The Student Room Group

Physics for Medicine

I want to go on to do medicine so i'm definitely doing maths, chemistry and biology. I've been told I should really do physics by parents and teachers but I really want to do philosophy and ethics. I've submitted my choices as maths, chem, bio, phys and an AS in philosophy but I'm doubting myself cos i feel like it might be a lot. I know physics would be useful but how useful physics is it for medicine
Hi, i do, Physics Maths Biology and Economics, personally speaking I find Physics the hardest. Although many Universities would see that you have done all 3 sciences it may give you an advantage over other students depending whether the Universities look at that particular subject. I would say go for it if you enjoy it and can possibly cope with long revision hours because you have probably picked the hardest A Level Subjects. Physics is some cases is quite useful for Medicine but in some cases not. It will boost your overall Scientific knowledge. If you enjoy physics go for it. Your 6th form may allow you to change around your subjects just in case. Do a bit of research on universities that looks for physics as a good subject E.G. UEA, Cardiff etc.

p.s i dont do chemistry but im still applying to two unis without it and have got emails back saying physics is just as good, but only a few offer medicine without chemistry.
Reply 2
Original post by WhosWavey
Hi, i do, Physics Maths Biology and Economics, personally speaking I find Physics the hardest. Although many Universities would see that you have done all 3 sciences it may give you an advantage over other students depending whether the Universities look at that particular subject. I would say go for it if you enjoy it and can possibly cope with long revision hours because you have probably picked the hardest A Level Subjects. Physics is some cases is quite useful for Medicine but in some cases not. It will boost your overall Scientific knowledge. If you enjoy physics go for it. Your 6th form may allow you to change around your subjects just in case. Do a bit of research on universities that looks for physics as a good subject E.G. UEA, Cardiff etc.

p.s i dont do chemistry but im still applying to two unis without it and have got emails back saying physics is just as good, but only a few offer medicine without chemistry.

Thanks 👍 jw what are u lookin to do later on in uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most probably Aerospace engineering or Mechanical Engineering. Why not try Dentistry aswell? Alot of family members are doctors and consultants but surprisingly they said why not try Dentistry; you work fewer hours, earn the same amount, you can work for a practice or open your own, the economy does not change the amount of jobs, you have a very good lifestyle. So instead of spending hours at the hospital you can work 9-5 or less at a Dentist. Just another option. If you enjoy the Medical side go for Medicine. Start research asap and try and look for work experience (with possible family members)? But mostly do it because you enjoy it haha.
Reply 4
Most probably Aerospace engineering or Mechanical Engineering. Why not try Dentistry aswell? Alot of family members are doctors and consultants but surprisingly they said why not try Dentistry; you work fewer hours, earn the same amount, you can work for a practice or open your own, the economy does not change the amount of jobs, you have a very good lifestyle. So instead of spending hours at the hospital you can work 9-5 or less at a Dentist. Just another option. If you enjoy the Medical side go for Medicine. Start research asap and try and look for work experience (with possible family members)? But mostly do it because you enjoy it haha.

Yeh no I was lookin more at sort of the emergency department and workin in a&e but I appreciate it, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gayabalas
I want to go on to do medicine so i'm definitely doing maths, chemistry and biology. I've been told I should really do physics by parents and teachers but I really want to do philosophy and ethics. I've submitted my choices as maths, chem, bio, phys and an AS in philosophy but I'm doubting myself cos i feel like it might be a lot. I know physics would be useful but how useful physics is it for medicine

I'm a medicine applicant who does Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology. In terms of your choice, they're perfectly fine for the vast majority of medical schools. I've seen many medicine applicants who take the three sciences and maths, but do bear in mind that some universities (e.g: UCL) place a small preference on students with contrasting subjects. Taking Philosophy, even if it's instead of Physics, will benefit you marginally with these universities.

In terms of the subjects themselves, the biggest factor is if you're going to enjoy them. By the sounds of it, you really want to do philosophy, but only take physics if you love the subject. It's one of the most respected A Levels out there for a reason: It's not easy. Granted you'll be doing maths, which will make it easier (I do A2 Physics without maths and it's killing me), but if you have a passion for Physics, go for it!

With regards to medicine, the topics covered at A Level Physics aren't that relevant to medicine. I mean, you might have to deal with a little bit of electricity in muscle physiology and the nervous system, but you're at no real advantage knowledge-wise by taking Physics for medicine (any current medical students, please correct me if I'm wrong).

In summary, whether you take the three sciences and maths, Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Philosophy or all five for AS, your subjects will satisfy the entry requirements for pretty much every UK medical school. Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Hmm, we had one lecture on basic fluid mechanics when we were learning about the cardiovascular system, and that's basically the only time anything physics related came up. You definitely didn't need an A level to understand it either.

On the other hand, we had a whole module on medical ethics and legal matters. Again, you didn't need an A level in it to understand it, but it was certainly a more prominent subject than the fluid mechanics.

In short, do whichever you like. You don't "need" physics, and anyone who tells you otherwise is very mistaken. Philosophy and ethics is a fine choice and it would be useful to have a subject which involves extended writing imho.

This isn't true at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
Hmm, we had one lecture on basic fluid mechanics when we were learning about the cardiovascular system, and that's basically the only time anything physics related came up. You definitely didn't need an A level to understand it either.

On the other hand, we had a whole module on medical ethics and legal matters. Again, you didn't need an A level in it to understand it, but it was certainly a more prominent subject than the fluid mechanics.

In short, do whichever you like. You don't "need" physics, and anyone who tells you otherwise is very mistaken. Philosophy and ethics is a fine choice and it would be useful to have a subject which involves extended writing imho.

This isn't true at all.

I said it May haha, a few universities do see Physics as a valid subject though.
Yeh no I was lookin more at sort of the emergency department and workin in a&e but I appreciate it, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah then go for it.
I said it May haha, a few universities do see Physics as a valid subject though.

Of course it's a valid subject, but it's not going to give you any advantages - there's no "may" about it :wink:
You really don't need physics. I've got 3 offers for medicine this year (including Cambridge which is the one which arguably likes physics the most). So take philosophy and ethics if you prefer it and are likely to get a better grade in it.

Anyone with brains can figure out philosophy and ethics on their own. But not everyone can understand physics without teaching. The reasoning skills you developing physics also assist with figuring out philosophy and ethics and will be far more applicable in the field of medicine.
Original post by Democracy
Of course it's a valid subject, but it's not going to give you any advantages - there's no "may" about it :wink:

I've found that those who didn't study physics often attained only shallow understanding of complex topics in orthopedics, cardiology, radiology, radiation oncology and generally had less appreciation for how a lot of the technology used in medicine works.

While you don't have to know physics to be a good doctor, I think the best doctors have a strong grasp on fundamental physics concepts and frankly this cannot be taught to any level of depth during the medicine course due to time constraints.

You won't need physics to pass medicine, but all things being equal, you will have a greater understanding of the field of medicine with the knowledge of physics than without it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending