has been a shambles. The recurrent refuse crises are just the tip of the iceberg; the record on recycling and air quality, core Green issues, is poor and lags badly behind other authorities. The Seven Dials Elm Tree episode probably marks the point where the Green administration turned into a laughing stock; a Green Council seeking to cut down a historical elm tree to facilitate a traffic scheme, a Green MP standing underneath it giving press conferences to save the tree, two Green Party activists camped in the tree, the Council Leader in whose ward the tree was situated nowhere to be seen and a councillor for the adjoining ward admitting to voting for the policy because she hadn’t read the papers"

https://notesbrokensociety.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/no-confidence-an-epitaph-for-green-politics-in-brighton-and-hove/

Go back and read the manefesto of 2010, not the detail like tuition fees. but the page after Clegg's intro, the page with their four priorities for Government. Think they've met the environmental aspect?

England hasn't yet got a 5p bag charge, unlike Wales and Scotland (not sure about NI)
Reply 7
Original post by Jakkson

Did you read their manefesto? Especially their priorities which were on paper 4 or 6? (after the contents page and Nick's intro, but before the full content)
Reply 8
Original post by Quady
Did you read their manefesto? Especially their priorities which were on paper 4 or 6? (after the contents page and Nick's intro, but before the full content)

You're missing my point.
I'm not defending the Greens, I'm saying that the reason for Green student popularity is because Lib Dems have failed us, and that asking students to vote Liberal after the current coalition is futile.

The Liberal promises made in 2010 were either ignored or backtracked, and there's no reason to expect anything different from you this time.
Reply 9
Original post by Jakkson
You're missing my point.
I'm not defending the Greens, I'm saying that the reason for Green student popularity is because Lib Dems have failed us, and that asking students to vote Liberal after the current coalition is futile.

The Liberal promises made in 2010 were either ignored or backtracked, and there's no reason to expect anything different from you this time.

And you're missing my point. If students think the Lib Dems failed them then they didn't read their manefesto or listen in the Leaders debates. Nor do they understand what being the minority party of a coalition means.

Why wouldn't anyone expect anything different from me this time? Times have changed since 2010 as have my circumstances.
If you vote for Clegg to stop fracking you might end up with a drill site 2 mins from where you live lol!
The Green party is just a front for communism and abandonment of Western civilisation in favour of capitulation to foreign totalitarianism.

End the war on the jihad: check
End capitalism: check
End alliance with America: check

It has nothing to do with environmentalism and everything to do with pissed off, ignorant, dangerous commies.
No.
Original post by Davij038
Iwould recommend you go to Greece sometime to see what extreme austerity is. NHS privatisation has risen by only 1%. True the benefit reforms and NHS reforms were wasteful - given the state of affairs in Brighton I don't see this being reversed by the greens who want the NHS to use homeopathy. Or the greens proposed benefit reforms which would hit the poorest in society fail.

While it may be true that there has only been a 1% rise in services provided by private bodies, this is not really the concern, as such. The NHS restructuring essentially amounts to a blueprint for privatisation. The Coalition has laid a sturdy foundation for future privatisation. This is worrying.
The Lib Dems are a bunch of backstabbing muggles, no chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending